Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

DIY Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default DIY Oil Change?

Is there any truth to the rumor I've heard that FMC may void your warranty if you have engine damage and didn't have the oil changes done by the dealer? Anyone have any facts one way or the other?

I've had the dealer service my 2010 a couple of times and I guess I don't mind too much, but I normally like to do my own oil on my own time and was thinking.... what would happen if I skipped them a few times and did it myself? Seems like before throwing in the towel they would need an oil sample to determine if I had been negligent.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

just keep your receipts for oil and your own record.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.
I changed my own oil using FRAM ToughGuard oil filters.
I spent a little extra cash for them thinking they were better than the regular filter.

I also used Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Long story short: My truck started acting funny, th dealer voided my extended warranty and said I needed a new engine due to "using an aftermarket oil filter"

Even tho in the manual it says Ford "recommends" not requires oem oil filter.
I called a lawyer who mostly deals with litigation against dealers who told me "The dealers can void your warranty if you don't use oem".

So everyone who goes to Jifflylube or any of them oil change garages are in for a big surprise if something goes wrong with their warranted engines.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM

ouch, so i guess we have to use all ford stuff? and i was gonna start using amsoil too.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM

WOW! First vehicle I ever owned where I couldn't use what I wanted, not that I would use Fram, but wow!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 PM

I have always changed my own oil, so my eyes opened wide when NetTek said that could be cause to void the warranty. I was also looking at Ford's extented warranty at fordwarrantys.com. Pulled up the actual document and here is what is said: (italics added)

9. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR CARE OF THE VEHICLE: To obtain coverage or
reimbursement for under this Agreement, You must: (i) properly operate the Vehicle
and (ii) provide proof of Scheduled Maintenance Services. Proof of Scheduled
Maintenance Services includes maintenance records that show mileage, date of
maintenance service, VIN and the maintenance that was performed.
Scheduled Maintenance Service require periodic service checks based on mileage
intervals and the make and model of Your vehicle. Please review the Owner’s Guide
for Your Scheduled Maintenance Service requirements that are provided to You at the
time of vehicle purchase. If You perform Your own Scheduled Maintenance Services,
You must maintain a log including date, mileage and description of each maintenance
service and provide corresponding receipts for purchases of parts and fluids.

Nowhere is the use of OEM parts mentioned. But I think to be on the safe side, I will probably start using OEM filters. For oil, I would still be comfortable using Mobil 1 since I am sure it exceeds any specs listed in the manual. (Does Ford have a synthetic or specify a special oil for the EcoBoost?)

Again, this is for an extended warranty - which is sounding like a good idea after reading some of these threads.

Last edited by 1954viper; 06-02-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM

I have no problem using Motorcraft filters. I don't mind letting the dealer do it, the price is usually reasonable for a straight up oil change, but I like doing that sort of stuff on the weekend on my schedule instead of waiting around. I know some say they are in and out in 20 minutes but my experience so far is an hour - and I've used different dealers.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 PM

In order for a company to oblige you to use the OEM products, they have to supply it to you at no charge. Not aware of any company that offers that. The filter is just a piece of folded paper, it's not rocket science!!! and oil is oil. I happen to start my truck between-35C and 10C four months out of twelve like thousands of people here in the North and our motors still survive. I just dont beleive the 5w20 stories. Do your regular maintenance and all will be fine...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Curmudgeon

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1954viper
If You perform Your own Scheduled Maintenance Services,
You must maintain a log including date, mileage and description of each maintenance
service and provide corresponding receipts for purchases of parts and fluids.
So, here's the question I have.

Let's say you buy your Motorcraft filters by the case and you buy your motor oil when it's on sale. Your purchases of oil and filters don't necessarily align with the oil changes you've recorded in your log. How do you then prove that you've serviced the vehicle in accordance with the maintenance schedule?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford does not and can not mandate OEM filters, but they can hold you to filters that meet their standards. Fram is not top of the line, but I think they would have a major PR issue if Ford denied a warranty claim because the owner used Fram filters. Or any other name brand filter or oil. The key is to be able to show dates and mileage, plus receipts if need be, to indicate that you at least purchased the stuff. And if not, small claims court is a wonderful place to drag a nasty dealer who tries to shaft you.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change?