Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Coil Bowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Bowing

Driver:

Passenger:

Never had to deal with coil bowing in my XJ but it appears I have to deal with it here. So, 79 F150 460 C6 4x4 (I'm pretty sure no lift because the front coils measure 13") just to get that out of the way. I've read that I need to replace the spring lower mount in order to fix this, something about them bending easily. But I wanted an experienced opinion so I turn to you all.
I'm thinking, replace the lower coil mounts, go ahead and toss in 1-2" taller coils to level the truck out. Does this sound like a decent idea to all those out there? Also... What on earth is that wedged into my coils on either side?
Old 11-19-2016, 11:50 PM
vertical pin buster

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks like what ever is in between the the coils need to come out
Old 11-20-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Spring Spacers

Jack up the front end to take the load off of the springs.
Take those twist-in spacers out. They were installed wrong.
Depending on the size, use either a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet, fit it in the square hole in the spacer and twist them out. The springs will straighten.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:38 PM

So thats how they come out. I lifted up the front end to stretch the coils and then started pulling on them with rope

no luck for the record
Old 11-20-2016, 04:38 PM

They were a cheap (and unsafe) alternative to longer springs or firming up worn springs. I'm not even sure if they are sold anymore. They should have been installed off-set with one inboard and one outboard, two coils apart to keep the spring in-line, preventing exactly what you have now. As for longer springs, I would not go longer than 2' past what you have now unless you plan on using a dropped pitman arm, etc. You might find that a good set of new spec springs will be enough to put it back to the correct factory ride height.
The following users liked this post:
LittleBlue79 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 84ordF150
They were a cheap (and unsafe) alternative to longer springs or firming up worn springs. I'm not even sure if they are sold anymore. They should have been installed off-set with one inboard and one outboard, two coils apart to keep the spring in-line, preventing exactly what you have now. As for longer springs, I would not go longer than 2' past what you have now unless you plan on using a dropped pitman arm, etc. You might find that a good set of new spec springs will be enough to put it back to the correct factory ride height.
Thank you for the information. Do they have a dropped pitman arm for 2"? I saw the ones for 4" but I wouldn't do that anytime soon if at all.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by LittleBlue79
Thank you for the information. Do they have a dropped pitman arm for 2"? I saw the ones for 4" but I wouldn't do that anytime soon if at all.
You shouldn't need one for a 2" or less increase in height. I would however have the front end aligned after removing the spacers and/or changing the springs.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 84ordF150
You shouldn't need one for a 2" or less increase in height. I would however have the front end aligned after removing the spacers and/or changing the springs.
I took it to firestone to get aligned last week and they told me they couldn't align it until I replaced all the tie rods and ball joints.

Just gonna get a whole new steering setup with adjustable tracbar from Jeff'sBroncoGraveyard
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 PM

Default Lift

I raised my 4wd Twin Traction Beam front end with 2" billet spacers that are installed in the lower spring saddles (no different than 2" longer springs).
No dropped pitman arm. Given the nature of the TTB front end, the upper ball joints required eccentrics to insure caster/camber alignment. TTB does not play well with any lift more than 2" without changing radius arms, pitman arm, etc. as it throws the geometry completely off.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by LittleBlue79
I took it to firestone to get aligned last week and they told me they couldn't align it until I replaced all the tie rods and ball joints.

Just gonna get a whole new steering setup with adjustable tracbar from Jeff'sBroncoGraveyard
I have a sneaky suspicion they didn't notice the twist-in spacers. They would have mentioned to you......like i did. Firestone is who aligned my front end after i put in the saddle spacers.....they installed the eccentrics in the ball joints to align it.