Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rustproofing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rustproofing

I am in Canada. Although the body of my f150 is aluminum the frame is steel. It will rust. I am planning a DIY rust proofing the frame. Will this void the warranty in any way ?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

It shouldn't. I live in Canada as well, and dealers are offering frame rust protection on the new F 150's as a dealer applied option.I'm still with my 2012 and I've always dripless oiled mine twice a year, and my dealer had never mentioned anything, other than the mechanics hated to work on it.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my 15, f150 on Wednesday. When I talked to the finance manager she said she wasn't going to even mention the rust proofing since the truck is aluminum. I'm still going to get it done at a local shop though.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Meecha96
I just picked up my 15, f150 on Wednesday. When I talked to the finance manager she said she wasn't going to even mention the rust proofing since the truck is aluminum. I'm still going to get it done at a local shop though.
That finance manager shouldn't even be working at a car dealership with logic like that.
You don't want to get this protection from the dealer anyway. They usually get about 3 prices for this service.
Go to the local shop and get a better price and a better job done.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a 2006 f150 and live in central NY. We have alot of snow and and salt on roads. started using Fluid Film when the truck was about a yr old. I just traded it for a new 15 f150 . the 2006 had 90000 miles on it and the frame and body panels were still in excellent shape. So I am spraying my new trucks frame , brakelines and steel underbody parts with it. It takes about 2 t o 3 cans. I buy it at napa auto parts $12.00 a can. Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Look into the Krown Rustproofing in your area. I use the CarWell product here in the states. Same type of system.

https://www.krown.com/contact-us/

https://www.krown.com/

Last edited by WrestlingCoach; 02-06-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Any oil product will work to inhibit corrosion, but some are much better than others. They all need recoating annually in some exposed areas that get high pressure spray like your frame or under fenders. I have used a few different things over the years. One that didn't work was Ziebart on my 67 VW bug. It hardened and rusted under the tar like coating. Don't use any undercoating that dries hard as it just holds the rust underneath it, unseen. Aluminum may not rust but it will corrode. Not all of your truck is aluminum.

Cheap and easy to find is white lithium grease in a spray can.

I like Maxima Chain wax (Amazon) as it goes on very thin and dries like the cosmoline your brake rotors come coated with. It works especially well in door panels/jambs, rockers, inner tailgate, fender cracks and spot weld areas where metal meets metal. It seeps into the cracks and crevasis without plugging the weep holes.

Fluid Film is a quality product that was formerly Texaco Undercoat.

Here is a link with more products listed than you can shake a stick at.

We don't know yet where these vehicles will corrode but just look at a 12 year old truck to see common problem areas that you might address. I just sold my 13 yr old vehicle with 180,000 mi that had zero body rust. I only coated it when new so the frame and suspension parts had visible rust showing. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
nerdydan (02-11-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k.b.
Any oil product will work to inhibit corrosion, but some are much better than others. They all need recoating annually in some exposed areas that get high pressure spray like your frame or under fenders. I have used a few different things over the years. One that didn't work was Ziebart on my 67 VW bug. It hardened and rusted under the tar like coating. Don't use any undercoating that dries hard as it just holds the rust underneath it, unseen. Aluminum may not rust but it will corrode. Not all of your truck is aluminum.

Cheap and easy to find is white lithium grease in a spray can.

I like Maxima Chain wax (Amazon) as it goes on very thin and dries like the cosmoline your brake rotors come coated with. It works especially well in door panels/jambs, rockers, inner tailgate, fender cracks and spot weld areas where metal meets metal. It seeps into the cracks and crevasis without plugging the weep holes.

Fluid Film is a quality product that was formerly Texaco Undercoat.

Here is a link with more products listed than you can shake a stick at.

We don't know yet where these vehicles will corrode but just look at a 12 year old truck to see common problem areas that you might address. I just sold my 13 yr old vehicle with 180,000 mi that had zero body rust. I only coated it when new so the frame and suspension parts had visible rust showing. YMMV
Thanks for all the information. There is rust cure as well for DIY. Apparently one of the better products. There is a report on this. I would be interested in the possible problem areas That are steel. Also not clear if the engine area is aluminum or not. If someone knows..

Last edited by Lubeking; 02-06-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikdor1
Had a 2006 f150 and live in central NY. We have alot of snow and and salt on roads. started using Fluid Film when the truck was about a yr old. I just traded it for a new 15 f150 . the 2006 had 90000 miles on it and the frame and body panels were still in excellent shape. So I am spraying my new trucks frame , brakelines and steel underbody parts with it. It takes about 2 t o 3 cans. I buy it at napa auto parts $12.00 a can. Hope this helps
This is exactly what I did with my truck anything steel got Fluid Film. Great stuff, I plan on giving it a coat every year just before winter.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hurld
This is exactly what I did with my truck anything steel got Fluid Film. Great stuff, I plan on giving it a coat every year just before winter.
I did the fluid film also. Did it the day I picked up truck ( end of November. ) I live in Canada and am happy the way it has held up. Will know for sure in the spring. Plan on doing it every year. Bought it on eBay. Got 2 One gallon paint cans full with pump and 2 bottles with nozzle to attach to hose from compressor. I used a whole gallon first time. Probably get away with half gallon or so next time.
The following users liked this post:
sunofabeach (02-07-2016)

Quick Reply: Rustproofing