Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2013 Recall for Transmission Program

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Recall for Transmission Program

Our nightmare started in March 2019, when my husband received a letter in the mail from Ford about a “Safety Recall". I called our local Ford dealership to schedule an appointment to have the recall handled.
Our appointment was scheduled for April 4,2019.I took the day off work and dropped our 2013 F150 off at the dealership. We picked our truck up that same afternoon, under the impression that everything was good to go. The recall had been “taken care of”.
A few weeks later my husband was pulling a trailer for work in tow haul mode. The truck stayed in third gear for an extended period with the engine revving up. Then hard shifted into fourth gear. This issue had never occurred with or without a trailer prior to having the truck in for the recall issue. We kept an eye on everything and for a day or so it seemed to be ok. Until my husband was going to park the truck, when the oil pressure light came on, gauge dropped to zero and the vehicle shut off. It took several attempts to get the truck to crank back up.
We called our service rep at Capital Ford and explained what had been happening and that we wanted the truck looked at again for the recall issue. I believe this was on a Friday April 26, 2019. Our service rep asked that we bring the truck in Monday morning to be looked at ONCE AGAIN.
April 29, 2019 the truck was sitting again at the service department of Capital Ford for an issue that was not there prior to April 4, 2019. While the truck was in the service department to be checked for the issues above, we had them change the oil as well. We received a phone call that afternoon saying that the truck was ready to be picked up. We were told once again that there was nothing wrong with the truck and that everything for the recall was done correctly. So, we left with the truck again hopping that they were right and that everything that had occurred was just a fluke.
The truck did ok for a little bit again. Then again while driving the battery light would flash and then go away. There were a couple times the truck would crank but not start. It would just turn over and the battery light would flash randomly. At this point we were past our wits end with what to do. Every time we took it back to Ford we were told there was nothing wrong. It was getting out of hand having to take time off work to take the truck back and forth to be told nothing was wrong, when clearly there is something wrong.
May 16, 2019 My husband was trying to head back to work from lunch and again the truck would crank but not start. It turned over and the battery light flashed randomly. He was finally able to get the truck to crank after about 30 minutes. He went straight to Advance Auto and bought a new battery and installed it. We attempted to call our service rep about this issue. We could never get a call back, so I left work early took it to a mechanic friend and had him pull any codes that it was showing. I left straight from his shop and went to Capital Ford.

I spoke with our service rep and told him what was going on. At this point I was insisting that we wanted the recall program uninstalled and to have it installed again. Thinking that maybe the program didn’t load all the way. Considering we had no issues until they loaded that program, we were hoping maybe that would fix the issue. Our service rep continued to insist that it had nothing to do with the recall program and that they would look at the truck AGAIN. I had to leave the truck with them and find a way home.
On a side note our service records indicate that this incident occurred on Monday May 20, 2019. However, it was Thursday May 16, 2019. We were out of the country on Monday May 20, 2019 and the truck was sitting in our driveway.
May 17, 2019, we received a call stating that the truck was ready and could be picked up. Again, we were told that they were unable to find anything wrong with the truck. However, the service notes indicate that low voltage codes were identified, but because we had replaced the battery, they just cleared the DTC’s and stated no other concerns present. As you can imagine at this point we are more than pissed about what is going on. We were heading out of the country
Saturday May 18, 2019 and would have to deal with things when we returned.
The week of June 3-7, 2019 the battery light began flashing and then the low oil pressure light for about 30 seconds, then it went right back to normal. This time my father in law stopped in and spoke with someone in the service department. They told him that they also felt this issue was unacceptable and they would speak with the service manager and let us know what we needed to do to get this issue fixed. My father in law also told them that we wanted to deal with a different service rep due to the one we were dealing with couldn’t seem to get anything done to assist us. Later that day my father in law received a call from Ford service department telling him to have us bring the truck in on Monday Morning

June 10, 2019 my husband and father in law were at the service department first thing in the morning to drop the truck off yet again. They spoke with a new service rep and filled her in on everything that had occurred up to that point. My husband told her he didn’t want to be called to pick up the truck until they found what the issues was and that it was fixed. My husband was called that afternoon and told that it could be one of three things. It was either the alternator, something to do with the transmission program, or a wire.

