Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight change

Old 02-02-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Headlight bulb change

Is removing the battery and the air box the way to go or removing the wheel fenders easier? I think those are the only options from what I've read.

Thanks

Last edited by Gasser55; 02-02-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You can also pull the headlights. Google it on youtube and there's lots of videos on how to do it.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Sociopath Truckdriver

Received 2,936 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Don't know what year your truck is, but if it's a '15-'17, you're supposed to be able to do it thru the wheel well. Mine's a '17. I found it easier for me to just pull the buckets and do it all off the truck. Many others have gone thru the wheelwell, that just doesn't work for an olde arthritic guy doing 18 year olde contortions.
Not sure about the '18's, but find it hard to believe you need to pull the batt or airbox to do it.
Do a google, "how to change headlights on a ,,,,,,,". Or, even look in your owners manual.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 767 Posts

What John said.

Put in your dog gone info! People are more than willin to assist but they don’t even know your year model.

I say say this with a smile because they’re very sensitive folks on here.

Pecked out on my iPhone.
The following users liked this post:
johnday (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Removing the headlights isn’t difficult. There are just a lot of screws to remove and then you have a headlight in your hands to work on instead of crawling up in the wheel wells and fumbling around in a space you can barely see.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

There are lots of platic clips if you go about pulling the headlights. Depending on your region I wouldn't advise doing it this way if it's cold as the clips may break easily.

I went through the wheel well to change the bulbs on my '16 and it wasn't terrible. I've also pulled them completely to change to morimoto housings and that wasn't too bad either. I can't say I'd want to do it just to change bulbs though.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to work on my anzo headlight and was able to reach through the fender. You have to rotate the tire all the way and squeeze in there. It is difficult to do but possible. Takes about 10 minutes to remove the fender liner. My truck is a 2015 .
Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the easiest way to change bulbs on the anzo headlights? Do you still need to take everything apart to get to them?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Sociopath Truckdriver

Received 2,936 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbman1127 View Post
Depending on your region I wouldn't advise doing it this way if it's cold as the clips may break easily.
That's exactly why I'm sitting here with LED bulbs for my front turns and markers. Not worried about the plastic clips, but do about the surrounds on the headlights. I'll betcha I've had the buckets out 8 or 9 times, even in 80* weather I grimace every time I pull those.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser55 View Post
Is removing the battery and the air box the way to go or removing the wheel fenders easier? I think those are the only options from what I've read.

Thanks
I have gone through the wheel wells twice, and it's easy: work light, stool, 1/4" drive socket, soft pry tool. I didn't take the wheel off, but I did turn it inward. If I recall: 4 screws along the wheel well, and the soft pry tool to get one body plug (go slowly) and one body rivet. Flex it aside outside of the lip and it's all right there (highs, lows, turns, fogs). I've heard of people with a stiff plastic wheel well, but mine (2018) is very easy to move aside. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight change

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: