Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8" Cluster Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 AM

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Question 8" Cluster Swap Questions

I have a 19 XLT with the 4" cluster. I read up on doing the cluster swap but apparently not enough, lol. In my haste I bought a 2018 Lariat 8" cluster on eBay for $300 but it has more miles than my current odometer reading. 125k vs 92k on mine. Now, I've learned that Forscan can only increase mileage not reduce it. I'm not trying to do anything nefarious and misrepresent my true 92k on my current cluster so my question is this.

Can I increase the mileage on the new cluster with my Forscan to 999,999mi, drive it and have it roll over and then correct it again to the 92,xxxk?
There's online services that will correct the mileage and have an affidavit but can/will they reduce the mileage to my correct reading?
Should I sell this cluster and find one with slightly less miles than mine?

I know there's a member here that sells these clusters for what I would be into this one by having it programmed. That's what I get for trying to save $200 and rushing into this, lol.

On another note, what do our trucks broadcast OTA to Ford? I have the Fordpass app and I'm enrolled. I just don't want this swap to look suspicious down the road if I ever decide to sell it and something pops on their server. I've made some changes with Forscan like disabling the doo-do-doo key chime, lane change turn signal blinks etc and the dealership has never said anything regarding me being in there and making changes to the as built.

Appreciate any advice anyone can shed on this.

Old 04-05-2024, 08:15 AM

Received 272 Likes on 114 Posts

Clusters by Livnitup can fix you up.

https://www.clustersbylivnitup.com/

Dave is a great guy and will help you.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:19 AM

Yup...but the conundrum is still, can I work through this one myself by tricking it and rolling it over or sell it and buy one from him? Either way...i'm into the same amount of money. If I can save the $200, I'd like to put that towards another upgrade
Old 04-05-2024, 08:24 AM

Received 272 Likes on 114 Posts

Dave can reprogram yours, you cannot do it yourself.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:29 AM

You can certainly reprogram them yourself with Forscan as far as changing the as built and enabling/disabling features like the trailer brake and blind spot monitoring on the donor cluster. It's just the mileage part that is my dilemma. I'm not being argumentative by the way...I'm well versed in programming with software like Forscan and VagCom on my Audi. Been doing it for years. My only mistake was not realizing I should've bought a cluster with less miles than I currently have
Old 04-05-2024, 09:34 AM

Received 167 Likes on 92 Posts

as far as what is sent OTA to ford. I can tell you that my service advisor friend can pull up the full live telemetry on my truck on his phone while in my driveway.
he can see fuel trims, timing, about everything you could imagine and all without having to plug anything into the OBD2 port. just live from his phone.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:46 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 860 Posts

You can try it, worse case have it corrected. I would not get overly concerned about Ford Pass, It's not like it's under any type of warranty still. Now if it is, like under an extended warranty, I'd reconsider.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SpencerPJ
You can try it, worse case have it corrected. I would not get overly concerned about Ford Pass, It's not like it's under any type of warranty still. Now if it is, like under an extended warranty, I'd reconsider.
I have a little over 2 months left on their Blue Certified warranty. After that, I plan on really letting loose with the mods like this cluster, a tune etc. Just getting my ducks in a row per se. I grabbed this one because it was pretty much half of what most want on eBay for an 8" Lariat and they don't come up too often for a decent price. In hindsight, I should've just ordered one from Livnitup...but i'm already part way down the rabbit hole.

As far as the other members comment, I think it communicates with Ford through the onboard modem right now. I'm sure that could be disabled via a fuse....in any case, i'll wait the couple of months until the warranty is up and not worry about it after that.
The following users liked this post:
SpencerPJ (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:39 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 322 Likes on 190 Posts

Others have tried the 999,999 mile increase and reported it doesn't go back to zero. If you attempt this anyways then make sure you unplug your TCU behind the rear seat so that no communication goes back to Fordpass. I would keep it unplugged for a few days to make sure the PCM syncs back to the legit mileage after the experiment and your original cluster is installed again.
4XFarce (04-05-2024), SpencerPJ (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:52 AM

Looks like I'm probably just going to sell this one and buy one of yours. I'm going to PM you
The following users liked this post:
SpencerPJ (04-05-2024)

Quick Reply: 8" Cluster Swap Questions