June 12, 2019, we were told our truck was ready and could be picked up. I called the service department twice that same day to try and get some information on what was found prior to us picking the truck up. But could never get a call back, even after leaving messages requesting a call back. My father in law called and was called back within minutes. We were told that a pin in a wiring harness was found to be lose and that was what the issues was. $511.00 to pick it up, $500.00 to diagnose the issue and $11.00 for the pin for the harness. Ok fine… we were told everything was good to go and that we wouldn’t have any more issues.
Fast forward to Saturday June 15, 2019. We were pulling a trailer down I40 we had just passed exit 364 and were going up a hill when the truck suddenly hard shifted and went into “limp mode.” It was like the truck was in neutral, the RPM’s were still high but regardless of pressing the gas we weren’t going anywhere. We were able to coast to the side of the highway, and we turned the truck off.
Hoping like the other times this occurred that it would crank back up, in a few minutes. Well this time it was cranking back up at all. Not only was the truck not cranking we had over $30,000.00 worth of equipment on the trailer behind the truck with no flashers or any kind of lights. At this point we had to call a tow truck to come and get the truck.
We had the truck towed straight to Capital Ford.
Monday June 17, 2019 My father in law and I were waiting at the Ford service department again to speak with them. While waiting the service guys had to push our truck to the back because it still wouldn’t crank. We went in and explained what happened and how upset we were that we were having to leave the truck broken down again with them. The service rep told us they would get right on it and call as soon as they had any information.
Tuesday June 18, 2019, I started to do a little research myself. I found a secondary recall on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. I printed all the information I could find on this new recall program and called our service rep. At that point, I sent an email to, Managing Partner, General Manager, and Customer Service Manager. By 1530 I had not heard anything from our service rep nor anyone else I had sent an email to.
I went in and requested to speak with a manager, at which point I met with Michael (Service Manager). I explained who I was and what had been going on, and how upset I was with how everything was being handled. He explained that at that time they were still trying to diagnose the issue and they didn’t really have much information. He did say that they did receive the new recall information on June 11, 2019 and that with us picking our truck up on June 12, 2019 they didn’t have the “updated program” at that time. Considering we picked the truck up on June 12, 2019 and June 15, 2019 it left us stranded on the side of I40. That the lack of communication within the service department was unprofessional. He told me that he had received my email that I sent earlier in the day. Well one I never sent that email to him and two why was I not called when the email was received by him or anyone else it was sent to. I expressed our concern with the recall program and that we had no issues before that was done.
Our service rep came over and spoke with me. She stated that she had just spoke with the mechanic and that he had found a blown fuel pump fuse and that was what caused this issue. She said the mechanic was getting a new fuse when she came back in and that she would go out and see how that was going. She returned to me about 10 minutes later with the blown fuse in hand.

Last edited by KKInman; 06-19-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Good lord, paragraphs please!
Old 06-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Good lord, paragraphs please!
x2
The following users liked this post:
SlackjawGolf (07-22-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried but it wouldn’t let me due to being over 1000 characters.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Well! That dealership SUCKS!
I’m curious about how they performed the recall on your ‘13 way back then. I was under the impression that the re-program for the ‘13’s is still on hold.
Have you contacted Ford on this matter?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Well! That dealership SUCKS!
I’m curious about how they performed the recall on your ‘13 way back then. I was under the impression that the re-program for the ‘13’s is still on hold.
Have you contacted Ford on this matter?
At some point it was for the 3.5TT trucks, for the 5.0's the programming has been available for at least a month now.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
At some point it was for the 3.5TT trucks, for the 5.0's the programming has been available for at least a month now.
Ah! I wasn’t aware if that. I don’t think I’m going to have it done anyway. Never had the issue.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Default Bad info second recall

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...mission-update

Mine has to go back a second time. Already been told by dealer, 2nd update not ready yet.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Ah! I wasn’t aware if that. I don’t think I’m going to have it done anyway. Never had the issue.
I got the alert on the Ford pass app about a week before the letter showed up for my truck. I live by the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I shall not reprogram it (I have the equipment) nor shall the dealer. Had no idea they released a fix for the 1st fix as mentioned but it doesn't surprise me with recalls. Back in the 90's they had an issue with dual tank trucks driving on one tank and the return fuel going into the other causing a fuel spill.

Did that recall twice on every single truck in my community at the time. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator both times and new check valves for old. To this day I have no idea if that 2nd fix stuck.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Yup! I feel the same way about NOT fixing the UNbroken. I’ve never had the downshift issue and I’m the only one who drives my truck so if it did happen, I’d deal with it in the moment. If my wife also drove it, I might consider having it done. I’m hearing too many stories about people having to make repeated trip to the dealer after having it done.

Quick Reply: 2013 Recall for Transmission Program