Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F150, Whipple 2.9 Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2019 F150, Whipple 2.9 Install

Hey Guys/Gals,

I searched through all the threads here and on other forums and cannot seem to find an answer to my question. I'm installing the 2.9 Whipple on my '19 F150 5.0. I got the oil pump gears, crank gears, primary tensioners, inverted secondary tensioner, ARP Crankbolt and washer all from MMR. The Whipple and Oil Separator came from Stage3, great deal btw from Lou, at Stage3. The Borla ATAK I just installed yesterday, boy do they sound mean on a stock engine. My question is, where the heck can I find a Harmonic Balancer for this truck? ATI has the 918047 but this is a 6/6 rib which works for the Mustang, but my '19 F150 has 6/4 rib, 4 rib on the A/C. I don't see any parts vendor or manufacturer have a solution so far on-line. With it being the 4th weekend, most places were closed today, so I planned on reaching out to ATI and others on Monday. In the meantime, if someone has any info they could shed some light on I would really appreciate it! I'll be sure to post some pics and videos of the completed build, that's if I can find a good HB.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Why do you want to switch the pulley if you've already invested in crank gears and opg's? It seems with those additions, an upgraded damper wouldn't be necessary.

Other than that, the Roush people switch to a mustang gt damper, but it requires retrofitting the ac compressor to six rib, as you know. If you're still dedicated to a 6/6 balancer, look at the '18 mustang gt balancers, as they are fluid dampers. I put one on my truck.

FWIW, the ati pro damper didn't work with my roush set up. it regularly ate blower belts.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 AM

BTW, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 07-06-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by rojizostang
Why do you want to switch the pulley if you've already invested in crank gears and opg's? It seems with those additions, an upgraded damper wouldn't be necessary.

Other than that, the Roush people switch to a mustang gt damper, but it requires retrofitting the ac compressor to six rib, as you know. If you're still dedicated to a 6/6 balancer, look at the '18 mustang gt balancers, as they are fluid dampers. I put one on my truck.

FWIW, the ati pro damper didn't work with my roush set up. it regularly ate blower belts.
My thoughts behind the damper in addition to the MMR opg, crank gear, chain tensioners and relocator were to basically bulletproof the engine. I did get the ARP Bolt and Washer from MMR as well for the HB. I really dont want to retrofit the a/c pulley to a 6 rib. Sounds like im sol on a 6/4? I should be pretty safe with that set up right? I have the extra money so I figured why not upgrade that HB and eliminate any additional harmonics that are created with the higher RPM's. I'm an IT guy so I always tend to overdo it a little bit to future-proof myself LOL.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by eLeet
My thoughts behind the damper in addition to the MMR opg, crank gear, chain tensioners and relocator were to basically bulletproof the engine. I did get the ARP Bolt and Washer from MMR as well for the HB. I really dont want to retrofit the a/c pulley to a 6 rib. Sounds like im sol on a 6/4? I should be pretty safe with that set up right? I have the extra money so I figured why not upgrade that HB and eliminate any additional harmonics that are created with the higher RPM's. I'm an IT guy so I always tend to overdo it a little bit to future-proof myself LOL.
I'm not the expert around here, but I haven't heard of any of the whipple guys that have upgraded opg's and crank gears worrying about the damper.

If you're concerned still then probably talking to ATI would be your best option, or perhaps Innovator's west, or whatever their name is. FWIW, as I stated earlier, I had all sorts of belt problems when I ran the ATI prodamper on my truck. I had to go back to the stock damper and finally because of the opg concern I installed the '18 mustang gt damper.
The following users liked this post:
eLeet (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Oh, by the way, unless a 6/6 damper causes alignment issues on the whipple, there's no reason you can't run a 4 rib belt on a 6 rib pulley. Depending on where the outer belt lines up with a dual 6 rib, couldn't you just run the 4 rib belt and leave the ac compressor as is and have just the extra ribs on the inside pulley?

My guess is a dual 6 rib pulley will cause the blower belt to be out of alignment

I usually don't answer questions about whipple stuff, but it seems they're aren't many of the whipple guys hanging around here today, so no big surprise if i'm way off base on the answers

Last edited by rojizostang; 07-06-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Likely to end up with more problems going with an aftermarket balancer
Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rojizostang
Oh, by the way, unless a 6/6 damper causes alignment issues on the whipple, there's no reason you can't run a 4 rib belt on a 6 rib pulley. Depending on where the outer belt lines up with a dual 6 rib, couldn't you just run the 4 rib belt and leave the ac compressor as is and have just the extra ribs on the inside pulley?

My guess is a dual 6 rib pulley will cause the blower belt to be out of alignment

I usually don't answer questions about whipple stuff, but it seems they're aren't many of the whipple guys hanging around here today, so no big surprise if i'm way off base on the answers
I thought about doing this too, but my mechanic was worried about it not lining up properly as well. We decided to just go with the stock HB and use the upgraded ARP bolt and washer, since the gears and other parts should prevent any problems. I don't plan on racing the truck or beating it,... too hard!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Pro tip: it takes at least 10 days of topping on the intercooler system each morning when cold before start up to get the air out (even a little air pocket can kill 100 hp because the air gets trapped in the intercooler under the blower)

You will get the best performance with 3.875 on 91 octane and 3.750 on 93 any lower and it will make less power and could kill your motor in a short time.

if your going to race it, consider a cat delete...
Old 07-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Do you still get the air bubbles on the whipple if using one of the vacuum fill radiator devices? I used to use it for the intercooler system on my tvs blower because it was always hard to get the pump primed. With the vacuum fill device, no issues....as long as the pump was running when filling it with the vacuum device. Never had a bubble to deal with afterwards.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RADIATOR-...10070301008005

Last edited by rojizostang; 07-07-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 F150, Whipple 2.9 Install