Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Coilover questions

I’m currently running a spacer but would like a little more clearance up front and an improved ride on/off road.

Looking for 2.25 -2.5” of lift. I drive 30k+miles a year, on road manners take precedent over off-road. Budget is 1k or less.

I know Icon is most likely out based on budget. What about King, Fox, Halo, Bilstein...?

Recommendations/experience appreciated. Sponsors, feel free to PM offers if you have something that’ll work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

With a budget of 1k.. your going to be pretty limited in options. If your strictly staying within your budget I would go with the fox or halo coilovers that would be my choice. The rancho and bilstien are not near as good as fox or halo from what I have read in the past..but this is just my opinion.

If you wanted to soend some more more I would go with the icon or fox 2.5s, the kings would be a great choice all of those are superior to the 1k or less options. You get a bigger shock body that will hold more oil and stay cooler so the oil will stay cooler and not break down as fast as the 2.0 size shocks.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I also had a limited budget and did not want to go the spacer route. I took a chance on the Rancho Quicklifts 2 years ago and haven’t looked back since. I am very pleased with the performance so far. I also went with the RS-9000XL ‘s on the rear, which greatly improved the ride. No more wheel bounce when hitting a bump in a turn. The stock shocks were crap!

I gained 2.25” on the front after the truck settled (about a week after I installed the Quicklifts) and that’s where it’s at today. Now the rear is about a 1/4" higher than the front. Basically level. I have them set at 4 and the ride is a bit stiffer than stock, the way I like it. The stock coils were way too mushy for my taste. The truck feels much more stable now.

The best part about Rancho is the lifetime replacement. I had RS 9000’s on my previous 2001 F150 (bought new). Both rear shocks crapped out within a week of each other after 10 years on the truck. Both were replaced by Rancho, no questions asked. I purchased the Quicklifts and shocks at the same time to take advantage of their spring consumer promotion program. The promotion was for $120 off the set of Quicklifts and RS 9000XL shocks. With a $30 off promotion from Stage 3 Motorsports and the $120 back from Rancho my total was $430. My pocket was happy and so was my better half. Plus I had money left over for more addons!
The following 2 users liked this post by rdstrat:
chongo (04-23-2018), Jeronimo21 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by rdstrat
I also had a limited budget and did not want to go the spacer route. I took a chance on the Rancho Quicklifts 2 years ago and haven’t looked back since. I am very pleased with the performance so far. I also went with the RS-9000XL ‘s on the rear, which greatly improved the ride. No more wheel bounce when hitting a bump in a turn. The stock shocks were crap!

I gained 2.25” on the front after the truck settled (about a week after I installed the Quicklifts) and that’s where it’s at today. Now the rear is about a 1/4" higher than the front. Basically level. I have them set at 4 and the ride is a bit stiffer than stock, the way I like it. The stock coils were way too mushy for my taste. The truck feels much more stable now.

The best part about Rancho is the lifetime replacement. I had RS 9000’s on my previous 2001 F150 (bought new). Both rear shocks crapped out within a week of each other after 10 years on the truck. Both were replaced by Rancho, no questions asked. I purchased the Quicklifts and shocks at the same time to take advantage of their spring consumer promotion program. The promotion was for $120 off the set of Quicklifts and RS 9000XL shocks. With a $30 off promotion from Stage 3 Motorsports and the $120 back from Rancho my total was $430. My pocket was happy and so was my better half. Plus I had money left over for more addons!
To be honest, I never considered the Rancho's because I haven't seen many reviews and didn't think their quality would be that great, good to get a good review on them, thank you!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Rancho has been making quality shocks for a very long time. Before most of these other companies existed, Rancho was the go to for off road shocks. I wouldn't shy away from them just because everyone thinks they need $1600 coils to drive to the grocery store.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I also just installed the Rancho quicklifts for the front and 9000XLs for the rear. Very happy with price, ride feels amazing and clearance was 2.75. paid 521.00 with a 100 rebate from Rancho and installed and alligned by a local shop for a 100.00 bucks. so all in for 521.00. Much better ride.
The following users liked this post:
chongo (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by frkrican2004
I also just installed the Rancho quicklifts for the front and 9000XLs for the rear. Very happy with price, ride feels amazing and clearance was 2.75. paid 521.00 with a 100 rebate from Rancho and installed and alligned by a local shop for a 100.00 bucks. so all in for 521.00. Much better ride.
Where did you purchase them from? With their 90 day ride guarantee and that price, it would be worth a shot. I won't be flogging my truck off-road, I don't need an expensive setup. Just something that improves the ride both on and off as compared to the factory shocks/coils. This might be the ticket for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I have heard nothing but good things from guys with the Halo Lifts coilovers, and some of those guys use them pretty hard off road.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I had spacers in my 13. I rode in a friends truck which just had new shocks and struts and the ride was much better. So I decided to swap the OEM spacer setup to fox2.0. Boy did it make a difference. You forget how your shocks go to **** over time until you put new ones on.

I like then bought a 15 and put the fox 2.0 on it and same results.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstrat

Where did you purchase? Who was running the promotion? Thanks

Quick Reply: Coilover questions