Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Level between XLT-Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Level between XLT-Lariat

I think Ford needs to bridge the gap between a loaded XLT and Lariat. There are several practical items that you should be able to get without having to jump to a luxury package. I am finding the lack of power fold mirrors to be an inconvenience also the standard headlights on an XLT leave a person to wonder how in the year 2017 these can be passed as acceptable. In short offer a trim that has all the 302A options with a package for LED headlights, power fold mirrors, 4x4A, leather appointed seat trim with cloth inserts and memory seats. Please feel free to add any other practical options that should be available without having to jump to the luxury Lariat.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree, but your reasoning is exactly why Ford doesn't split it into another trim level........they want you to pay more for the Lariat and be forced to pay for other "upgrades" you don't want. They control what's on the trucks and want to maximize $.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was also frustrated by this. XLT with the 2.7 had the best rebates, many of the features I wanted weren't offered and I though the truck wasn't super comfortable. Made me quit being a cheap *** and get a Lariat 502a just like they want you to do.

Its part of their marketing strategy, if you want something close to/or a luxury vehicle you get to pay up for it.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Blunt

Received 1,073 Likes on 722 Posts

The options on trims how they are now are still good. You can get a loaded XLT for the same price as a base Lariat, but the XLT will have more than the base Lariat except for push button start and leather. Which is a great option for those like me who don't like or want leather for example. For me, the truck is for getting things done, and to be able to withstand a bit of abuse without having to worry about doing some damage to leather seats or a soft dash if I throw some tools around.
The following users liked this post:
TomT127 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm hoping they make more features available on XLT in 2018; sort of like they did with 2014->2015
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by becks
I think Ford needs to bridge the gap between a loaded XLT and Lariat. There are several practical items that you should be able to get without having to jump to a luxury package. I am finding the lack of power fold mirrors to be an inconvenience also the standard headlights on an XLT leave a person to wonder how in the year 2017 these can be passed as acceptable. In short offer a trim that has all the 302A options with a package for LED headlights, power fold mirrors, 4x4A, leather appointed seat trim with cloth inserts and memory seats. Please feel free to add any other practical options that should be available without having to jump to the luxury Lariat.
The differences you named for the new trim level are basically the only advantages the Lariat really has. So you just want a Lariat.

The Lariat 501A has basically all the features of the 302A XLT except you get dual zone climate, keyless entry, 4A, heated/cooled seats instead of just heated, and power fold mirrors. The only thing missing in the 501A is LED headlights.

I've been comparing the hell out of the Lariat and XLT, and there are some interior tweaks, sure, but the price gap is already not that gigantic between a 302A and 501A, there isn't enough room for another trim level.

I DO absolutely think they need to bring the LED headlights down a couple notches. When a base mustang can come with HIDs, it's silly that at least the XLT trim can't get the LEDs, or that HIDs aren't standard for the line up to the 502A. The halogens just take so much away from the modern appeal of the F-150 in all trim levels.

Edit: Oh yeah, the Lariat also gets Homelink, which should be standard across the entire line. Pretty much everyone has a garage door opener and it's a $2 part to Ford, I really don't get the "Luxury" part of this feature.
ssharkey8 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Well I hate to bring up GM but they are starting to put HID's in the lower trimmed trucks, even LS's. So, Ford needs to step up their game and put HID/LED's in all their trucks as well. My 2 cents. I have an XLT with the 302A. If I was to have aftermarket leather installed, it would be hard to tell my truck apart than with a lariat. I don't need leather right now (dogs/kid) so the cloth works out better for me anyways.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Vroom vroom

Received 415 Likes on 144 Posts

Its even worse for us regular cab owners.

I got the highest package availale xlt 301a
I really wanted, 20 inch sport wheels, power fold mirrors, and led lighting. Also black cloth seats instead of the medium grey ones.
Alan in bc (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by bcb97
Well I hate to bring up GM but they are starting to put HID's in the lower trimmed trucks, even LS's. So, Ford needs to step up their game and put HID/LED's in all their trucks as well. My 2 cents. I have an XLT with the 302A. If I was to have aftermarket leather installed, it would be hard to tell my truck apart than with a lariat. I don't need leather right now (dogs/kid) so the cloth works out better for me anyways.
That's a great thing really. Responding to competition is the quickest way to drive improvements. I am pretty sure it was because either the Mustang or Camaro went HID across the board that both vehicles have it. I don't know who pulled the trigger first on that one.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

They dont offer it because they want you to pay for a Lariat. If they made all of that stuff available for an XLT they wouldnt sell as many Lariats