How to attach to bed / sides - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.

How to attach to bed / sides

Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Default How to attach to bed / sides

I have a 2017 F150 XLT FX4 Eco 3.5.

I'd like to build up a camping storage (drawers etc) system for my truck bed. Probably out of plywood (my hobby is woodworking), and maybe with some 80/20 for flexibility / experimentation.

I'm good on building my actual storage units, but am not sure about the best way to attach to the bed and bed sides. I'd like something that can readily be detached (so I can get down to the bare bed), reasonably rugged for rough roads / mild offroad, and will work with the tonneau cover closed, as well as flexible so I can change my mind about what goes where.

A) No drilling options

I think the only option for no drilling is turnbuckles or similar in the factory bed tiedowns plus machine screws into the threaded holes that the BoxLink cleats connect to?

B) Drilling options

I suppose here you would have to use rivnuts in the bed side, and in the actual bed you could use also use rivnuts or through bolts/nuts if you're willing to get under the truck (or some kind of captured nut)? I guess you could then put bolt some kind of track or extrusion to it for convenience/modifiability. Although I don't think of L-track or E-track as something you make semi-permanent attachments to, I suppose someone must have invented appropriate accessories for them.

Is there any issue with steel hardware reacting with the aluminum body? Do I need to use plastic washers or aluminum hardware or similar?

Anyway, any/all advice welcome. It's probably apparent I don't know what I'm talking about!
Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Bronco Guru

Look at the hardware Ford used on the Aluminum bed - it's steel bolts & screws. Paint will separate the steel from the Aluminum. If you want more separation, use UHMW tape.

IDK what you mean by 80/20. Is that foamboard? I'd use common corrugated cardboard for experimentation & patterns.

As to your design questions - that's the joy of custom-designing anything: you get to make all those choices & find out what works (or doesn't). If you come up with something good, either post the details, or market it.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM

I would think the weight of the setup would hold it down well enough and not need any fastening to the bed. Make it fit real tight inside the bed so it does not move around.
There are quite a few youtube videos about this which you have probably already looked at.
Tim
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
IDK what you mean by 80/20. Is that foamboard?
:
80/20 is a set of standardized extrusion, connections, accessories. ("The Industrial Erector Set"). https://8020.net/ It's not cheap, but it's a good way to build one-off designs in metal without having to do real fabrication.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 AM
Bronco Guru

That's a very interesting & useful system.
http://catalogs.8020.net/?bookcode=egt18flx
But their marketing is contradictory & hypocritical, and the catalog isn't very useful without pricing. The example at the front neglects design & BOM time (which could be substantial considering a 1,000-page catalog), and shipping. And it neglects to mention that common fabrication tools are FAR more useful & versatile for other uses than their tools (which seem overpriced). I can see some applications that it would be competitive & durable, but I don't think yours is one.

The pricing
on Amazon on Amazon
doesn't seem to agree with the example pricing on their website.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Senile member

just ran across a rack on another post here. Leitner designs rack system. check it out. seems like it'd fit what you're looking for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to attach to bed / sides

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: