Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Rust!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Bumper Rust!?!?

I have a 2015 F150 Lariat 2 tone with about 7k miles on it. I just got it back from being detailed and I noticed some chips (to be expected) from rocks in the bumper. What I did not expect was to see rust already starting to form in the chips.

Did they forget the clear coat????

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:08 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Do you have any pictures? Unprotected steel will rust. A harsh climate will accelerate this. If a rock chipped away your paint, there is no clear coat. Clear coat goes on top of the color paint, which goes on top of the primer.

However, you said bumper. So I'm guessing a piece of chrome chipped away leaving just the steel bumper.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM

My truck does not have chrome bumpers. The truck is two tone so the front bumpers are painted. I will get pics at some point. working on scheduling an appointment with dealer now.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default Front Bumper Rust!?!?

A painted surface on the front of any vehicle will get rock chips. Always has, always will. When paint gets chipped, if you have exposed metal it will rust. Fact of life. Rust is not warrantied by Ford unless it is perforated through
Old 09-02-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My colored bumper is also showing rust.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Yeah I understand all that. I would just think the paint would be thick enough to not allow chips to get all the way down to metal....disappointing.

I have an appointment scheduled for next week to show the dealer, get seats documented, and have TSB's checked.

I will report back with any findings / suggestions from the dealer.

BTW- I have some touch up paint but should I use a tiny bit of sand paper to knock the little rust off first?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jamerritt
I have a 2015 F150 Lariat 2 tone with about 7k miles on it. I just got it back from being detailed and I noticed some chips (to be expected) from rocks in the bumper. What I did not expect was to see rust already starting to form in the chips.

Did they forget the clear coat????

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Clear coat is the top coat, not undercoat. If you get a chip that goes down to bare metal and do not touch it up it will rust.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah I understand all that. I would just think the paint would be thick enough to not allow chips to get all the way down to metal....disappointing.

I have an appointment scheduled for next week to show the dealer, get seats documented, and have TSB's checked.

I will report back with any findings / suggestions from the dealer.

BTW- I have some touch up paint but should I use a tiny bit of sand paper to knock the little rust off first?

I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle that this didn't happen to. Unless it has plastic bumpers.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:03 PM

ok so I do feel better after reading that it is normal. My last truck (Chevy) had chrome and plastic bumpers. so I never had this issue. I did get a chip in the hood that rusted but that wasn't till 80k miles or so.

So my question now is if I should use a little tiny sand paper to scratch off the rust then dab a small spot of touch up paint on the spots so they don't spread / get worse????
Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

ok so I do feel better after reading that it is normal. My last truck (Chevy) had chrome and plastic bumpers. so I never had this issue. I did get a chip in the hood that rusted but that wasn't till 80k miles or so.

So my question now is if I should use a little tiny sand paper to scratch off the rust then dab a small spot of touch up paint on the spots so they don't spread / get worse????
If you can get at the spot of rust without mucking up the good parts of your bumper, yes. I try to look for chips in the bumper when I wash the truck and I try to wash it weekly if it needs it. So far I've found one chip and I was able to put use touch up paint.

An option for you if you don't want to deal with this often is getting the bumper wrapped in some protective film. They have packages that have different amounts of coverage but a bumper itself should not cost a lot.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Rust!?!?