Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Remove Objects from Pass seat area warning on 2011 Lariat how to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 03:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Remove Objects from Pass seat area warning on 2011 Lariat how to fix this?

Guy told me to move here maybe someone knows sure appreciate many help
Getting the "Remove objects from around passenger seat" warning.on my 2011 Lariat....of course there's none there.

Pass airbag light comes on with no one in seat and sets it off
Now I or my wife can SIT on the seat and warning will go off...but only for 1-2 times starting with no passenger occupant then comes back on.
Think I need a new passenger seat airbag weight sensor, or need help to try to clear it
I've READ clear the warning but NO one says HOW

Ford in their infinite wisdom has built the sensor INTO THE SEAT TRACK!! You have to replace the entire track to
change the sensor!! (1580.00 retail what a crock)

Soooo...hoping someone who has had this problem can tell me how to fix w/o getting a 2nd mortage for my home
ANY ideas/suggestions welcomed...Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
steezmagee (01-20-2024)
Old 09-14-2022, 04:00 PM

Received 1,657 Likes on 930 Posts

If you think that's a crock, try replacing the rear taillight housings on a 2021 ...
Old 09-14-2022, 04:46 PM

Trade you my taillight housings for your pass seat. This is a 2nd truck for hauling crap to dump etc after seeing all the costs involved I'll keep my Titan as 1st choice but seriously need expert advice on how to deal with this short of paying better part of 2000 to change that sensor. Ford runs great has the 5.0 but is miled out at 196000 not dumping another 2 in it that for sure.Still looks pretty good but needs rocker panel and cab corner covers

Last edited by tbird71; 09-14-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:16 PM

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird71
"Remove objects from around passenger seat" warning.

airbag weight sensor,
I don't know how that warning is generated but the words do not really fit a weight sensor. "around passenger seat" seems like it would be generated via some other sensor. Just looking at the words. Maybe a weight sensor under the carpet or something.

Anyway I would dig into what actually causes that specific error message. It should be out there somewhere. There's no sign that replacing an airbag weight sensor will fix it.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:44 PM

No thats the sensor warning actually means there is weight on the seat
at any rate you sit on the seat light goes out cant believe no one has got that warning before
Old 09-14-2022, 05:53 PM

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Weird grammar.

I saw something on the internet about checking the connector to the sensor. Unplug it, plug it back in.

There's actually quite a few reports of it. It's a general problem, not F150 specific. Good luck.

https://www.fixya.com/cars/t21287196...e_objects_near

p.s. if it was mine and the sensor really is in the rail then I'd guess that the rail is tight or warped or misadjusted, causing an erroneous weight reading on the sensor. I'd probably sit in the seat and work it back and forth to try to loosen things up. Find out what is pushing on the sensor. Examine how it works. Maybe there's just some typical gunk on the moving parts.

Last edited by BareBonesXL; 09-14-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:32 PM

Received 946 Likes on 749 Posts

You have an issue with the "Occupant Classification System". Here's a description of it from the WSM:

Occupant Classification System (OCS) System The Occupant Classification System (OCS) system is found only on the front passenger seat. The OCS system classifies the size of the front passenger seat occupant and provides this information to the RCM . The RCM uses this information (and other inputs) in determining the deployment strategy of the passenger air bag and pretensioner. The OCS system is comprised of 4 OCS weight sensor bolts that are mounted to each corner of the seat track and serviced as an assembly with the seat track. The OCSM is mounted to the electrical bracket underneath the seat cushion pan and can be serviced separately from the seat track assembly.

The OCS system is also used for operation of the passenger Belt-Minder®. For information on the passenger Belt-Minder® feature, refer to Section 501-20A . To deactivate or reactivate the passenger Belt-Minder® feature, refer to Section 413-01 or the Owner's Literature.
You REALLY need to pull the fault codes from the OCSM to see what it's complaining about. Forscan with the recommended OBDII adapter can do this.

BareBonesXL (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:30 PM

Good to know, I will try that. Thanks
I checked yellow plug under seat it has a RED clip that slides back and forth I slid it open and pulled on the connector
then pushed it back in snugly and slid the connector tab back. No warning lights in 6 or so starts maybe I got lucky
and cleared it but will still do check of OCSM
steezmagee (01-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Remove Objects from Pass seat area warning on 2011 Lariat how to fix this?