Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0345

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 02:58 PM

Received 267 Likes on 215 Posts

Default P0345

I treated my 2018 with the 5.0L to a tank of gas yesterday and since I normally fill up with 87 decided to treat her to 91 ( station didn’t sell 93 ) and about an hour or so later got a check engine light. Scanned with a code reader and got:P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor A

Circuit Bank 2

I have never gotten this code before, cleared it, and it came back today at lunchtime. Could it be because I put in 91 octane and the pcm needs to get used to it? Where is this particular cam position sensor located? I appreciate everyone’s advice. Thanks.

Tom
Old 03-14-2024, 04:24 PM

Received 1,298 Likes on 849 Posts

My guess, it was a coincidence, or your truck was starting to act funny and you hoped a higher octane treat would make it better?
Old 03-14-2024, 05:00 PM

Thanks SpencerPJ, it's probably a coincidence, the truck runs great, the engine is noisier than some of the other engines that I have had but have heard many times that the 3rd gen coyote is noisy. It still runs great even with the P0345 code going on. Any idea where the sensor is located?

Tom
Old 03-14-2024, 05:07 PM

Received 548 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
Any idea where the sensor is located?

Tom
Below the passenger side cylinder head on the flywheel housing. Not super bad to get at.
The following users liked this post:
vintageman (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 11:22 PM

Thanks Babock, I looked at mine and it looks like they are on the top rear of the valve covers. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and they all showed the rear of the cylinder head but those were all 2nd gen coyotes, I finally found a video of. a 2018 F150 with the 3rd gen coyote that showed them at the end of the valve cover near the firewall. Popped the hood and there they were. At least, they looked like the cam position sensors, there were two, one for intake and one for the exhaust Am I wrong?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-15-2024, 12:33 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 812 Posts

Bank 2, Sensor A is on the >driver< side, on a 5L, for code 345.
The Sensor is signaled by a timing vane that revolves on the end of upper Intake Camshaft, as it passes by the sensor tip.
Check for being plugged up securely and no wire damage, first.
Would have nothing to do with fuel used.
Good luck.
vintageman (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 01:15 AM

Received 548 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
Thanks Babock, I looked at mine and it looks like they are on the top rear of the valve covers. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and they all showed the rear of the cylinder head but those were all 2nd gen coyotes, I finally found a video of. a 2018 F150 with the 3rd gen coyote that showed them at the end of the valve cover near the firewall. Popped the hood and there they were. At least, they looked like the cam position sensors, there were two, one for intake and one for the exhaust Am I wrong?

Thanks

Tom
I read your post wrong. You are correct...that is where the camshaft sensors are. Was thinking you said crankshaft sensor.
vintageman (03-15-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:41 PM

I wanted to follow up a little more on this issue. I started getting the P0345 on every start up, the first couple of days, it would only pop up if I had driven the truck, stopped somewhere and shut it off, then it would come back. If the truck sat all night, it would not trigger the code in the morning if I had cleared it the night before. Yesterday, it started coming back first thing in the morning, and anytime that I cleared the code, it would come back the next time the truck was started but never came back during a drive cycle after clearing the code. Even if I drove the truck for an hour or more, no code until I shut it off and then restarted it. Today, the P0345 was joined by a P0349 as well. Even though I only have a couple thousand miles on the oil, I decided I would change it out while changing out the cam position sensor. Drivers side closest to the intake.is the one I changed, is that the Bank 2 Sensor A as the code references? Changing the oil and the cam position sensor did not change anything, Does it that drive cycles to get the computer to recognize that the sensor has been changed? I checked the connector and it is secure and the wires do not look like there are any issues. BTW, even after the oil change (Valvoline 5W30 Extended Protection Synthetic), the engine is still pretty noisy. Any thoughts advice on this issue? Thanks.

Tom
Old 03-18-2024, 08:33 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 812 Posts

The 349 code is also telling you the same Sensor A, Bank 2 signal is intermittent, which is what you're also describing.
The PCM Diagnostics is all over it both ways.
Changing oil won't fix an electrical problem.
The Sensor is on the rear of the driver side valve cover, higher one.
Just to be sure, it has nothing to do directly with oil flow to the VCT, up front.
Good luck.
vintageman (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:56 PM

Thanks Bluegrass, the upper one is the one I changed so hopefully after a couple drive cycles, it will update and the code will leave. Like I said earlier, I cannot find any issues with the connector or wiring. I changed the oil in hopes that it would help quiet the engine down some. But of course, it didn't. I did hook up Forscan to it a few minutes ago and did not get the P0349 code through Forscan but still got the P0345 code. I also got a code for cylinder 8 misfire, so since the dealership said they changed the plugs out during their "certified" checks and did not have any paperwork to provide, I guess I will be checking them along with coil packs and boots soon. I will be changing out the bank 2 valve cover soon, so will check the plugs out then. .
At this point, all I know is that it did not sound like this a month ago. BTW, is there a good YouTube channel that goes through all of the Forscan tests and how to interpret the test results?

Thanks and more to follow, any other advice is appreciated.

Tom

Quick Reply: P0345