Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Surge during shifting when transmission is cold - 2018 10-Speed F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question RPM Surge during shifting when transmission is cold - 2018 10-Speed F150

Hi! I'm having this issue and my dealer is slow to diagnose... I need to wait 2 months just to try a transmission re-learn (no availability before that), and I doubt this will fix the issue.
Any idea what can cause this:
  • RPM surge during up-shift. During hard, or even during almost no acceleration.
  • Shift takes much longer than usual (between gears).
  • Harsh when next gear finally engage (due to higher RPM).
  • When transmission is cold only. Issue suddenly completely goes away when the transmission reaches its normal temperature (approx half gauge).
  • 2018 10-Speed F150.
  • As shown in this video:

Any input appreciated, thanks!
antoine
Old 09-26-2023, 05:51 PM

Received 238 Likes on 170 Posts

Exactally what my 18 would do only between 1st n 3rd.... i hope you have warranty. I needed a new cdf drum.... tsb 22-2428 fixed mine. I wrote my whole story in that thread if you search it. I wish you good luck

Last edited by 4leggedbucket; 09-26-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Grammer is hard lol
Old 09-26-2023, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4leggedbucket
Exactally what my 18 would do only between 1st n 3rd.... i hope you have warranty. I needed a new cdf drum.... tsb 22-2428 fixed mine. I wrote my whole story in that thread if you search it. I wish you good luck
So I just found out my warranty expires in 2000km / 1 month. Gotta act FAST!

For your info, there is a new TSB (23-2250) that supersedes the one you mentionned: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/tsb-2...-10r80-546473/

Cheers
Old 09-26-2023, 10:09 PM

Received 238 Likes on 170 Posts

Yes, I belive it just streamlines the process, I'm glad I got the rebuild as to ensure I have the revised cdf drum (JL3Z7H351B hub asy) a rebuilt valve body and the latest flash. I think alot of the fix is completely dependent on your dealership having a competent transmission guy. No clunky thumpy banging or free reving even tho I try to replicate my symptoms every cold soak. Its hard to say when the new parts were implemented in production and if a new trans would just suffer the same fate due to having the old internals or have the new parts. Either way I just hope this is a good fix. All seems well but it took 5 years to fail on my very early build 10r80. The sad part is my truck has never really done any real truck stuff, only towed once and only ever hauled *****. The only code thrown was a incorrect 3rd gear ratio but i never got any lights or warnings even tho it was clearly toast, I think ford is likely going to have a bunch of these failures. I just hope the owners know what to look for before warranty runs out, I think it should be a recall due to the design flaw ( even the superduties suffer from this ) but its a costly fix.. I just hope ppl catch it in time so ford foots the bill and not them. Likely i would have discovered this much earlier had i have know what to look for, I guess I shouldn't have bought a early build of a new engine trans combo but I think when/if the kinks are worked out i think it has the potential to be a stout drive line.

Sorry for another long winded post guys!, but if I can help just 1 person discover this before thier out of warranty it was totally worth my time. Take lots of vids, the more you can show them the faster you will get results 😉
Old 11-20-2023, 08:45 PM

Update:
Dealer changed the valve body and reset the PCM. Didn't solve the issue at all. Same symptoms as described in first post.

I just dropped the truck back, they need to disassemble the entire transmission and have a look at it. Then Ford decides if they fix it or if they replace it with a refurbished one. Then send the parts for fix (or entire tranny).
They said this process would take months. M-O-N-T-H-S. I'm so bummed, looks like I'll loose my truck for then entire snowmobile season (which is exactly why I bought a truck).

Worst thing is, I'm not confident they'll manage to fix it. And then I'll be out of warranty (it just expired a few days ago)...

Old 11-21-2023, 06:31 AM

Received 317 Likes on 196 Posts

Just picked my 18 up from ford, same exact problem as you .The trans man tore down the control mod and then tested it to no avail so the trans came out a few new parts and a new cdf assy. Shifts good now ,I had 10 days left on my 5 yrs warranty and 49k on truck ,my cdf assy. Was the newest part #
Old 11-21-2023, 08:22 AM

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes same exact symptoms in my 2018. Funny thing is now the trans is shifting perfectly again besides a hesitation into 4th gear and 10th gear.

The 1-2 shift was the worst when cold and its like the problem never happened lol.

I plan on taking the truck into Ford after the holidays.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:58 AM

Follow Up:

Got the truck back after spending 1-1/2 month at the dealer.
Tranny was disassembled, inspected, then Ford decided to rebuild it (I forgot exactly which parts were attributed to be the root cause).

I've been driving it for about two months now. During the first 2-3 week, the RPM would still surge between shift, but ONLY ONCE when the transmission was still cold (1st drive of the day).
Now it's gone and everything feels pretty normal. But it's Spring now and weather is milder, maybe that's why.

So I'll keep driving it and, fingers crossed, the problem is gone... I'm out of warranty now, so it's better be gone!
Will report back as needed!

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (04-05-2024)

Quick Reply: RPM Surge during shifting when transmission is cold - 2018 10-Speed F150