Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proximity key and No Start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Proximity key and No Start!

Owner of a 16 platinum with 2900 miles. 1+ month of ownership and the first major complaint I have is this...

Got into the truck and step on the brake, press the start button and the radio, instrument cluster, etc all react like the truck is started. No dice.... I press the button again.... It all goes off. Like I shut the truck off. Try again. Truck "thinks" the engine is started, but it isn't.... I repeat this process about 10-15 times (making sure the green light on the start button is illuminated, showing me that it sees the key and my foot on the brake) and hit the lock, unlock buttons on the fob, open and close the door, etc over and over. My wonderful platinum is a high dollar doorstop at this point. I think.... I didn't leave the lights on... The fob works when I press the buttons, all lights come on.... WHAT CAN BE WRONG?!?!!!????

Has anyone has a similar problem with their proximity key? The only indication I had was the ford phone remote start app didn't work when I tried it....

I got to the point of calling for a tow. After it was set up I tried it for the final and about 25-30th time.

It started right up. I have made one payment on this truck. If it continues I am gonna be super angry... What if it was 10 below?!!? ( I am in MN)

Not sure what to do. I know the techs at the dealership will be zero help because it will start now (can't reproduce)... I'm worried I have a lemon.....
Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Perhaps a reboot is necessary? Disconnect your battery for several minutes, then reconnect.

Too much technology rushed into production!

PS: I think I read the key has to be near the switch, and your left pants pocket may be out of range? Try a search in this s forum, as others had similar problems issues.

Good luck.

Last edited by AbitaPro; 03-24-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this issue a few times, but nothing to the extent you encountered. Not really sure if key location is the issue or not. I tend to keep it in my right pocket or by the cup holders. ..I wish the fob was slimmer!
Do you know about the docking spot incase the battery is dead in the fob?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:51 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,467 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by JAngel1596
I've had this issue a few times, but nothing to the extent you encountered. Not really sure if key location is the issue or not. I tend to keep it in my right pocket or by the cup holders. ..I wish the fob was slimmer!
Do you know about the docking spot incase the battery is dead in the fob?
That would have been the first place I would have headed after 2 or 3 no-starts. I suspect the OP hasn't read the owner's manual yet and doesn't know about this feature.

I've had this happen on other cars I own or have owned in the past with keyless start. Most of the time I have found putting the keyfob closer to the ignition button takes care of the issue. There has been one time that there must have been electronic interference and I had to use the key dock.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 AM
Old Fart

Received 298 Likes on 223 Posts

A couple possibilities that I can think of:

Neutral safety switch is bad.

Brake switch is bad.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
That would have been the first place I would have headed after 2 or 3 no-starts. I suspect the OP hasn't read the owner's manual yet and doesn't know about this feature.

I've had this happen on other cars I own or have owned in the past with keyless start. Most of the time I have found putting the keyfob closer to the ignition button takes care of the issue. There has been one time that there must have been electronic interference and I had to use the key dock.
I know it's brand new, but as someone that has two cars that use prox keys, I know the battery in the fob comes into play sometimes. The older the battery the closer the need for the fob to be nearer to the dock. And by older battery I mean like 12 months of usage or more. The batteries last quite a while.

I have a Flex and an Altima both have been pretty flawless regarding usage of the fob. In fact sometime I like to leave the keys for the flex in the car (unlock it by the keypad) and usually it sees the fob most places I try to hid it. This prevents the doors from locking if you try to lock it and close the door with the fob (and it's seen by the car) inside.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:36 AM
2015 F-150 King Ranch 4x4

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Key fob battery?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

When ever there's a battery operated device that's suspect...change the battery. I don't know how difficult it is to do in the new fobs,check the manual.
If you take it to the dealer and ask nice,get them to change the battery.
I would just go ahead and do it myself to keep my blood pressure down :-)
I had the same symptoms with my 2010 Tundra. I changed the battery and the fault never returned.

Jack
Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I have read the manual, and I have known about the docking spot in the center console since the 15s came out. My previous 11 Taurus SHO had a prox key and I knew where that one was as well and had to use it 1 time in 2.5 years of ownership.

The key fob was originally right over that spot. I always have the key either in the cupholder or the in the cubby above the docking spot. It can't get any closer to the docking spot usually.

I only pulled it out of there to hit the lock and unlock buttons on the fob to make sure it wasn't dead.

I will most likely change the remote batteries in case there was something pushing a button for a few hours causing it to die.

Super frustrating. Thanks for the replies. Ill update If/when it happens again.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,391 Posts

FWIW, I have a Fob in the "dock." I haven't been carrying a key, just using the touch pad to lock, unlock the truck.

Yesterday I started the truck and a moment later the "No Key Detected" warning came up on the screen. I basically ignored it and continued on. It proved to be a non issue. Obviously I have no idea why it came on as it certainly shouldn't have.

Carry on.....

Quick Reply: Proximity key and No Start!