Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

I知 ready to throw in the towel and see no option other than ask for help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I知 ready to throw in the towel and see no option other than ask for help.

My mom and I are restoring my late fathers old 86 F150. It has sat for about 13 years and I have exhausted all I know and have begun to just throw money at the problem. The issue we are having is that no matter how much throttle I give it the RPMs don稚 come up off an idle.
The engine is 302 and will start and run roughly. I致e replaced the
injectors,
fuel pressure regulator,
plugs,
throttle position sensor,
idle control module,
MAP sensor.
I have also swapped the ECM out With another used one and traced out and tested the omhs on the wireing to the TPS. I知 at a loss on where to turn next and am even considering taking it to a shop and paying someone else to figure it out.
Any help or ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATE.
Thanks George W.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by George Williams
My mom and I are restoring my late fathers old 86 F150. It has sat for about 13 years. The issue we are having is that no matter how much throttle I give it the RPMs don稚 come up off an idle.
Check the throttle cable at both ends.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

EGR valve! Those things always screw up on older trucks and give symptoms as you describe.
You can either buy a new one or pull the one off and clean it out - they get all gummed up.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 PM

The cable is good and I致e pulled the throttle cable off and open the butterfly痴 by hand.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:49 PM

The cable is good and I致e pulled the throttle cable off and open the butterfly痴 by hand.
When you open the butterfly's by hand with the engine idling, it does not increase engine speed?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
When you open the butterfly's by hand with the engine idling, it does not increase engine speed?
no it doesn稚 change the engine rpm. I know it sounds weird and that is why I need help
Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM

no it doesn稚 change the engine rpm. I know it sounds weird and that is why I need help
Are you observing the butterfly plate opening or just turning the linkage? I've seen rare cases where the screws on the plate come out allowing the shaft to move but not the plate itself.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

What is the full maintenance/repair history of the truck (EVERYTHING that you know or can find out from previous owners/drivers)? For each part you've changed: what test did it fail, and did the replacement pass the same test? What is the brand, PN, & source for each replacement part? When did this symptom appear (13 years ago, causing it to be abandoned; the first time you tried to start it; or some time after)? Did it appear suddenly, or progressively? What is the fuel pressure at idle?

(phone app link)

What is the manifold vacuum at idle? Have you checked compression with a screw-in gauge?

(phone app link)

What's the gap on the spark plugs?

(phone app link)

Do you have a Haynes manual, and have you read it? If not, follow the link in this caption:

(phone app link)

It would make it easier for us to help you if you put all the truck's details & history into your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 12-01-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clogged catalytic converter

It sounds like you have the classic symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter...try removing one of the O2 sensors in front of the converter and see if the engine will rev then......
Old 12-04-2018, 06:14 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by old_coot
It sounds like you have the classic symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter...try removing one of the O2 sensors in front of the converter and see if the engine will rev then......
X2

Quick Reply: I知 ready to throw in the towel and see no option other than ask for help.