Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync 3 & AppLink

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Sync 3 & AppLink

Has anyone read up on Sync 3 and AppLink? Any insight as to when this will be available, and if it will be something current Sync users will be able to easily update?

Articles here:
Sync 3 - https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...o-connect.html

AppLink -
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...n-apps-to.html
Old 01-19-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sync3 is a hardware difference and there likely will be no option to "upgrade". Perhaps you'd be able to buy a new headunit and swap them out, but that is even questionable if it would work out of the box.
Sync3 is supposed to be available later this year, but Ford also mentioned they're not in a hurry to roll it out without making sure its 100%. There's a few other threads on the topic in this board.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm skeptical as well but it would be nice to get some of the software upgrades like the voice recognition enhancement and the UI updates.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Patent Pending

Received 229 Likes on 94 Posts

There is already a huge thread on the subject if you're looking for info: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/ford-sync-3-a-282010/
The following users liked this post:
SURF150 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

I have to say I'm not a techy guy at all and my 07 doesn't have sync so even the sync 2 is an upgrade,but I understand why people are a little upset about the sync 3 upgrade. But Ive been waiting since the introduction of the Atlas to buy a new truck so I don't think I have the patience to wait another year- year and half for an upgraded sync system just sayin
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Truthfully, I'm not upset at all about not being able to upgrade. It was more of a curiosity as I happened to catch a couple of URL's while browsing around while registering at the Ford site. For me, in the grand scheme of things regarding buying and driving such an amazing truck everyday, not being able to do a firmware or hardware exchange with the Sync system is not a big deal.

I live & work in the tech industry and have been a "techie" to a fair degree my whole life; things continually change and that's just how it goes. I learned long ago that holding out for the next great thing or version is not the most enjoyable nor productive path in life. One can always find reasons to hold out or not buy. If it just so happens to overlap with a natural cycle for replacing/updating things, that's cool, and that happens occasionally. But if one can wait, then one probably really doesn't need it anyhow. I'd speculate that in actuality, most (not all) things regarding tech gadgets are wants more than needs. It's comical to read how people get all worked up about something being "outdated" or "old technology" when what exists is actually sufficient and has plenty of life left in it. To me, those are more of emotional responses and reactions versus sound logical conclusions ( – just my opinion in reading all the responses in the other thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/ford-sync-3-a-282010/ ). In fact, I feel that most people will likely never use more than 70% of what exists on any given new technology device anyhow. I don't have numbers to back this; it's simply personal observation mixed with speculation.

That said, would I appreciate a way to update/upgrade my Sync when it's available? Sure. Would I suggest to hold and and not buy a killer truck because you might "feel" outdated when the newer truck gets it? No. It's no biggie fries.
The following users liked this post:
Meares (01-28-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Yea in that link I think it was page 8 there was another link in which the Ford spokesman said it wouldn't be able to be updated so yea that will suck but it would be nice of ford to at least offer the upgraded head unit at a discounted price if that's all it would take, at least for the owners of the first gen 15 style. oh well lol.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SURF150
I live & work in the tech industry and have been a "techie" to a fair degree my whole life; things continually change and that's just how it goes. I learned long ago that holding out for the next great thing or version is not the most enjoyable nor productive path in life. One can always find reasons to hold out or not buy. If it just so happens to overlap with a natural cycle for replacing/updating things, that's cool,
Good point, I've waited a long time to get things that most techies would have spent their lunch money on years before. Smart watches for instance, the next generation is going to be better and cheaper than the current one. Definitely true for tablets, I paid less than $250 for mine and love it for what it does, glad I never dropped $900 on an iPad.

Luckily, I'm not ready to buy a truck till August at the earliest, so if it's in the '16's, I'll go that route, if not, grab a '15 and be happy with the incentives!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sigpilocal
Good point, I've waited a long time to get things that most techies would have spent their lunch money on years before. Smart watches for instance, the next generation is going to be better and cheaper than the current one. Definitely true for tablets, I paid less than $250 for mine and love it for what it does, glad I never dropped $900 on an iPad.

Luckily, I'm not ready to buy a truck till August at the earliest, so if it's in the '16's, I'll go that route, if not, grab a '15 and be happy with the incentives!
I wouldn't trade my new platinum for anything nor would I wait a year for Sync3. But I am a tech lover and think it's bs they wouldn't at least offer a software update to have the new interface.

I understand new hardware would be required for enhanced voice recognition, better wifi, etc....but all it would take is a software issue to meet the 15 owners halfway. Sadly I don't think we'll get that.

Quick Reply: Sync 3 & AppLink