Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Decrease of 4 MPG after dealership service

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decrease of 4 MPG after dealership service

Hi everyone. I am new here and I hope that someone might be able to point me in a direction on my problem, Thank you in advance for reading this and offering up any suggestions

I have owned my 2014 F150 3.5 ECO for about 5 years now and I have a 16 mpg average around town. I recently when in for warranty service because I was smelling some fluid burning. My truck has 92k on it and I have the best FORD ESP plan you can get.

So when it was in, I had them go ahead and do plugs and coils. I was going to do them myself, but they offered me a great price seeing that they were tearing into my truck anyways. After I got it back, my mpg dropped about 4 mpg. First they said it was the computer and it had to reset itself. Then when that was not the answer, they blamed it on my plugs (SP534) and told me that Ford recommended SP580X. So they replaced them at no charge if I bought the plugs. Well, that did nothing to remedy the problem either. I would like to add that I am getting 12.5mpg consistently. Whether I am driving in the city, highway or pulling my Kubota L3902 tractor. It is always 12.5. It is like something is dragging in the engine and I feel like I don't have as much power either (I live near the mountains). They have looked it over twice and keep telling there is nothing they could have done that is causing this. I am hoping that someone on here could throw up some possibilities. I am at my wits end trying to get this figured out. I am almost ready to sell the truck and switch to another brand (My Ford dealer is horrible, I could rant about them for hours).

Below is everything they did on that visit. I am wondering if anything with the turbo could be causing this.

VERIFIED CONCERN FOUND VALVE COVERS LEAKING REMOVED AND
REPLACED VALVE COVER GASKETS AND CLEANED AND CHECKED FOR
LEAKS NO LEAKS AT THIS TIME

BL3Z-9430-D MANIFOLD ASY
1 BL3Z-9448-C GASKET
1 CL3Z-9450-A GASKET - EXH
9 -W712244-S300 STUD
9 -W701706-S430 NUT
1 BL3Z-6584-A GASKET
1 DL3Z-6584-C GASKET
2 BR3Z-6C535-B SEAL - VALVE

VERIFIED CONCERN PRESSURE TESTED AND FOUND TURBO COOLANT
FITTINGS LEAKING COOLANT ON PASSENGER SIDE REMOVED TURBO AND
REPLACED LINES AND FITTINGS REINSTALLED AND PRESSURE CHECKED
ALL WORKING PROPERLY

BL3Z-9G441-E TUBE ASY
1 CL3Z-9450-A GASKET - EXH
3 -W715673-S900 BOLT
1 BL3Z-8A520-A TUBE ASY
1 BL3Z-8K153-AB TUBE - WATER
2 BL3Z-6A968-B CONNECTOR
1 BL3Z-6A968-C CONNECTOR
1 BL3Z-6A968-JD CONNECTOR
1 BL3Z-9450-A GASKET
1 BL3Z-9N496-A ADAPTOR
2 -W716667-S900 STUD
2 -W520514-S440 NUT - HEX
2 VC-13-G ANTI-FREEZE
2 7T4Z-8527-A SEAL

CUSTOMER WANTS A TUNE UP AND BELTS REPLACED.
TUNE UP AND BELT REPLACEMENT COMPLETE.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:55 PM

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Welcome.
The following users liked this post:
GregGagnonF150 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:02 AM

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

Take it back.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:16 AM

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Hope its not something really dumb like they installed a new air filter but left the plastic on the filter. LOL. I've heard of techs doing dumb stuff like that before.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:11 AM

Received 467 Likes on 415 Posts

Do you have any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)? As a first step I would take your truck to Autozone or other and have the DTCs read, its free and takes 5 minutes. You may not have any DTC but this is the first step.
You or a local shop should check and make sure the Mass Air Flow (MAF) is plugged in to its connector. Check and make sure the air filter housing is installed properly with no gaps. Check and make sure the flexible air inlet hose to the throttle body is connected and secure.
There are diagnostic programs on the market (Forscan, TorquePro and others) but unless you feel comfortable doing your own diagnostics I would take it to another Ford dealership or a well equipped local auto repair shop for a diagnostic. In general air flow and temperature sensors are the issue when mileage is concerned. There are about seven air temperature sensors on my 2007 4.6L but only a couple related to engine performance.
Excessive fuel consuption will eventually destroy your catalytic converters.
Please post back with the results of these checks and also when the final solution is reached, we all learn form these posts.

Last edited by Jimboy; 04-29-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:00 AM

I do have TorquePro and I have been looking at some readings, but I really don't know have any reference points to go from. There are no DTCs stored as I do have a scan tool also. I do feel there is something not connected back properly. I will google about air temp readings so I can get a reference to my readings.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:00 AM

I have taken it back to the dealer 3 times. They say there is nothing wrong.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:01 AM

Received 467 Likes on 415 Posts

You are likely getting the same tech at the same dealership. I think you need a different set of eyes to look into this problem. Have you cleaned the MAF? Use only MAF cleaner.
I doubt this is your issue but excessive back pressure in the exhaust system will cause lack of power and higher fuel consumption.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:16 AM

I found out that the repair was done by an apprentice tech after the shield flew off going down the highway and the 4 wheel drive did not work. They determined he did not put all the twist locks in and failed to reconnect the 4wd transfer motor connector.

So I took it back at a later date and they claimed they had there most senior tech go over the repair and found nothing wrong.

Once I get it back from the body shop (the dealership scratched my fender and dinged my door in three places), it will be going back to them again.

I was just hoping I might be able to find something that will take them in the right direction. I could Take it somewhere else but then I have to pay out of pocket. It is their fault and I believe they should fix it.

I am going to go over all the air flow parts this afternoon.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:57 AM

Received 1,169 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGagnonF150
I found out that the repair was done by an apprentice tech after the shield flew off going down the highway and the 4 wheel drive did not work. They determined he did not put all the twist locks in and failed to reconnect the 4wd transfer motor connector.

So I took it back at a later date and they claimed they had there most senior tech go over the repair and found nothing wrong.

Once I get it back from the body shop (the dealership scratched my fender and dinged my door in three places), it will be going back to them again.

I was just hoping I might be able to find something that will take them in the right direction. I could Take it somewhere else but then I have to pay out of pocket. It is their fault and I believe they should fix it.

I am going to go over all the air flow parts this afternoon.
wow, what a horrible ordeal. Sounds like a combo of crappy work, with some ‘we don’t find a problem’ treatment mixed in for good measure!

id be curious to know if those ford warranties/service plans only pay out at the “warranty rate” and not at their normal rates. Not that that would/should be an excuse, but might explain putting the lowest level person on the work.

Quick Reply: Decrease of 4 MPG after dealership service