Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement windshield issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Replacement windshield issues

So back in January I had my windshield replaced.
A few weeks later I noticed my passenger side floor was soaked.
I called and set up an appointment to have it straightened out.
Last weekend I had the replacement windshield replaced and complained about the wet floor and they put me in touch with a body shop they work with.
Yesterday I went to see the manager at the body shop.
Seems like worst case is about 3 weeks in the shop and a complete strip to the interior and replace the carpet & membrane underneath including everything on the firewall.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:33 PM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

you have a question about this ?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I just putting it out there and seeing if anyone else has gone thru through the same thing.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Good to know I am planning on replacing my windshield for the first time this year. Do you have any specifics one what they did to cause the issue. Anything we should check after replacement that might help identity any problems before they get worst. My old truck I had the windshield replace probably 4 times had the truck 15 yrs. I noticed over time the top border started to rust out. Apparently some of the guys who replaced the windshield did not seal it properly causing to be more exposed. I have had a crack going across the bottom part of the windshield for a year and half now and a little scared to have it replaced.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Mark

safelite...
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Safelite is about the only major windshield replacement company out here. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the best quality my last truck that was where I had it replaced. Also we tried the mobile service for replacing my wife's Rav4 windshield. After about a week it started to rattle around. I am not saying there is much better alternatives but I would certainly not recommend the mobile services.
The following users liked this post:
rbird2 (03-25-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Mark

Originally Posted by ray318
Safelite is about the only major windshield replacement company out here. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the best quality my last truck that was where I had it replaced. Also we tried the mobile service for replacing my wife's Rav4 windshield. After about a week it started to rattle around. I am not saying there is much better alternatives but I would certainly not recommend the mobile services.
They did an awesome job on my truck.. factory glass with the F150 logo and all. Mobile service in my driveway. never had a problem. I did watch the entire process but, the dude knew what he was doing ... Very professional.
The following 2 users liked this post by techrep:
kendive (02-25-2019), ray318 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:04 AM

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts

I've had good luck with Safelite. They replaced several windshields on my previous E08 Edge, which apparently was a rock magnet. We had a Taurus before that, where the replaced it and it leaked. They came out immediately and replaced it again, and no other issues the whole time we owned the car.

Last edited by xrlizard; 03-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've seen Safelite is the worst. I do trim/electrical here at the dealer I work at, and deal with a lot of this kind of stuff. Over the years I've seen so many leaking windshields from them unfortunately. I personally would do whatever to avoid them if you can. It's all in the prep work for the new urethane to adhere, and it seems they do a poor job at that. More times than not, they always leak in the lower left/right corners.

Other things to look out for when using an after market windshield I've seen a lot, is if your truck has the front camera mounted to the windshield. A lot of times the bracket studs that are formed into the windshield, are incorrect and cause camera mounting issues and camera operation issues.

Last edited by Comp04svt; 02-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Received 166 Likes on 91 Posts

do you have the pano roof? I had the sat antenna fix done and the dealer knocked the drain tube loose. I did not know until Hurricane harvey and I had a waterfall coming out of my a pillar on the passenger side.
I later had the windshield replaced and havent had any issues at all. I did not use safelite either. used a local shop and he used some form of UV setting urethane. It took him about 3 hours to replace the windshield.
No stupid tape on the top holding it either. you cannot tell its not the original windshield. perfectly centered.

Quick Reply: Replacement windshield issues