Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 PM
Kyle Cobb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Issues

While on the way to my family vacation a few weeks ago i noticed something off with my steering on my 2007 Ford F150. When making a turn i noticed resistance in my steering wheel, specially during making a sharp turn such as a U-turn. Pulled over to check my power steering fluid and noticed the levels were normal. There is no noise coming from my power steering pump either.

I was told by a friend that it my be my rack & pinion unit, seeings how the steering has tough spots in it and the problem is also intermittent. However i would like to have some other opinions...

Also, i am having a hard time finding MOTORCRAFT Rack and pinion, i was told i should use rotorcraft due to the fact i have oversize rims and tires on my truck. Is this true or should i also be looking for different brands also.

Thanks for any advise
Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Steering Issues

Before replacing the steering rack, try lubing the steering shaft. The u-joints can dry out and create tough spots like you described. You can squirt some wd40 on the u-joint as a test. If the issue goes away, then replace the u-joints or entire shaft. Technically you can just keep spraying wd40 when needed, but I'm not a fan of that stuff as a "fix" and would rather do it right.
The following users liked this post:
KornCobb09 (07-31-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Since you mention the U-turn, have you noticed any issues with under or over steer? Particularly under steer. Did it feel like your steering was locked up when the steering wheel was fully turned? If so, there's a good chance you have an alignment issue. What issue? Parts or adjustment? You need to take it in. A pot hole or curb could be the culprit and for a sudden change I'd suspect this before a R&P problem. Those problems are usually a long process and not sudden. But, that doesn't mean it never happens.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM
Kyle Cobb

Originally Posted by River1
Since you mention the U-turn, have you noticed any issues with under or over steer? Particularly under steer. Did it feel like your steering was locked up when the steering wheel was fully turned? If so, there's a good chance you have an alignment issue. What issue? Parts or adjustment? You need to take it in. A pot hole or curb could be the culprit and for a sudden change I'd suspect this before a R&P problem. Those problems are usually a long process and not sudden. But, that doesn't mean it never happens.

The most noticeable symptom is when i do make s sharp turn, when i go to turn the wheel back straight the wheel does not correct itself. i have to turn the wheel back to the straight position. No i do not feel it lock up as much as i do just tough to correct itself
Old 07-30-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by KornCobb09
The most noticeable symptom is when i do make s sharp turn, when i go to turn the wheel back straight the wheel does not correct itself. i have to turn the wheel back to the straight position. No i do not feel it lock up as much as i do just tough to correct itself
Sorry, by lock I meant it doesn't return on its own. What you described is the classic symptom for camber and toe being out of alignment.

Last edited by River1; 07-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

4WD? If so it could be a dry or bad u-joint on the transaxle. Could be a dry or bad ball joint also.

River's suggestion of alignment is also spot-on.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Kyle Cobb

Thumbs up

Thanks to all with advise on finding a solution to this problem. Went to a couple of different forums and found quite a few people who had this same problem. Turns out all i had to do was grease the u joints in the steering shaft. Now my steering is as good as new.
First i went and sprayed some WD-40 on the upper and lower joints on shaft. and that helped. Knowing that WD-40 would not last went to my local auto parts store and bought a tube of lithium grease. then greased up both U-joints on the steering shaft after doing so i turned the steering shaft back and forth. Now everything seems normal.
AGAIN, thanks and hope this ti bit of information helps.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Glad you followed up with grease - the WD40 would actually break down what little grease was left in the u-joints. And the feedback to the thread is great for future reference by new members!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:56 AM

Received 170 Likes on 122 Posts

Last edited by 4js8wh; 09-01-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:13 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Nice job Lew !! you saved the man $500 for a new rack and pinion...

Quick Reply: Steering Issues