Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep Sleep Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep Sleep Mode

So I have a 2019 F150. 2000 miles on it. Last night I get a notification it went into “Deep Sleep Mode” and says manually starting it will wake it. It won’t even crank. Checked battery, perfect voltage. Called Ford, they said they know nothing about Deep Sleep Mode and passed me around from person to person trying to figure it out and no one in the service department had heard of it. Looking at forums, everyone else was able to turn it over and this vehicle literally won’t do ANYTHING. Any ideas? I’m scared I’m about to be totally screwed over from the warranty department since they have no idea what this is. It’s obviously not due for service, we treat our cars meticulously, do not drive them hard, HELP.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Could be an electrical issue, could be a bad battery (I've seen batteries that would show reasonable voltage but, upon any real current draw, wouldn't produce due to plate separation), could be a lot of things.

That said, your dealership has provided you a Clue(tm). A clue that they are a bunch of idiots. Consider going elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tvsjr
Could be an electrical issue, could be a bad battery (I've seen batteries that would show reasonable voltage but, upon any real current draw, wouldn't produce due to plate separation), could be a lot of things.

That said, your dealership has provided you a Clue(tm). A clue that they are a bunch of idiots. Consider going elsewhere.
agreed.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

It almost sounds like the dealership did not properly turn off Transportation Mode. When vehicles leave the factory the Battery Management System is put into Transportation Mode which reduces battery drain when the vehicle is sitting. I'm not sure what this all entails, but it obviously shuts down certain modules and may limit the ways which a vehicle can be entered (keyless entry) and started (push button). Once a vehicle is removed from Transportation Mode it cannot be re-enacted.

Below is from a Ford document that deals with the Battery Management System and battery charging. It is my only reference to Transportation Mode.
Attached Thumbnails Deep Sleep Mode-transportation-mode.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by 52merc:
Reginald Wang (02-08-2022), shelbyDog (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tvsjr

Can I go to a different dealer than the one I purchased from? I know that sounds completely naive, but we only buy new cars and switch them every two years, and I guess I’ve been lucky to never have any problems since we do basic maintenance ourselves? I actually hate how dense I sound asking that, sorry.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 281 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerKay
Can I go to a different dealer than the one I purchased from? I know that sounds completely naive, but we only buy new cars and switch them every two years, and I guess I’ve been lucky to never have any problems since we do basic maintenance ourselves? I actually hate how dense I sound asking that, sorry.
Abso-freakin-lutely you can. I do.

They want your business.
The following users liked this post:
TylerKay (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You can take your vehicle anywhere you desire. The Ford warranty is not tied to a specific dealer.
TylerKay (11-14-2019)

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 580 Likes on 391 Posts

So I have a 2019 F150. 2000 miles on it. Last night I get a notification it went into “Deep Sleep Mode” and says manually starting it will wake it. It won’t even crank. Checked battery, perfect voltage. Called Ford, they said they know nothing about Deep Sleep Mode and passed me around from person to person trying to figure it out and no one in the service department had heard of it. Looking at forums, everyone else was able to turn it over and this vehicle literally won’t do ANYTHING. Any ideas? I’m scared I’m about to be totally screwed over from the warranty department since they have no idea what this is. It’s obviously not due for service, we treat our cars meticulously, do not drive them hard, HELP.
If it will not start have them come get it and fix that problem first,then the second problem should be taken care of. If it will start then take it on a long drive and get the battery fully charged. Just guessing here but your problem is it will not start not deep sleep mode
TylerKay (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

If it has not been started for 14 days it goes into deep sleep mode. Also if the battery charge gets low. If not using daily a trickle charger will keep the battery from going low.
TylerKay (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Had this same issue - for weeks, dealer and i tried to troubleshoot/diagnose the issue. No luck - finally, the battery completely died overnight - once I got the truck jumped off, everything back to normal. The Deep Sleep occurred in June - since then, nary a hitch in the truck. So I would suggest disconnecting the battery overnight if possible, then reconnecting. Hope this helps.
Steve Osborne (11-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Deep Sleep Mode