Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyKey activated and only one key

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MyKey activated and only one key

Hi all, new to these forums. Just bought a brand-new (to me) '17 XLT crew and it only came with one key. COme to find out it's a MyKey. So it seems the only way to turn the MyKey off is to buy another key, program it as the admin key, and use it to turn the MyKey off. Is that right? Is there any other way to do it? Maybe with just FORScan or something?

If I go the new key route, my plan is to buy a new key from ebay who will also cut the key for me before they send it (based off a picture I send them of my key). key plus cutting is $70. Once I get the key, does anyone have a FORScan tutorial for how I would program the new key as the admin? I think the way to do it is to erase both keys, then program them both, is that right? Anyone know of a good tutorial?

BTW, I'm doing all of this in hopes of saving $100's at the dealership, which is a complete and total rip-off. Thanks all!
-Jon
Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,214 Likes on 2,873 Posts

I don't know how a key can be cut just off of a picture, and buy at your own risk on EBAY keys. We have so many customers at the dealer that try that and then the key won't program. Its only a 40-50% success rate

bite the bullet and go to the ford dealer. you probably will have to anyway if you get an ebay key
Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply! WHat does your dealership charge for a new key, cutting it, and programming it?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

From the dealer I bought the truck.... is $250 for a new cut key programmed to my vehicle. They want $60 just to program a key.
I bought a refurb'd Ford key with a new blank installed for $41 off ebay. It looks new to me. Took it to a local locksmith who cut it for $20. I called another dealer in town and the nice lady said to stop by later when not so busy and she would get it done for me. No charge there. Because she was having a late lunch when I got there a $15 gift card went to her.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

How long have you had the truck? I would go back to the selling dealership and ask them for an Admin key like you paid for. If it has Ben more then a few weeks then work with sales to help get you a better deal on a key. Myself I would want all the old keys forgot by the truck not just get another key.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

The Admin key isn't a special key. Basically any key that the truck recognizes that isn't restricted by MyKey is an Admin key. I learned that from the dealer.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 2018 F150 and when I purchased it, it came with one key fob. I purchased one off ebay, it was for an Expedition and not a F150. (difference is the tailgate button, shows a hatchback instead of tailgate) I did find out that it didn't matter, as long as the numbers match (FCC#) . It cost me $54,00 for the fob and when I took it to my local dealer, it took them 20 minutes to program it and they charged me $35.00. I did have to bring it to a locksmith to get it cut, but that was only an additional $30.00. So for $115.00 I have another key and fob. jm2c
Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

The mechanical key can absolutely be cut by a picture, including the sidewinder key used by these trucks. It's really a trivial task.

You are going to have trouble with programming. Customer programming requires two keys, so you won't be able to go this route.

To recover form your situation with no admin key, you have to erase all keys and then add two. You must have two keys to add after initiating an erase. Don't start this w/o two keys or you'll be stuck with a truck that won't start.

I believe your truck has coded pats, so that's another obstacle for you to jump through. You can check if you have coded or timed pats by scanning a pid with an obd scanner. The newest trucks have been requiring an online procedure to gain security access to the module. This procedure checks for either dealer staff id or an independent with NASTF id.

Short of having this id, you'll either need to hire an automotive locksmith or dealer to preform the erase and learn, and they aren't too keen to program keys from the internet.

Quick Reply: MyKey activated and only one key