Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Pro IWE

Old 01-17-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Go Pro IWE

2018 F-150 5.0 4x4
quick back story is that a tech snapped stud off on cv putting axle nut back on. Whole cv shaft replaced, made them pull it back out and install a new seal to the differential that was shot to hell from them getting the shaft out. Started hearing clicks every now and then. Got much much worse and all the time on and off throughout the any drive now. Obviously the clicks gotta be CV bearing noise but then I thought, Why am I hearing a cv click in 2wd? Figured IWE/s have been compromised from peaking in the service procedures and seeing some critical steps that I know would never have been followed. Here a part of the video I took with a go pro mounted from under the bumper on driver side. Just want to confirm that this would verify hub or hubs are stuck locked from others Incase I’m not understanding what should or shouldn’t be turning with the wheels in 2wd. Will check other side next.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Didn’t mean to double post the video. They are the same videos
Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The axles should spin in both 2wd and 4wd as the IWE controls the 4wd actuation via vacuum supply. Basically a gear moves back in forth within the IWE to lock into 4wd or to unlock into 2wd if that makes sense. Does the noise change when turning left or right? The issues I have seen usual have been with with vacuum leaks causing the IWE to partially engage into 4wd causing the noise. The IWE defaults to 4wd when there is no vacuum.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fatlab99
The axles should spin in both 2wd and 4wd as the IWE controls the 4wd actuation via vacuum supply. Basically a gear moves back in forth within the IWE to lock into 4wd or to unlock into 2wd if that makes sense. Does the noise change when turning left or right? The issues I have seen usual have been with with vacuum leaks causing the IWE to partially engage into 4wd causing the noise. The IWE defaults to 4wd when there is no vacuum.
That doesn't sound exactly right. The IWE lock the hubs to the cv axle or not. It does not actually unlock anything into 4wd or 2wd but rather only dictates if the wheel hubs are locked into rotation with the axle or not. When they are unlocked the wheels hubs should spin free of anything else. Just becauses a hub locks does not mean you are in 4wd because even locked there isn't any drive power to those wheels if you haven't actually put the truck in 4wd.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Been a lot of posts on here lately about 4WD related issues...
In one of the threads, someone even posted a clip from the owners manual regarding a front differential warm-up strategy that is used in these trucks. In essence the IWE's are engaged for the first 2 miles of a trip in cold weather.

That said... it's possible you're having IWE problems, but it doesn't seem like there's enough data to go on just yet.
In general, when you're in 2WD mode, the 4WD system should provide vacuum to both IWE's which disengages them. in 4WD mode, vacuum is removed, and the IWE's are engaged, locking the front wheels to the front axle shafts. This is also the case when you shut off your truck (vacuum is lost).
What trim level do you have? If you have a lariat or above, try putting it in 4A and see if the sound that you're hearing stops. If so, I'd read up on the other IWE related posts. Tons of good info, and the entire system is covered in great detail, including part numbers, services bulletins, etc.

If there's a clicking hub in the video, I didn't hear it.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

It looks like your hubs are locked all the time from the video. Were you in 2hi during that video? If so you have an issue. The axles shouldn't rotate in 2WD.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

nope. The wheels should spin freely from the axles in 2wd. The IWE engages at the wheel hubs only in 4A, 4hi and 4lo. The front driveshaft is also disengaged at the transfer case in 2hi so everything from the front axle, differential and axles should be stationary in 2WD. The axles are rotating at wheel speed in the video.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zack23434
That doesn't sound exactly right. The IWE lock the hubs to the cv axle or not. It does not actually unlock anything into 4wd or 2wd but rather only dictates if the wheel hubs are locked into rotation with the axle or not. When they are unlocked the wheels hubs should spin free of anything else. Just becauses a hub locks does not mean you are in 4wd because even locked there isn't any drive power to those wheels if you haven't actually put the truck in 4wd.
Unless something has changed with the 2018's there is always drive power to the front axles. The IWE's control 2wd or 4wd. Noise during slow figure eights usually mean CV joints and noise during heavy acceleration(loss of the vacuum supply) means IWE or related components. There is also a TSB related to IWE noise while in 2wd 18-2273.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 651 Posts

Unless something has changed with the 2018's there is always drive power to the front axles. The IWE's control 2wd or 4wd. Noise during slow figure eights usually mean CV joints and noise during heavy acceleration(loss of the vacuum supply) means IWE or related components. There is also a TSB related to IWE noise while in 2wd 18-2273.
tcp2 is right. There is no power from the TC to the front shaft, front diff and half shafts when the TC shifts to 2WD. The way the SOTF system works is when you are moving below 50MPH and you switch to 4H, the TC engages and spins up the front shaft, front diff and half shafts. Once everything is spinning, that is when vacuum is release to engage the IWEs. Ford does this to improve gas mileage as there are less moving parts when in 2WD.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,047 Likes on 6,496 Posts

OP, was the video shot in cooler temps around freezing or below? Can't say for sure, but it did sound almost like you had an IWE grinding, and the half shaft turning is telling me it was being driven by the IWE.
At freezing or below, the system tells the IWEs to lock in to warm front diff, for a distance of about 2 miles. It will also cycle into that each time you cycle the key if temps are still low.
How the hell do you bust a stud off the CV joint when reinstalling the spindle nut? I'm assuming you meant spindle nut, instead of axle nut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Go Pro IWE