Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payload for PowerBoost

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 08:49 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Payload for PowerBoost

After seeing the a PB isn't that much different in price compared to the 3.5EB setup that I was looking at and that the hybrid portion of the PB has a 8 year/100k mile warranty, this got me interested in it. I wanted to put some info together that I have gathered and get input from the community.

According to the various Ford documents the 2021 SCrew 145" 4x4 PB has the following specs:
  • GVWR: 7,350
  • Towing (3.73): 11,000
  • Max Tow(3.73): 12,700
  • Max Payload: 1,830
Compared to a 3.5L EB, which has the following:
  • GVWR: 7,050
  • Towing (3.55): 11,300
  • Towing (3.73): 14,000
  • Max Tow (3.55): 14,000
  • Max Payload: 2,100
So in all the PB has 270lbs less payload than the EB and the PB has 300lbs more GVWR. It looks like the PB weighs about 570lbs more than the equivalent EB.

I saw in another post someone posted 1307 for a loaded Platinum and 1371 for a Limited:
https://www.f150forum.com/f129/eb-vs...2/#post6729000

I also think I can read a Lariat's payload number from a Sasquatch-ish photo I snipped from a youtube video.

Based off how those trucks are equipped and based off the weight numbers from the 2015 payload options, I think this might help give people the ability to try to forecast the payload of the truck they want to order, until we get more data.

Limited: 1371
  • Twin Panel: 64
  • Spray in Bedliner: 45
  • 20" over 18" Rims: 33
  • Step Gate: 40 (will be more with powered lift gate)
  • Powered running boards: 57
  • No FX4 Package: 0
  • Fold Down Work Surface: ?
  • Fold Flat Rear Storage: ?

Platinum: 1307
  • Power Running Boards: 57
  • FX4 Package: 28

Lariat 502A Sport: 1385
  • Step Gate: 40 (most likely more w/ powered gate in Lariat)
  • Fixed Running Boards: 40

My assumptions is all of these vehicles will be pretty loaded to show off the trucks. They will want to show off the new tail gate features that come included with the step, so I am guessing these all have steps. I see the Limited and the Lariat don't have the FX4 package and not everyone loves the sticker. All the videos I saw for the press trucks, the trucks had the spray in liners, which is another assumption. Most higher end trims seem to have the twin panel moon roofs.

Personally I am still weighing the options of the 3.5 EB vs PB. Based off the 502A Sport Lariat, I think a PB would land me around this:

PB Lariat 501A Sport: ~1494
EB Lariat 501A Sport: ~1764
  • Twin Panel: 0
  • Spray in Bedliner: 0
To be honest these numbers feel a little to optimistic, time and more data will tell. What are your guys thoughts?

Sources:
2021 Ford Towing Guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
2021 F-150 Tech Specs: https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...ical-Specs.pdf
2015 F-150 Payload Weights: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ary5Vz-KM3AqvA
Prime Autotainment's Youtube video: "All-New 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost HYBRID Drive & Review"
Removed Link for video as it was embedding the video in the post.

Last edited by solarity; 12-03-2020 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Texas (12-03-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:29 PM

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I think you are pretty much dead on. I am hoping to land somewhere above 1320# with my fully loaded KR PB but the 1307# is worrisome. I am coming from an XLT with 1669# on the sticker, and I'm shedding a net 350# in what I will be loading in the truck as a base, so it will be a wash for me as long as I can get that number.

Regarding the gap between that Platinum sticker and Limited sticker, the only thing I can think of is how Limited does not allow FX4 or max tow. But I don't believe those combine for 64 pounds, so its puzzling. I am *hoping* to gain back a little if the max recline seats from the demos weigh more than the default massage seats because I am adding tow mirrors beyond that Platinum's sticker, but not max recline.

One thing never mentioned, since we don't have a 2021 option sheet (other than the max recline, collapse storage, and work surface) is the delta between the 2.4kW and 7.2kW. Assuming battery and engine are same, the gap should be the 2 phase 30A cable routed to the back propower outlet. And as someone that has to fight with those cables (especially on cold mornings!) they are very heavy. So I wonder if that Limited had a 2.4kW propower vs the Plat had a 7.2kW....
Old 12-03-2020, 08:01 AM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Hybrid Platinum in mind with the 7.2KW Generator onboard when upgrading from my 2019. I was hoping for a payload number of atleast 1800 lbs. I will not be getting a moonroof but the above payload numbers are rather disappointing,,, My current payload is 1589 and I am using every bit of it.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by daemonic3
I think you are pretty much dead on. I am hoping to land somewhere above 1320# with my fully loaded KR PB but the 1307# is worrisome. I am coming from an XLT with 1669# on the sticker, and I'm shedding a net 350# in what I will be loading in the truck as a base, so it will be a wash for me as long as I can get that number.

Regarding the gap between that Platinum sticker and Limited sticker, the only thing I can think of is how Limited does not allow FX4 or max tow. But I don't believe those combine for 64 pounds, so its puzzling. I am *hoping* to gain back a little if the max recline seats from the demos weigh more than the default massage seats because I am adding tow mirrors beyond that Platinum's sticker, but not max recline.

One thing never mentioned, since we don't have a 2021 option sheet (other than the max recline, collapse storage, and work surface) is the delta between the 2.4kW and 7.2kW. Assuming battery and engine are same, the gap should be the 2 phase 30A cable routed to the back propower outlet. And as someone that has to fight with those cables (especially on cold mornings!) they are very heavy. So I wonder if that Limited had a 2.4kW propower vs the Plat had a 7.2kW....
Why would you assume that the 2.4 and the 7.2 have the same battery?
Old 12-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by FedMill
I have the Hybrid Platinum in mind with the 7.2KW Generator onboard when upgrading from my 2019. I was hoping for a payload number of atleast 1800 lbs. I will not be getting a moonroof but the above payload numbers are rather disappointing,,, My current payload is 1589 and I am using every bit of it.
If you are looking at the 4x4 5.5 SCrew, you are not going to get anywhere near that. The 4x2 6.5 looks like it has a much higher payload of 2120 for the PB. I think it will be almost impossible to get 1800lbs w/ a Plat, even with EB. You might have to take of the running boards, not get the step, not get the FX4, and not get any liner. A basic 500A Lariat might hit 1800 w/o running boards. If you need that much payload you might consider the HDPP, though you are really dropping trim levels, unless you go into a SD.

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Why would you assume that the 2.4 and the 7.2 have the same battery?
I agree with him. I would assume it is the same as they don't advertise a bigger battery, which they most likely would in the marketing. Also, a battery is not needed for generating power. For the 7.2kw they most likely use a different inverter, more conductors with thicker gauge wire to supply for the 240v, and maybe even a beefier alternator. It looks like the 7.2kw is the only one that supplies 240v, from what I read the 2kw and 2.4kw only supply 120v.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 AM

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by solarity
If you are looking at the 4x4 5.5 SCrew, you are not going to get anywhere near that. The 4x2 6.5 looks like it has a much higher payload of 2120 for the PB. I think it will be almost impossible to get 1800lbs w/ a Plat, even with EB. You might have to take of the running boards, not get the step, not get the FX4, and not get any liner. A basic 500A Lariat might hit 1800 w/o running boards. If you need that much payload you might consider the HDPP, though you are really dropping trim levels, unless you go into a SD.

I agree with him. I would assume it is the same as they don't advertise a bigger battery, which they most likely would in the marketing. Also, a battery is not needed for generating power. For the 7.2kw they most likely use a different inverter, more conductors with thicker gauge wire to supply for the 240v, and maybe even a beefier alternator. It looks like the 7.2kw is the only one that supplies 240v, from what I read the 2kw and 2.4kw only supply 120v.
The battery is the same but the invertor will be larger and weigh more.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

If I remember right it is a 1.5kWh battery in both, but the 2.4kW would only be 120V @ 20A. I don't know if they split that into 2 circuits to the bed (and the instrument panel gauge) or it is one single 2.4kW circuit. The videos I've seen have all been the 2 circuit, 3.6kW each in the instrument panel. Which is how they get the 2 phases to the 240V nema connector. So in my head I was just thinking of the weight of those 30A cables but yes, the inverter must be a bit beefier too!

