Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple issues popping up after not driving truck for the summer

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Multiple issues popping up after not driving truck for the summer

So I have multiple issues recently after not driving my truck much at all this summer and I am not having any true luck diagnosing these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Truck: 2017 F150 Supercrew 6.5' Bed, 5.0 V8 6 Speed, 4x4, XLT (XTR) model with manual climate control and heated seats, 50,000 miles

1. Air flow from vents cuts in and out. Sometimes I will get not air flow out of any vents no matter what I have them set to (dash, floor, or defrost). When this happens, I can still hear the blower motor going full speed. This will occur even if I only have the heat on, so I don't think it is my evaporator core. Also, when airflow does seem to be working it doesnt seem to be as strong/powerful as it used to be. I had the blower motor replaced, but the issue still happens (although less frequently now).
2. It seems like it takes my truck and hot air from vents longer to heat up than it used to. Perhaps this is just me being critical or overthinking everything since I have been having the airflow issues.
3. My engine fan (radiator fan) cycles on and off frequently when the truck first starts (3 seconds on, 12 seconds off). It is very loud when doing this. After 5 minutes or so it stops doing this but will come on when driving normally. It is very loud and will run for 5 to 10 minutes before shutting back off. I don't remember it doing this before and it is way louder than I ever remember it being in the past. My coolant level is within the normal range (between min and max).
4. It seems like my truck has been slow to shift lately, and seems to lag behind when it should be either shifting up or down. Going downhill I noticed that it seems to make a much louder engine braking whine compared to the RPM's I am actually at (for example, engine braking in 2nd gear down a steep hill going about 20 mph, I think I was around 2500 RPMs, but it sounded like I was in 1st at 4000 RPMs).

Any help would be appreciated, I can try and give some more details if people have questions. I realize this is a lot and I am probably being too vague right now, and perhaps I am overthinking some of these things and they have always been there? IDK.

Last edited by CTru; 11-15-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:24 PM
2015 F150 PLATNIUM Anch

Received 634 Likes on 313 Posts

Any signs of critters of one kind or another moving in to your truck or gathering materials from your truck while it sat waiting for you ?
The following 2 users liked this post by leckbandg:
CT Jim (11-15-2022), kenv47 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by leckbandg
Any signs of critters of one kind or another moving in to your truck or gathering materials from your truck while it sat waiting for you ?
No I haven't seen any signs inside my truck or inside the engine bay based on what I can see. It has defintely been a thought of mine though as we do have mice/voles (or something) that burrow holes in our yard. But they never come in the house and, like I said, have never seen any signs around the cars/trucks.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:20 PM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

Put fresh fuel in it?
Old 11-15-2022, 06:36 PM

Received 1,324 Likes on 864 Posts

Is the battery original or need a full charging? Some of the above electrical gemlins sound as weak battery symptoms.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpencerPJ
Is the battery original or need a full charging? Some of the above electrical gemlins sound as weak battery symptoms.
I think it's still the original battery so that could be the issue, it has seemed a little weak when starting in the cold the last week or two. It hasn't died or anything like that though. So possibly the issue?
Old 11-15-2022, 07:27 PM

Received 110 Likes on 54 Posts

Very likely. Start with a fresh battery, 50k miles 5 years, is due for a change. Fresh fuel, maybe some seafoam additive to the fuel. Clean air filter? In doubt, replace
Old 11-15-2022, 07:27 PM

Received 110 Likes on 54 Posts

Very likely. Start with a fresh battery, 50k miles 5 years, is due for a change. Fresh fuel, maybe some seafoam additive to the fuel. Clean air filter? In doubt, replace

Old 11-15-2022, 07:45 PM

Received 1,006 Likes on 680 Posts

I agree with the battery issue. My `15 sits for months without driving & I have no problems at all. I replaced the battery at around the five year mark & I keep it hooked up to a Battery Tender jr.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:17 PM

Well I replaced the battery, it didn’t seem to fix any of the issues. I’m sure it was due for a new battery anyways, but would really like to figure out what is going on.

Quick Reply: Multiple issues popping up after not driving truck for the summer