Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

Hi, I have a 99 Lariat, 5.4 litre. I had a dead battery and replaced with new. Next day new battery dead, charged up ran it, next day same result . Had battery load tested. Battery is good. Took amp draw and was drawing 1.65 amps and upward. It should be 20-50 milliamps so I have a drain.

With key key out, my blower and turn signals run and I hear the fuel pump priming. I took apart dash pulled relays of fan and signal. Amp drain went down minimally and my battery still went from 13.1 volts over night to 7-8. volts So i don't suspect relays. Question is: should I looking at the ignition module as a culprit leaving the truck in the on position overnight ( but would not my radio be powered as well)or some of these problems related to the GEM module? Or has anyone had similar issues with these types of issues and found a different solution?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 AM

I am also facing same issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue but only 0.5 amp draw. I just found this out today and tomorrow I plan on going through and pulling each fuse one at a time with the multi-meter connected to see if I can focus in on the problem. Good luck on locating your problem!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Going to go through fuses as well and at least eliminate any othe amp draws before I have a look at GEM module and check to see if can see any obvious signs of water damage from a possible leaks from melting snow etc. Through windshield seal. Have not seen are jiggled any loose wires in steering column so far. A wiring schematic might be handy tool, going to pick up a Hayes manual most likely. Good luck, hope u find your parasitic drain.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:43 PM

I just located my problem. When I pulled fuse 21 the reading dropped to 0.0. I was still on 10A scale though but at least I know the area. Fuse 21 is cluter keep alive... not sure where to go from here though.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 PM

My issue ended up being the little rolling **** next to the steering wheel that controls the brightness of the cluster lights. I'm not sure if it is a loose connection or what but when I moved the **** up and turned on the cargo lamp it came on and then after I turned it off things were back to normal. When I press unlock on the key fob the cargo light comes on and when I open the door my interior dome light comes on. No more parasitic draw! I also sealed the third brake light using silicone because leaking is a known issue for the Ford F-150's. Hope you find your problem and get it fixed. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Glad to hear u found your drain problem. My is still ongoing. I pulled all fuses today and had amp draw drop off significantly( I am guessing within normal range). with these two fuses: #15 a 5amp fuse which is for stop lamp switch, ( speed control brake, shift interlock, abs, pcm module inputs), gem module, RABS test connector. And #22 a 10amp fuse which is for, air bag module, passsenger air bag, deactivation module, climate mode switch ( blower relay). Not exactly sure where to go with this, I did notice when these fuses in I could hear what would describe as air leaking out of something but cant seem to pin point location. Not sure what that would come from. So as far as can tell these two fuses contain one or more possible suspects that are causing a drain.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 PM

Been a while since last post but I wanted to post a update. I had been busy with work and did not touch my truck for over a month. I reconnected my negative terminal and started up truck no problem. Turned it off, pulled keys and turned on blower and it did not run. Same with my signals, and fuel pump was no longer priming. I kept battery connected and the next day it started with no apparent battery drain. It's been able to start normally for past weeek or so. All i can guess is that maybe my GEM module did get wet and perhaps it took this long of a while to dry. I wish I had a more concrete mechanical/electrical solution for this problem to perhaps help others with same issue but that's my theory for this problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 PM

my truck did the same thing it was the bcm drawing 2 amps interior #8 fuse
Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 AM

Last edited by 6281970; 12-06-2018 at 01:45 AM.