Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EcoDrive mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EcoDrive mode

Today I tried out EcoMode vs. Normal. I got worse mileage in Eco. Will have to try an identical course for a more scientific comparison, like back and forth to work for each mode. Anyone else use EcoDrive and notice worse mileage?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts

I use ecomode sometimes wet/snow...... You can safely say wet/snow is like an eco+.....even less sentative throttle and priority upshifts....

I get better economy with either vs normal mode.... They key is to stay off the turbos (if you have an EB)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do stay off the turbos (I don't mash down the pedal) while in EcoDrive mode. I'll check again. Having come from the 2.7 Ecoboost and now with the 3.5, my mileage has gone down from typically 20.5 mpg to 19.0 overall. I'll be doing a more accurate comparison of EcoDrive vs. Normal next week.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:48 AM
CVMA

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried out eco for a bit, and too switched to just normal. I don’t like how you have to push the throttle down so far just to get going. I do like the wet/snow mode for snow driving through
Old 02-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm new to my truck and new to Eco-mode as well. What I've noticed is that it has a niche where it's useful, and it does bump the MPG up in stop n' go driving. Eco-mode is very timid with the throttle response. In certain driving conditions, like running errands through town with lots of lights, it's fine when nobody's in a hurry. In rush hour stop n' go traffic? I've decided that I'll not be turning it on. My slow acceleration translates to impatient tailgaters, and I honestly find it a little too timid on the throttle to not feel like I'm creating a problem for other drivers. Eco-mode has no problem getting the truck up to 65 MPH; it just takes longer than what a normal human is used to. Since physics are what they are, Eco does nothing at all for highway cruising.

In my limited playing around with it, resetting fuel economy gauges and what not, it feels like it's adding about 1 to 1.5 MPG with my driving routine when I can get away with it. Assuming results may vary.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't have it in my truck but wifes X3 has it.
If yo use ECO mode and want same performance as "normal" then it wont work for you.

That's the whole point, it slows throttle response down so you can save fuel. If you normally push the pedal 40% and switch to eco mode and have to push the pedal 60% then it wont work for you

You have to make your self let the trucks feature do its job.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 337 Likes on 213 Posts

You stated you tried it "today". How many miles in this test? Your testing might need to be a lot longer.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 AM
CVMA

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by twoboosted
I don't have it in my truck but wifes X3 has it.
If yo use ECO mode and want same performance as "normal" then it wont work for you.

That's the whole point, it slows throttle response down so you can save fuel. If you normally push the pedal 40% and switch to eco mode and have to push the pedal 60% then it wont work for you

You have to make your self let the trucks feature do its job.
oh I am well aware of how it works. I just don’t like how hard you have to push it to get moving at all IMO. I used it for the first 2000~ miles, and it is a decent feature. But I feel like feathering the gas at about 10% is easier than pushing the throttle down to about 65-70% to get moving is easier. To be honest, it mostly just annoys me that you have to activate it each and every time you get into the truck. If you could activate it and it would remember the last setting, I would have just left it on. Instead, I just figured out how to drive economically in normal mode

FWIW, I have been averaging exactly the same on normal as I was on ECO, but I also haven’t been driving hard either.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ECO would be great for using the ACC stop and go or cruising down the highway also on ACC. I also prefer to use the normal and feather the gas pedal. I have been using eco mode because it doesn't downshift as soon/aggressive under the same load.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This is one feature I wish i had on my 17. I would gladly use an ECO mode for my commute as the gas pedal is so touchy that it's hard to give very small increases or decreases. Feel like I'm playing a video game, with my feet/legs.

Last edited by dajohu; 02-07-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: EcoDrive mode