Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Chop a 78

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:33 PM
All Fords

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Chop a 78

Hi all ford fans.
I have a 78 F-100 shortbed, future project.
Plans are to remove the 302 and install a 460.
I have a 78 parts truck with all the mounts and goodies, so the swap will be easy.

I'm thinking I want to chop the top say...2-3 inches.
I have a donor truck.
Anyone here done a chop on this model?

Thanks
Steve
Old 12-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Almost Done .

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't whats 2-3 inches ...
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 AM
All Fords

Originally Posted by ShaenInsane
I wouldn't whats 2-3 inches ...

Not enough?

4-5 maybe?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Almost Done .

I say it'd be better Factory.. I hate it when people try to take old trucks and customize them and ****.. Leave it all original , But your truck show pictures after the vut and after your done..
Old 01-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what the hall is the opint of putting all of the work to have a stock 78? why would that be any more fun to have than any other truck on the road.

I woudl say chop it about 5 inches, shave it, put that big rat motor in it and some nice rims and tires, and paint it a nice deep purple or dark candy blue.

now that would be one HOT truck.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Almost Done .

Because it's an antique thats why, and if your going to put all the work into it then why not leave it like it is.. and its not that much work to do a motor swap..
Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

exactly, if its not a clasic, why not do it upthe way you want.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM

i wouldnt chop it more then 4 inches myself.but before you do,price everything out like glass.custom windshields and back glass are not cheap.what type of seats are you putting in?if you want to see how it well feel,take out your factory seat and set up blocks on the truck floor at the hight the seats will be at.unless you plan on using the factory seats.then take some foam or cardboard and tape it to the inside of the roof at the height you plan to chop.see if you like it or not.i'm 6foot 4 i need all the head room i can get.a friend of mine does custom chops.and its a lot of work. but its youre ride do what you want
Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

We don't have to like it, but IMO put that money elsewhere in the truck. Make her look good without the chop top.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM
All Fords

Originally Posted by onall4x4
i wouldnt chop it more then 4 inches myself.but before you do,price everything out like glass.custom windshields and back glass are not cheap.what type of seats are you putting in?if you want to see how it well feel,take out your factory seat and set up blocks on the truck floor at the hight the seats will be at.unless you plan on using the factory seats.then take some foam or cardboard and tape it to the inside of the roof at the height you plan to chop.see if you like it or not.i'm 6foot 4 i need all the head room i can get.a friend of mine does custom chops.and its a lot of work. but its youre ride do what you want

Great idea to block the seat up.

This truck isn't "pristine". Like most old trucks, it has issues.
I bought it about 8 years ago, drove it for 2. Parked it. Use it on the farm once in a while just to keep the brakes, etc. from freezing up.
I,m the third owner.
It has a very tired 302 in it.
Cab is basically rust free for the most part.
Bed has issues. Needs new wood.
Outside supports that are spot welded onto the bedsides, rust is creeping out from where they join. Another .....what to do with this mess...

I haven't really decided on actually chopping the top.
Yes I realize it would be a lot of work and cost.
I may never do it, as #1 I would need to find a bodyshop close to home to do it. And I would only want the basics done, or help in getting it done.
I also don't feel that "this is the truck to restore to original".
Its just not that clean.

Besides, I haven't had a hotrod car or truck since around 1975, something to take out once in a while and blow the doors off of something else.

Just missing the power of a nicely done street thumper.

Quick Reply: Chop a 78