Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bug deflector clip issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Old Fart

Received 298 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Bug deflector clip issue

I installed the Ford OEM deflector the other day. As many know there are 5 clips that spread across the front of the hood. The middle 3 are secured by screws to the hood while the outer 2 are slipped on and held in place by compression of the rolled clip.

I originally used a rubber mallet to force the outer clips into place. I am having an issue with the outside driver side clip. I noticed yesterday that it is not staying in place. It is sliding forward, away from the hood and dragging the clear adhesive barrier with it. I took it apart last night and untangled the barrier and reinstalled the clip, once again using the mallet. I checked it again this morning and just sitting overnight it has moved forward again.

I don't know if it is a mis-formed clip or the hood on the driver side is shaped slightly different than the passenger side, which is staying in place. Kind of stumped.

Anybody notice this issue or have any idea on how to correct it?
Attached Thumbnails Bug deflector clip issue-clip.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Yes, the OEM is a POS. Do yourself a favor and take it back and explain it is warped. Buy something else.

I had two of them, they both did the same thing. The design is simply flawed. I put a clear bra across and will never look back. Wish I would have just done it the first time.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Old Fart

Called the dealership and the parts guy said they have to warranty it since they don't sell the parts individually. So I will give it one more shot and then move on to something else or nothing at all.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a big pos. I posted a thread on it as well and removed it from the car. Under the hood towards both corners the sheet metal was raised and the clips wouldn't fit. I was afraid the thing would fly off the car. I ended up having the front of my truck wrapped by a racing places that puts the 3m protective film on high end race cars. Can barely even see it.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Old Fart

I will have to search out your thread Dave.

I have a buddy with 3.5EB Platinum who also installed the same deflector. He stopped by yesterday, described my problem to him and looked at his install. He said he didn't even push the clip on because it wouldn't go on like the left side did. He said he believes the right side of the hood is a little thicker than the left side. Should probably put a caliper to it to verify.

I asked to him to mallet it in place and let it sit overnight and see if it slips off. Waiting to hear about the result.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is what mine looked like. The hood underneath is for sure thicker (almost like they didn't pound out the hood). It could just be the way the hoods come off the manufacturing line. Another nice alternative is the avs tape one. The other thing that concerned me a lot with this bug shield is the wind hitting it as the rubber stoppers will wear the paint down after time. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Old Fart

Originally Posted by Dave Goldman
Here is what mine looked like. The hood underneath is for sure thicker (almost like they didn't pound out the hood). It could just be the way the hoods come off the manufacturing line. Another nice alternative is the avs tape one. The other thing that concerned me a lot with this bug shield is the wind hitting it as the rubber stoppers will wear the paint down after time. Good luck!
I found your post. Your issue was on the passenger side. That side for me remains firmly in place.

Did you attach the stoppers to the hood or the deflector? If attached to the hood they shouldn't wear on the paint.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Goldman
I had the AVS aeroskin, installed by local accessories dealer. Loved the way it looked... til it blew off coming down the interstate.
Not sure which way I am going to go now.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I had the same problem.

The metal on the hood was shaped in such a way that it was a bit of a wedge, pushing the clip back down over time. (A couple days.) This was only on the driver side.

What I did to fix it was to take a pair of Vise Grips, put lots of padding on them (including wooden shims) and compressed the metal where the clip was attached.

Definitely should not have had to go through that. However after doing it I've had no further problems and like the way the shield looks and works.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Wait til you wash - wax - dry your car and one of the cones pops off because you barely hit it. The tape protecting the hood will wear through.

Shakes, vibrates on the interstate. Very poor design. Also overpriced. Certainly not meant for the long haul. I'll be surprised if anyone keeps in on for long.

It's a POS.

Quick Reply: Bug deflector clip issue