Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XLT second thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XLT second thoughts

Hi all,
Been posting on this forum for the past couple of weeks so I will give you quick story.

Ended up ordering a XLT on a super awesome dealwhich was confirmed with fellow member toptobottome(its listed on the price paid for 18)

Here are the specs..truck is being built direct from factory
2018 4X4 SCREW, 302A, XLT power,chrome pacakge, tailgate step, spray in liner, mirror lights, elec locking 3.55 axle

So I keep on wondering if I should have went with the Lariat because of the 4A and dual climate. This is going to be my first true 4X4 and truck so I want make sure that what I am ordering will be fine for the New England weather.

I am going to put after market leather in so its not that but those other features if they are a necessity

The diff in price after all is said and done is going to be around the 5K mark which I feel is alot of extra $ considering the wife gave me the green light on this one.

I am just in my own head and cant get out of it thinking that may have made the wrong choice because of those 2 features but 5K is coniderable.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Ultra Member

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the 502A option is worth it, if you intend to take advantage of the all the features under that option. But you have to see for yourself if you think these options are worth your $5K.

Code:
The 302A Equipment Group includes all 300A content plus the following features:
• Dual Power Glass/Manual-Folding Heated Mirrors with Integrated Turn Signal and Black Skull Caps
• BoxLink™ Cargo Management System with Locking Cleats
• Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
• Power-Adjustable Pedals
• Rear Underseat Storage (not available with Regular Cab)
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• Class IV hitch receiver
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Trailer Hook Up Light
• Upgraded Front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded Radiator
• Power-Sliding Rear-window with Privacy Glass and Defrost (includes overhead console)
• Reverse Sensing System
• Remote Start System
• 10-way Power/Heated Driver and Passenger Seat
• SYNC® 3 Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System
• 911 Assist®
• AppLink®
• 8” LCD Touchscreen in centre stack 
• 4.2” Productivity screen in Instrument cluster
• (2) Smart Charging USB ports
• Compass and clock display
• SYNC® Connect
• 110V/400W Outlet
• LED Box Lighting
• Unique “XTR 4x2” or “XTR 4x4” decal (XTR 4x4 decal replaces FX4 decal if FX4 Offroad Package is selected)
• 6-inch Chrome Running Board
• Chrome Front Tow hooks (4x4 only) (2)
• Chrome Door and tailgate handles with body-colour bezel on side doors, black on tailgate
• Chrome single-tip exhaust
• Grille, Two-bar style, Chrome
• 18-inch Chrome-like PVD Wheels
• 265/60R18 BSW A/S – 4x2
• 275/65R18 OWL A/S A/T – 4x4
Code:
The 502A Equipment Group includes all 500A content plus the following features:
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailer Coverage
• Universal Garage Door Opener
• Dual Power Glass / PowerFolding Heated Mirrors with Signal, Memory, LED Security Approach Lamps, LED Side-mirror Spot Lights
• B&O PLAY® Premium Audio System
• Voice-Activated Navigation
• SYNC® Connect
• Heated Rear-Seats (SuperCrew® only)
• Heated Wiper Park
• Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column with Memory
• Heated Steering Wheel
• Quad Beam LED Headlights and LED Taillights
• LED fog lamps
• Automatic High Beam with Rain-Sensing Wipers
• 18-inch Chrome-like PVD Wheels
• 265/60R18 BSW A/S – 4x2
• 275/65R18 OWL A/S A/T – 4x4
• 6-inch Chrome Running Board
• Chrome Door Handles with Body-colour bezel
• Chrome Single-tip Exhaust
• Chrome Front Tow Hooks (2) (4x4)
• Chrome Skull Caps on Exterior Mirrors
• Grille: Two-bar style Bright Chrome

Last edited by HDET87; 02-15-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Fellow New Englander here. I grew up with a truck being 4x4. If you wanted 4x4 you select it otherwise it's in 2wd. You know how your trucks going to respond in each selection.

The truck does pretty good in 2wd, works fine with "spotty" snow cover. 4x4 for anything more.

Don't get suckered into the 4A is great in the rain bs. The trucks are flawless in the rain in 2wd.

Keep your 5k and enjoy the truck. You'll be damn happy
The following users liked this post:
Aj06bolt12r (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

What Kubota said
Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KubotaB
Fellow New Englander here. I grew up with a truck being 4x4. If you wanted 4x4 you select it otherwise it's in 2wd. You know how your trucks going to respond in each selection.

The truck does pretty good in 2wd, works fine with "spotty" snow cover. 4x4 for anything more.

Don't get suckered into the 4A is great in the rain bs. The trucks are flawless in the rain in 2wd.

Keep your 5k and enjoy the truck. You'll be damn happy
Haha. How did you know I was getting into the rain comments? That’s exactly The comments I read. If 5K was for a package like the 502A I can see it because a lot of the bells and whistles and I hderstsnd that stuff costs money. but I am talking about a 5K difference for the package below that. The 501A. I got a really sweet deal on a a truck that is being built for me. So I just am trying to justify my purchase to myself because I have tend to over analyze stuff sometimes.

Anyways. Thanks for advice
Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

The only thing that really had me wanting to step up from the XLT was the power folding mirrors and the memory seats.
My 13' had dual climate control and I can count on one hand the amount of times I actually used it; same goes for the cooled seats. I really could take or leave leather seats as even with the heat/cool feature they were still super cold in the winter and stupid hot in the summer for the first 10 minutes of the ride (which most of my rides are less than) and I love the new sport cloth seats in the special edition (which is what I ordered).

So basically that left me debating; is the extra money worth it for the folding mirrors and memory seats? I used the folding mirrors literally every time I parked my truck, even in my own driveway. BUT, 99% of the time, I'm the only one that drives the truck so the seats and mirrors are hardly ever moved. I decided that power folders just aren't worth the cost between the XLT and the Lariet.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

And I agree with the above about 4A. I don't think I've ever even thought about putting my 13' into 4x4 anything just because of rain. My truck was perfectly fine in the rain and light snow.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

It sounds like I have the same truck as you ordered except a 2016 with 5.0. I have the 302A XLT package and I'm extremely happy with it. Bought it to keep a long time and it also came with aftermarket leather seats and I have absolutely no desire for a lariat or platinum and I don't regret getting the XLT. Keep your $5K!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this helps, I leased a 15 King Ranch with everything, loved all the nice bells and whistles. I never used the 4A option. When I turned in my lease decided I loved the new F150s but could not justify the residual cost buy out. I purchased a used 15 XLT with like 12k miles on it. Decided I didn't need all that luxury. I absolutely love my current truck and don't regret the step down in trim at all. I also love that I saved 15K by going with the XLT vs buying out the lease. No regrets here. You will love the XLT, everything you will need in a 4x4 and not buying features you will probably not use.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have money to blow get the lariet! But I really think the XLT 302a is the sweet spot! You will be very happy with it.

Quick Reply: XLT second thoughts