Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync 3 and iPhone issue

Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Sync 3 and iPhone issue

Picked up my truck a week ago and love it so far. '17 2.7 SCREW. For navigation I've always used Waze and love it. I really like using Apple CarPlay, but Apple Maps stinks. The Sync 3 Navigation seems to be better than Apple Maps, and I can clunk through the interface to use my podcasts app, since that's all I listen to.

My issue is the navigation. When listening to an app with my phone as the selected music source and the navigation comes to a turn, it disconnects my phone and makes it very difficult to reconnect. This is even with turn notifications turned off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Has anyone been able to get any apps from their phones into app link? The only apps that show there for me are Pandora and Accuweather. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

following - i haven't been able to get applink to work on mine either (although i've only had mine for 5 days).

Is there a particular app on iOS needed to make applink work? Or do compatible apps simply show up?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by eddieruko
following - i haven't been able to get applink to work on mine either (although i've only had mine for 5 days).

Is there a particular app on iOS needed to make applink work? Or do compatible apps simply show up?
I wish I knew. I've only had mine for 7 days.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When you say it "makes it very difficult to reconnect", what exactly do you mean? What happens? Does CarPlay lock up? Can you unplug and replug your iPhone? Does it connect then?

What apps are you looking for in CarPlay? If you are seeing your Podcasts and Pandora, then it is working. Apps that are compatible will show up. Note that they may be on the second screen. You can reorganize them in the CarPlay settings on your iPhone.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by TeamPitt
When you say it "makes it very difficult to reconnect", what exactly do you mean? What happens? Does CarPlay lock up? Can you unplug and replug your iPhone? Does it connect then?

What apps are you looking for in CarPlay? If you are seeing your Podcasts and Pandora, then it is working. Apps that are compatible will show up. Note that they may be on the second screen. You can reorganize them in the CarPlay settings on your iPhone.
Thanks for the response. Here's more detail:

I'll be driving along listening to the phone and suddenly it stops playing. If I push play on my iPhone again the iPhone plays, but not to the vehicle. At the same time, the phone stops charging. It's like the USB just stops working. Eventually, My last audio source kicks in. I can still listen to my iPhone through bluetooth, but the USB won't connect to the phone.

Originally, I said this occurs when in Nav mode. Yesterday this also happened while CarPlay was activated. I've tried different USB cords. I've plugged and unplugged. I've switched cords immediately after it stops working. I've turned the phone on and off. None of that works. If I turn the truck off, open the door, then turn it back on it seems to reset, but I've only tried that once so I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence.

As to your second question, I don't have an issue with the apps in CarPlay, it's the apps in AppLink that don't appear. I only get Pandora, Accuweather, and occasionally the Ford App shows up.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I think you need to turn Carplay off for the apps to work in Applink? Yesterday I tried to use the Mobile apps in Sync 3 (using only bluetooth), but it tells me to plug the phone in to the USB port, when I do that it overrides Sync 3 and Mobile Apps and goes right in to Carplay and it also removes the App icon on the bottom of the Sync 3 window.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by BShadows
I think you need to turn Carplay off for the apps to work in Applink? Yesterday I tried to use the Mobile apps in Sync 3 (using only bluetooth), but it tells me to plug the phone in to the USB port, when I do that it overrides Sync 3 and Mobile Apps and goes right in to Carplay and it also removes the App icon on the bottom of the Sync 3 window.
You do have to turn CarPlay off for AppLink OR Navigation to work. I'm still only getting those 3 apps, though. Did you get more? Is there a list of which apps are compatible?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm guessing you've already went into your iPhone's sync settings and chosen "allow CarPlay when locked"?

As others have said, it's unfortunate but we cannot use truck apps and CarPlay at the same time.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by D2Abbott
I'm guessing you've already went into your iPhone's sync settings and chosen "allow CarPlay when locked"?

As others have said, it's unfortunate but we cannot use truck apps and CarPlay at the same time.
Yes, I've been using CarPlay in my Jeep since it first came out. It's an issue with Sync 3, likely, since the issue occurs with both CarPlay and without it.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 304 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by D2Abbott

where do you go to set "allow carplay when locked"?

I have a iPhone 6s plus and we just got a 2017 XLT sport with 302A package

I can connect Bluetooth fine receive texts, but aside from that I can not get the carplay fo work.

I have my orginal iPhone cable plugged in the truck and when I plug in the phone I get no prompts on sync. My iPhone does charge though.

Search this Thread