Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate won't open when truck is running?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate won't open when truck is running?

My 2020 Lariat F-150 just had the recall repair for unintended tailgate opening completed. I cannot get the tailgate to open when the vehicle is running, either with the Key Fob or the Button on the tailgate. I also cannot get the auto start/stop feature to work, the message is Vehicle is On - Electric Charging? Should I be able to open the tailgate when the vehicle is running? I recall I could before the repair? And could the rewiring job have introduced a current leak that affects the Auto Start/Stop functionality?
The following users liked this post:
FX4GUY84 (04-06-2024)
Old 01-19-2023, 02:08 PM

Received 128 Likes on 90 Posts

Try using the unlock button on the door. I have a "key" xlt, and I have to hit the unlock button on the door at times when the engine is running.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:12 PM

Received 1,215 Likes on 759 Posts

My 2018 opens with it running no problems.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:29 PM

Received 633 Likes on 468 Posts

You probably already know this from before but: After getting out of the truck with it still running, did you first press unlock on the door lock switch?

Also, I am not sure if I am remembering correctly but I thought part of the recall is to require tapping the unlock button twice, quickly? (I suspect this is part of how they are preventing a single phantom button press from unlatching while driving). Or maybe I am completely imaging this.

The vehicle on - charging means the battery SoC is too low. Perhaps the dealer let it drain while it was there, or you need a new battery. Has that resolved itself after a few hours of driving?
I think a current leak from switch wiring is pretty unlikely. There are however some reprogramming steps so maybe some battery management details were reset? Not sure.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mbrick
You probably already know this from before but: After getting out of the truck with it still running, did you first press unlock on the door lock switch?

Also, I am not sure if I am remembering correctly but I thought part of the recall is to require tapping the unlock button twice, quickly? (I suspect this is part of how they are preventing a single phantom button press from unlatching while driving). Or maybe I am completely imaging this.

The vehicle on - charging means the battery SoC is too low. Perhaps the dealer let it drain while it was there, or you need a new battery. Has that resolved itself after a few hours of driving?
I think a current leak from switch wiring is pretty unlikely. There are however some reprogramming steps so maybe some battery management details were reset? Not sure.
I just had the recall done and it only requires a single button push.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by FordGate
I just had the recall done and it only requires a single button push.
Ok, thanks for confirming. Not sure where I read that, then.

OP should probably head back to the dealer.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:44 PM

Received 1,302 Likes on 853 Posts

My guess, all is ok, your battery is low, hence the 'charging' memo. Dealer probably had it on for a long time. Charge battery or go for a cruise on interstate.
The following users liked this post:
Taggart (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 05:01 PM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,229 Likes on 823 Posts

Good points, and correct. My dealership did the software update when I was in recently for something else, and now opening my tailgate requires 2 presses of the fob button within 3 seconds (my tailgate wiring was not modified). They even gave me an updated instruction to insert in my owner manual. Mine does open when the truck is running; I don't think I've run into a problem with the lock/unlock door switch but that's something obvious to try.

If all else fails, call the service manager of the dealership that performed the recall.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:33 PM

Ok, thanks for confirming. Not sure where I read that, then.

OP should probably head back to the dealer.
I may need to back-track a bit. I had my Tailgate done under the TSB like 2 years ago. It was still coming open though and I also had an issue where I needed to slam it to shut it. I just looked at my invoice and they replaced both tailgate latches for the slam issue but it does not say they performed the recall. I seem to remember them telling me they were short of parts. So I am not sure if the recall was updated from the TSB for which I am certain it still opened with a single button push to include a double push since I don't think they actually did that recall. I should know in a couple weeks because they also need to still do the freezing lock recall for which they ordered parts.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:11 PM

OP, try this if you had 21M06 performed: 2. Press the button in the top of the tailgate handle twice within three seconds.

Originally Posted by Taggart
Good points, and correct. My dealership did the software update when I was in recently for something else, and now opening my tailgate requires 2 presses of the fob button within 3 seconds (my tailgate wiring was not modified). They even gave me an updated instruction to insert in my owner manual. Mine does open when the truck is running; I don't think I've run into a problem with the lock/unlock door switch but that's something obvious to try.

If all else fails, call the service manager of the dealership that performed the recall.
Is a double press required both on the fob and when pushing the button on the tailgate?

Ok now that Taggart confirmed, I decided to see what I could find. I did read correctly about a double press reprogram from the new bulletin in Nov 2022:
"Inspect BCM, Install Tailgate Actuator Ground Wiring Kit, Replace Tailgate Handle Release Switch, Update BCM Software Using IDS Release 128.01 or Higher, Enable the Tailgate Switches Double Press, Select Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Relay Installed and Disable Tailgate Ajar Message (if equipped)"

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...26948-0001.pdf

If the double press is why OP can't open the tailgate, the dealer may have failed to provide this:* Customer Information Sheet and Owner’s Manual Addendum: At the completion of this repair, dealership service management is to provide a copy of both the “Customer Information Sheet” and the “Owner’s Manual Addendum” that are posted with this bulletin to the vehicle owner.

FordGate, there have been at least 3 Customer Satisfaction Programs for the tailgate unlatching so I understand how you may have been thinking about a prior repair.

Last edited by mbrick; 01-19-2023 at 06:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mbrick:
FordGate (01-20-2023), Taggart (01-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Tailgate won't open when truck is running?