Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possessed 2015 Platinum F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Flying Low

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possessed 2015 Platinum F150

I have had my Platinum F150 for nearly two years as this story unfolds. Approximately 35,800 miles on my Space Shuttle and never as much as a hiccup! I would rather drive in the 1
st Class comfort than take a plane. In fact, I had a 2,000 mile round trip to Vermont on the calendar prior to the following events. I have towed our camper numerous times and even my son’s larger camper. Used the factory installed 7 pin connector with never an issue. Also hauled a 27-foot boat trailer using an adapter in the 7 pin connector without an issue.

So, at about 35,800 miles I used the factory installed 4 pin connector for the first time. I plugged our flatbed trailer in to go on a 360-mile round trip to pick up a UTV. This trailer has previously always been towed with the 2009 Expedition I owned (that my son has now). Trip went fine and the following day I drove 30 more miles to my son’s place and back with the trailer still attached.
The following morning, I disconnected the trailer to go shopping. After unplugging I got a “Trailer Disconnected” warning message. I cleared the message and went shopping. Returning to truck after shopping I found the Auto Deploying running board out. Thought I didn't close a door completely... not the case. I then check passenger side and it wouldn't deploy when door opened. Then I found all the following:
Airbag(s) warning light on dash was lit; Climate Control System, both Heat and Cooling, was out of service; Front Windows would not respond to controls; Seat Comfort functions (support & massage, cooling & warming) did not work; Mirror adjustment and retraction inoperable; Back-up System and warnings inoperable (camera did work); Cross Traffic System fault; Blind Spot Warning error.
Went in to dealership. The wiring harness under the passenger seat, which hadn’t moved in over 400 miles, was replaced (batterydisconnected too) after tech found that when moving harness caused systems to become functional again. I ended up paying for this fix since Truck was now “out of warranty” by 271 miles and harnesses are not covered by extended coverage(Not Happy). Found out that there is a TSB on that issue so I believe that should have been covered fully. I am not done dealing with that issue. FordCase #CAS-12358555-K4D6P8 declined to go beyond the $400 program money credit against the $1,600 service invoice.
After a couple weeks in the shop I took truck home. Now it is time to move the UTV to trailer park and get some work done there. That evening plugged 4 pin connector to trailer in again. Drove truck 15 miles and stopped to pick up my work party, grandson & his friend. When restarting truck, I got “Trailer Disconnect” message again and then this:
Warning messages began to flash on the driver’s display screen saying, “your vehicle is not in park”, “check manual”, “Downhill Assist not operational”. Then the lights went out, the truck lost power (the engine was still running), it shifted into Downhill Assist, front windows didn’t work, passenger seat moved by itself, driver’s seat began to go back as if the truck was turned off, then it returned to driving position, the Sync display went dead and came back on, the Driver’s display shut down and came back on. All these things continued to repeat as bells sounded and I limped back to my son’s house.
I disconnected the trailer from the 150 and put it on my former 2009 Expedition with 152,000 miles. My son brought the 150 back to Kune’s service center Saturday while I was “Up North” working with my crew. He continued to experience the same set of issues on the way, pulling off the road several times when the truck “lost power” before going into convulsions repeatedly. Dealership worked with me and got me a vehicle for a trip I had scheduled to Vermont. The devils had gone into hiding and the service team drove the 150 days before the convulsions started again. Another wiring harness in the dash was replaced. This time at no cost to me.
A week after returning from my trip I picked up my Space Shuttle, cautiously driving farther from base. At about 800 miles later (never having a trailer connected again) I got the “Trailer Disconnect” message and then the following day the devils took possession of my truck again. All the first set of problems, resolved by the under-seat wiring harness replacement, happened again. Truck is currently in the shop.
Common thread is that every time Platinum Possession takes place the “Trailer Disconnect” message appears. The only thing done differently than in the first 35,800 miles of use, and my prime suspect, is that I used the flat 4 pin trailer connection. I have gotten feedback earlier on the F-150 Forum that the BCM is involved in this too.
Has anyone experienced similar issues and found remedies? Thanks

Last edited by shuttlepilot; 06-20-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Spacing
Old 06-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I think there were some early trailer brake controller units that had bad programming/internals that could cause some serious issues (even burn up) maybe it shorted on you?
The following users liked this post:
shuttlepilot (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Flying Low

I mentioned "BCM" earlier... should have been TBCM (trailer brake control module)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Flying Low

Default Update

Shuttle is still in the shop. I have been doing research, mostly searching on works in the F150forum. Topic came up in the following Thread
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...-fault-298857/
jaygauthier posted this and I have gotten a message from him that it was the fix and truck is fine 2 years later. Took info to my dealer today.
Stacey Condie (04-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Flying Low

Default Space Shuttle is home UPDATE

After 2+ weeks in the shop and lots of checking the following work was done. Gateway Module replaced.
Attached Thumbnails Possessed 2015 Platinum F150-20170707_075140_li.jpg  
Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shuttlepilot
After 2+ weeks in the shop and lots of checking the following work was done. Gateway Module replaced.

That stinks you had to go through that, but hopefully that's the fix. Too bad they couldn't diagnose it properly the first time around. I have a couple of dealers around me that I won't go to, specifically for that reason.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM
HFK

Some folks F150's are re....possessed.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Sometimes I'm glad I got an XLT lol. Less fancy **** to break.
MotorsportsAustin (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shuttlepilot
I'm having these same issues. Have you had any further issues after the gateway module replacement?
Old 05-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Subsribed