Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDR or Repaint??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:05 AM

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Default PDR or Repaint??

2018 Magma Red

I am looking for some opinions. I was pulling out from a plaza when I heard rocks hitting my truck. There was a guy running a string trimmer and ended up throwing rocks my way. Guy has insurance and they are paying, so cost is not a concern for me. I wound up with a 1" medium dent in the passenger door. Missing paint in the center. I got a few quotes from a PDR guy as well as regular collision shops.

PDR Quote: $300
Easy access to dent area through a factory hole. Will touch up paint using dr color chip. Does not wet sand. Guy is known to do quality work.

Collision shop #1 - $800
Experienced with aluminum. Fill n’ paint. Blending into both front and rear doors.

Collision shop #2- $1800
Collision shop at Ford dealer. Same as #2, but more expensive. Charges for replacing the seals on the doors as they claim they need to be removed to paint properly and are one-time use. Also charges to "scan" the vehicle after the repair. When questioned, they claimed it will avoid problems with the power windows. Not sure how this repair will impact any part of the electrical system.

Which way would you go, and why? I am looking to own the vehicle for a while, and want it to look good the day of the repair and for years to come. Not sure how the repaint will look, and am apprehensive about it happening on the 2 doors. The impacted area is small by comparison. If I go with PDR, I’m sure the touch up paint will stand out to me. My brain is wired to obsess over these things.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:12 AM
TOTM October 2023

Received 1,342 Likes on 661 Posts

I’m super picky about these things too, but I’m also fair. #2 seems the most reasonable way to go. Just make sure that they know, that if you’re not satisfied, option #3 is the next step.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:23 AM

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts

I have used PDR places ( reputable one's in my area ) typically $150-$200. I have had my F150(granted it's steel) 2 times dents fixed and other cars of mine as well PDR.
every time it has come out perfectly. I would try the PDR and if it's 85-95% better than that would be a win !
Sucks though, that no one cares about other peoples property.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:45 AM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I do not have experience with the PDR places. I had a ding a little deeper than yours on the cab above the rear passenger door(can't find a pic) I found a very reputable local guy who could show all the paint stuff her does. It cost me $1000 to have it fixed and it was a lot less invasive then any other of the places which quotes varied from $800 - $2500. I can't even tell where the ding was after he was done and he matched the paint perfectly, my truck is Blue Flame Metallic. so id be in favor of finding a local shop or just a guy running his own thing
Old 07-13-2021, 01:24 AM

Received 638 Likes on 472 Posts

Not sure if it is an option to try and have ins cover it but I would suggest PDR first and then if it doesn't work, regular insurance #3

I would personally probably pay the $300 at first, and see how it comes out. Always nice not to do any paint work. If it looks good, then claim it. If it does not, maybe eat that cost and go for #3.

I once saw a city maintenance employee running the weedwhacker through a mostly dirt patch right along a row of parked cars (Come on, how much grass was even still alive). I could hear rocks showering the cars and pelting the passenger sides from across the street.
I finally got his attention and asked him to stop. He told me that he knew what he was doing and was very rude and kept going!!! I finally was able to contact his manager the next day and explained the situation. He apologized and said he would discuss with him but who knows what happened. So glad my truck was not parked anywhere near where he worked, so inconsiderate.

Last edited by mbrick; 07-13-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:36 PM

Received 503 Likes on 344 Posts

Personally, if the paint is damaged, I'd at least go with the $800 option and probably seriously consider the Ford dealership option. The truck has many, many year left, and if the first collision shop doesn't replace door seals, assuming they need it, and you starting getting road noise/whistling or any other door seal problems, you'll be regretting it for a long time. I don't like having to pick the most expensive option, but this problem is not your fault, and the truck should be made right.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:16 PM
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5L

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

If it was my dime, option #1. When it was someone else's fault and they are covering it, option #2.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:44 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,345 Likes on 976 Posts

Option 2 would be my vote. It's really not a big deal getting a repaint repair as long as you go somewhere known for quality. I had one on my 2016 immediately after purchase when their bedliner shop chipped the bed. I never could tell a difference. My 2007 had a repaint in the middle of the door, and it looked flawless as well. Both looked perfect after several years.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:39 PM
Idiot Savant

Received 805 Likes on 428 Posts

Not your dime so go #3 and make sure everything that needs to be done is done.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:23 PM

Received 1,222 Likes on 765 Posts

PDR for sure.

Quick Reply: PDR or Repaint??