Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke billowing out from under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoke billowing out from under the hood

Beautiful weather here this morning. Truck parked in the garage. Spent some time packing it up with all our stuff for the day. Alright... lets do this.

Fire it up, back it out of the garage, hear some loud sound an notice a ton of smoke billowing out from the engine compartment.

May not be a car expert, but seems like a bad idea to drive a car with smoke pouring out. Shut it off and call up road side assistance to get it towed to the dealership.

Tow truck shows up, we fire it up one more time and a belt breaks off. No more smoke. Determine it's the A/C belt. No need to have it towed, but no A/C. Good thing its 90 degrees here today. Hey...at least I've got my seat "coolers" goin for me...

Nothing but problems with my truck.... just one problem after the other. Every time I see the damn thing I just want to puke. Time for my 26th trip to the dealership since I picked it up in March.

Last edited by effJuanSchfifty; 07-11-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:16 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

That sucks
Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 1,268 Likes on 844 Posts

What engine?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Livoniabob
What engine?
3.5L eco
Old 07-12-2015, 01:46 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Damn, 26 trips to the dealer and they never offered to buy your lemon back?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If 26 is not an exaggeration, then this is on you.

Demand a new truck. Lemon that thing.

My 3.5boost Platinum has been nothing shy of perfect since I got a few months ago. Sorry yours has been so bad.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I would like to see the list of problems you are having. If I had any problem that I had to take in four times to get the same problem fixed I would be sitting down with the general manager to discuss in a civil manner what can be done for me because of all the down time.

I really do hope you can walk out and look at your truck some day and smile because it is the truck you were hoping for. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd lemon law it
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Depending on your State Lemon Laws you can't just walk in and get a new truck because you think it is a lemon

Protections Under the Utah Lemon Law

The New Motor Vehicle Warranties Act applies to new cars and motor homes under warranty in Utah. Used vehicles are not protected under the Utah lemon law.
Under the law, the buyer is entitled to a refund or replacement if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
  • The vehicle must have been bought in Utah.

• It must be new and under warranty.
  • It must weigh under 12,000 lbs.
  • The manufacturer must have tried to resolve the defect at least 4 times OR the buyer must have been unable to use the vehicle a total of 30 days, whichever comes first, during the first 12 months of the warranty.
  • The defect must not be caused by owner neglect, abuse, or unauthorized vehicle modifications.
I used this law when I had a GMC van that had brake problems. It was fixed 3 times and the fourth time my brakes went out on a trip General Motors called me after I called my dealer and I was told to go pick out a new van from my dealer. Now if it was a door the squeaked and I had it worked on four times I would not be getting a new van.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 AM

I've had the vast majority of problems that have come up on this forum.

In the first week of ownership I noticed:

-Moonroof (twin panel) rattled an insane amount. That alone was enough to drive me insane. I took it in immediately and was sent on my way as quick as they could saying everything was normal. It took them a few more trips and about 10 weeks of my enduring it for them to finally fix it.

-Loud static coming from my speaker (upgraded Sony system). They replaced the speaker, even though i largely suspected the speaker to not be the issue. The new speaker did not fix the problem, and they damaged my door trim while doing the repair. Add on another two trips for the trim fix because they ordered the wrong replacement trim. All in, speaker still puts out loud static.

-Loose drivers side mirror. Trip to get it checked out. Trip to get it replaced. 3 more trips on top of that to show that the replacement is worse. Can't see out the thing when driving in any wind or over any bumps.

-Loud screeching sound from engine. Was told this was normal by service advisor, but service write up said "unable to reproduce concern". Engine still screeches when turning off.

-About 2 weeks ago a grinding sound was noticed in the cabin. Got out and heard it coming from the engine compartment. My guess was something belt driven was going. Drove it down to have it looked at in case it was something that could leave me stranded on the side of the road. Was told yeah seems like the A/C but come on back tomorrow so we can find out which parts we need to order. Brought it back, waited 3 hours, they sent me on my way. Yesterday the A/C finally went, causing the smoke from my engine compartment. Wasted a good chunk of my afternoon waiting for roadside assistance and tow driver to show.

I average about 4 trips per problem to usually have nothing resolved.

I'll have to ask the service dept. for an accurate count of how many time i've been in there. It's far too many.

**Pending trips I have.

-My A/C is now broken. I'll assume that will be a full day.
-My rear armrest needs to get fixed so it will fit stowed away properly. I'll assume that will be another full day.
-The static from my speaker, I personally don't think they'll ever fix that.
-At some point that mirror is going to have to get fixed when they acknowledge a fix for it.
-Whatever is screeching is going to fail sooner or later and be another few trips to get fixed.

Last edited by effJuanSchfifty; 07-12-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Smoke billowing out from under the hood