Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Catylitic converter glowing red hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catylitic converter glowing red hot?

Drove my 92 Ford Flareside to work one day and the next morning when i started it up it was making loud snapping and popping noises and when i looked underneath the truck the catylitic converter was red hot.Someone told me the cat was clogged up.I cleaned everything out of it and it is still doing the same thing.Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 218 Likes on 193 Posts

Welcome to the site!

When you say you cleaned everything out of the cat - I'm assuming you cut the pipe and hollowed out the catalyst, then made sure everything was blown clear before reattaching the pipe?

Is the truck running normally - or, perhaps a better way to ask - is there anything else unusual? Is the exhaust otherwise restricted?

Next thought after a plugged converter is that unburned fuel is somehow finding its way into the exhaust.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM

Yes, everything was blown clear before attaching the pipe.Their are no other restrictions.The truck is not running right.It just spits and sputters and makes popping sounds and the cat will get real red hot.We just put on a new exhaust and tailpipe a couple day's before this started happening.Also after putting on the exhaust we noticed a leak in one of our gas tanks.We have dual tanks on this truck.We were going to try to use the back tank until we got this tank replaced but we can't get it to switch to the back tank.It always shuts the truck off when we flip the switch.Before we could get the tank changed all this started with the cat.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You need to check for codes and post any you get. It sounds like the truck is running rich. Also, the tanks are probably switching but the fuel pump is bad in the rear tank. How bad is the leak? Parts stores have gas tank repair kits that have putty you put on the hole.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM

I did a code check and got code 121 and code 111. The tank seems to be dripping pretty good.We think their is a hole under the strap somewhere.The tank looks to be all wet.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Code 121 means closed throttle voltage higher or lower than expected. This means either the throttle position sensor is out of adjustment or it is bad. This can make it run rich, but I would think you would get an oxygen sensor code as well. Code 111 is system pass, it means nothing. You will have to get a better look at the leak to see if the putty will work for you. See how big the hole is and check the directions of the repair kit to see if it will handle it.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 AM

The truck will sit and idle fine.We don't have a problem until we press on the gas,then it starts to pop real loud and jump.I was told it might be the fuel pump or fuel filter.Not sure.Going to check these before replacing side gas tank.Still can't get back tank to work.When we flip switch to back tank it shuts truck down.Could this be the fuel tank selector switch on the dash or the fuel slector valve, or is this a bad fuel pump also? Please help. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel could be any of the three. To test the rear pump open the tank door and cap and listen for a whirring sound as someone turns the ignition on with it selected in the rear position. The popping and red cat sounds like a restriction in the exhaust check and see if the muffler was installed in the correct direction also try with the muffler disconnected to see if the same popping and stuttering occurs.

Quick Reply: Catylitic converter glowing red hot?