Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another headlight observation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Another headlight observation

Granted that I don't get out very much after dark and haven't given much thought to the headlight bashing threads. That being said, I tried this last night. I drove without dimming my lights and met 30-40 vehicles. The moral of the story is that I only got brightlighted one time. Seems that this might be telling me something. I did this after realizing that with my new truck I was for some reason forgetting to dim and wasn't getting the reminder.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the stock halogen lights so I know how bad they are, however I think your lights must be adjusted too low. I would definitely get flashed if I drove around on high beam.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I think a lot of people just dont do that anymore, they are numb to it. I have a tinted windshield, and when I drive my wifes car at night (lower, no tint) I feel like EVERYONE has their brights on lol. But I dont flash anyone unless its REALLY bad.

I havent tried it in this truck, but in my old ram i drove around with the highs on and no one ever really flashed me either.

So do the lights just suck? are they aimed better now days? Or do people not care? too busy texting to flash you?

for the record though, i do agree the xlt light output is terrible.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 290 Likes on 169 Posts

I've got the LED's and can say they are great. I get flashed fairly regularly when my lights are just on regular beam. (Hmm. Maybe that's not so great). I did install my Billstein 5100 shocks and lifted my front end 1.5", so I should probably adjust the beam down a bit. I feel bad when I pull up behind a car at a red light and I can see the driver holding his hands up to his mirrors trying to shield himself.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

First 100 miles I put on my 2018 truck we’re over two mountain passes in a snow storm. Followed by 100 miles of 80 mph highway driving and I didn’t see any problem with Stock headlights.
The following users liked this post:
MaceWindu57 (12-05-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

No offence, but isn't the big blue highbeams indicator light in your gauge cluster enough of a reminder? There's really no excuse for this, and I see people driving with highbeams on ALL THE TIME. The highbeam indicator is the ONLY BLUE LIGHT in the cluster. I don't get how you can really miss it.... Drivers need to take responsibility to know how their vehicle works, and check the gauges once in a while, and this goes hand-in-hand with people who drive around at night with only DRL's on. /end rant

I have properly aimed quality LED bulbs that still give me a nice sharp cutoff. But if my headlights get too dirty, I might get flashed, because all the muck on the lenses is really bright. I make it a habit of wiping off my lights before going anywhere at night if they're dirty. It literally takes 5 seconds to do before getting in the truck. And I keep the microfiber cloth in the door pocket. Never get flashed otherwise.

Although I did get the middle finger the other day from someone in front of me at a red light. I usually keep my distance, but when someone's driving a super tiny car (I think it was maybe a Prius?) and their side and rear-view mirrors are lower than my headlights, then there's nothing I can really do... I'm not gonna aim my headlights down at the ground for the odd tiny car, and my truck is stock height, and lights are aimed properly.

Sorry, but it's Alberta, the land of pickup trucks and harsh winters. You really should not be buying a tiny little car that sits below all the headlights of every truck ever made.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 11-29-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
No offence, but isn't the big blue highbeams indicator light in your gauge cluster enough of a reminder? There's really no excuse for this, and I see people driving with highbeams on ALL THE TIME. The highbeam indicator is the ONLY BLUE LIGHT in the cluster. I don't get how you can really miss it.... Drivers need to take responsibility to know how their vehicle works, and check the gauges once in a while, and this goes hand-in-hand with people who drive around at night with only DRL's on. /end rant

I have properly aimed quality LED bulbs that still give me a nice sharp cutoff. But if my headlights get too dirty, I might get flashed, because all the muck on the lenses is really bright. I make it a habit of wiping off my lights before going anywhere at night if they're dirty. It literally takes 5 seconds to do before getting in the truck. And I keep the microfiber cloth in the door pocket. Never get flashed otherwise.

Although I did get the middle finger the other day from someone in front of me at a red light. I usually keep my distance, but when someone's driving a super tiny car (I think it was maybe a Prius?) and their side and rear-view mirrors are lower than my headlights, then there's nothing I can really do... I'm not gonna aim my headlights down at the ground for the odd tiny car, and my truck is stock height, and lights are aimed properly.

Sorry, but it's Alberta, the land of pickup trucks and harsh winters. You really should not be buying a tiny little car that sits below all the headlights of every truck ever made.
I guess I didn't make my observation clear. I had noticed before that I missed dimming and didn't get flashed. I just came up with the idea to not dim for a few miles as an experiment. And yes, out here in the country you'll get flashed from a mile away if somebody even thinks your lights might be bright.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People may not be flashing you on purpose. Lots of new cars have the Auto High Beams. My GF's new highlander has it and sometimes when i drive it around with it enabled it accidently kicks on the high beams for a quick second if it doesn't see the oncoming car due to a corner, hill crest, reflection or some other obstruction. So it makes it appear that i flashed an oncoming car but it was really just the auto high beams being stupid..
The following users liked this post:
Striker01 (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

In Wisconsin it is illegal to flash your brights. Our Country Cops have a habit of running on their brights just to write tickets to flashers and another reason to pull you over for more expensive offensives, remember they work for the judge / court system.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by ks54703
In Wisconsin it is illegal to flash your brights. Our Country Cops have a habit of running on their brights just to write tickets to flashers and another reason to pull you over for more expensive offensives, remember they work for the judge / court system.

What a joke. I would just say I was spraying my windshield because the cop's highbeams were washing out my dirty windshield and I accidentally pulled the stalk, which flashed the highbeams. Honest mistake