Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on headrests in B&O unleashed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 10:38 AM

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Question on headrests in B&O unleashed

I had carharrt seat covers for my past Ford trucks.
I usually only install them during hunting seasons or when working cows.
To install them you need to take the headrest off to pull the covers over the seat top and pull down.
Then reinsert the head rest.

Can this be done with the B& O unleashed? Or because of the speakers in the headrest, are they not removable?
Old 10-04-2021, 11:29 AM

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, but you need to disconnect the speakers and use a small allen or screwdriver to release.

The following users liked this post:
antho (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 01:02 PM

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by zyvin
Yes, but you need to disconnect the speakers and use a small allen or screwdriver to release.

this is great info and will certainly be helpful. So thank you. But it also tells me my present seat covers may not be compatible as there are times I used them for just one day, and this looks like too much trouble for one day.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Yea, If it were only a couple of times a year it wouldn’t be bad.

I’d cut them to slip over and have someone hem the top around that cut out. You don’t want to block that high fidelity headrest sound anyway, lol.
The following users liked this post:
user 872308923 (10-04-2021)
Old 01-16-2022, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fixed! Here is how to remove in under 10min.

I spent the time to figure this out.

1) move the seat up and bent forward all the way.
2) open the back by removing the two elastic straps at the bottom. See photo. You will have to remove the wire connector plugs from the seat. I couldn't see how to disconnect the plugs but in the end you need to slowly pull out the plastic tree as they still need to come off even with the cables disconnected.
3) release the “J Clip” holding the seat back to the seat bottom.
4) reach up and disconnect the small speaker wire connectors. They have a little flange to press with your finger to release. Disconnect the gray and the black. I laid on my back to reach up.
5) pull up on the head rest to remove. I had to bend the seat back as it would hit the roof preventing removal.
6) use the Allen to release the catch. One headrest allowed me to use the little hole but the other wouldn’t hit the release. It ended up being easier to just put the Allen in along the head rest post and push over the release.
7) remove head rest.
8) reinstall in the opposite order.

literally took me 10 min total on the second seat with the actual seat cover install.

The following 2 users liked this post by glockcop:
antho (04-07-2022), Travis H (12-08-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 08:53 PM

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Warning ⚠️

I was working on this and found a related video warning about the yellow connectors (air bag sensor connections) under the seat, to not try and disconnect these, especially with the truck battery still connected. May cause malfunction in the sensors and potentially in a rare case deploy the airbag. I don't have a strong understanding of the mechanism but wanted to pass along what I learned.

To work around this I simply cut the strap so one end was longer than the other, the intent is so I could re-loop the strap when finished and then tie them off. Seemed to work ok. I also found unzipping the back of the seat much easier than trying to reach way up there blindly.

I have the speaker connectors disconnected, but having trouble with the release of the headrest. My next step is a quick run to the hardware store for a smaller allen wrench.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it hard to feed the wires back through and reconnect them?
Old 12-08-2022, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My seat does not have a zipper.

Quick Reply: Question on headrests in B&O unleashed