So now we just need to exact configured powerboosts, one with 2.4 propower and one with 7.2, and some yellow stickers
Old 12-03-2020, 12:31 PM

After seeing the a PB isn't that much different in price compared to the 3.5EB setup that I was looking at and that the hybrid portion of the PB has a 8 year/100k mile warranty, this got me interested in it. I wanted to put some info together that I have gathered and get input from the community.

According to the various Ford documents the 2021 SCrew 145" 4x4 PB has the following specs:
  • GVWR: 7,350
  • Towing (3.73): 11,000
  • Max Tow(3.73): 12,700
  • Max Payload: 1,830
Compared to a 3.5L EB, which has the following:
  • GVWR: 7,050
  • Towing (3.55): 11,300
  • Towing (3.73): 14,000
  • Max Tow (3.55): 14,000
  • Max Payload: 2,100
So in all the PB has 270lbs less payload than the EB and the PB has 300lbs more GVWR. It looks like the PB weighs about 570lbs more than the equivalent EB.

I saw in another post someone posted 1307 for a loaded Platinum and 1371 for a Limited:
https://www.f150forum.com/f129/eb-vs...2/#post6729000

I also think I can read a Lariat's payload number from a Sasquatch-ish photo I snipped from a youtube video.

Based off how those trucks are equipped and based off the weight numbers from the 2015 payload options, I think this might help give people the ability to try to forecast the payload of the truck they want to order, until we get more data.

Limited: 1371
  • Powered running boards: 57

Platinum: 1307
  • Power Running Boards: 57
  • FX4 Package: 28

Lariat 502A Sport: 1385

My assumptions is all of these vehicles will be pretty loaded to show off the trucks. They will want to show off the new tail gate features that come included with the step, so I am guessing these all have steps. I see the Limited and the Lariat don't have the FX4 package and not everyone loves the sticker. All the videos I saw for the press trucks, the trucks had the spray in liners, which is another assumption. Most higher end trims seem to have the twin panel moon roofs.

Personally I am still weighing the options of the 3.5 EB vs PB. Based off the 502A Sport Lariat, I think a PB would land me around this:

PB Lariat 501A Sport: ~1494
EB Lariat 501A Sport: ~1764
  • Twin Panel: 0
  • Spray in Bedliner: 0
To be honest these numbers feel a little to optimistic, time and more data will tell. What are your guys thoughts?

Sources:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...ical-Specs.pdf
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ary5Vz-KM3AqvA
Prime Autotainment's Youtube video: "All-New 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost HYBRID Drive & Review"
Removed Link for video as it was embedding the video in the post.

Your analysis is fairly close to what I had come up with. The other thing to consider is the PB numbers will be quoted with the 2.4, not the 7.2 invertor and most will get that lowering the payload even more.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by FedMill
I have a plat on order doing as much as possible to help payload. I removed sunroof, FX4 etc. and I am hopefull I will get 1500. Even if you selected a base plat 4x2 with no options at all I suspect you will not be over 1600. If you need 1800+ you need to get a low optioned 302a.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in a similar boat. I have been dropping options:
  • Dropped FX4 for 4x4
  • Spray bedliner for no bedliner
  • Retractable tonneau for no tonneau
  • No moonroof (preference)
But, not sure if this will be enough to get an acceptable payload on a Plat - PB - 4x4 - 6.5" - 701A - Heavy tow package - 7.2kW - Work surface - lockable storage setup. I will be looking to see what payload that fetches but assuming the worst - the next ideas are a bit more drastic -
  • Drop Platinum for King Ranch (don't really like the KR style as much)
  • Forgo the 601A for base 600A package
This would get me to 18" wheels and no power running boards. I am sure that'd get me sufficient payload (hoping for 1450+). But it costs me Active Motion seats. With a back back that hurts in long drives , I have been very keen to include the Active Motion seats. I am not able to see any way to get the Active Motion seats with 18" wheels and no power running boards.

Last edited by Kavm; 12-03-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Payload for PowerBoost