Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2018 A/C Issues

Just a quick background, this is my first f-150 since my father owned an 06 a few years ago. I have a 2018 XLT SE crew cab.

Love the truck but I have a few gripes that are really bothering me. I want to find out if others have the same issues or something is wrong with my A/C system. When turning on the A/C or fan in general, it takes about 10 seconds to get air coming out of the vents. I have never had a car take this long. Seems very extreme for a 2018 truck. Really bothers me when I get into a steaming hot truck and have to wait 10 seconds for the A/C to finally start blowing, doesn't seem like a long time but it really drives me nuts.

Another gripe I have is when using the remote starter in the cold or hot, the heat/A.C. barely blows at all. I get into the truck after 10 minutes and its still relatively cold inside. My parents own both a 2013 escape and explorer, and their cars blow heat at full blast when you use the remote start so the inside is nice and warm when you enter. They have the auto, dual climate though so that may be why there is a difference.

Am I crazy, are these things to be expected with Ford trucks? My 06 civic's A/C system was miles better than my new truck's

any insight would be much appreciated
Old 10-27-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

On the remote start you need to change the AC settings in the menu from auto to last setting. So whatever you had set for fan speed/temp when you last shut off it will do that went you remote start.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 243 Likes on 162 Posts

The blower on my '16 also does a slow ramp-up when the A/C is first turned on, and I'm pretty sure it does the same on heat. I'm not sure why Ford has started doing this. My '12 didn't do it. It does take a little getting used to, or at least it did for me.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 PM

Received 599 Likes on 298 Posts

Very old tread, but is it normal then?

quote ", Love the truck but I have a few gripes that are really bothering me. I want to find out if others have the same issues or something is wrong with my A/C system. When turning on the A/C or fan in general, it takes about 10 seconds to get air coming out of the vents. I have never had a car take this long. Seems very extreme for a 2018 truck. Really bothers me when I get into a steaming hot truck and have to wait 10 seconds for the A/C to finally start blowing, doesn't seem like a long time but it really drives me nuts.

Am I crazy, are these things to be expected with Ford trucks? My 06 civic's A/C system was miles better than my new truck's

any insight would be much appreciated" end quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

My 2018 does the same thing. I bought it last June 26, and to be honest, don't remember doing it, but maybe I just don't remember. Ha ha. It cools fine, so guess I just don't remember. Ha ha. I was cranking the temp to minimum, thinking it somehow the system 'forgot' my stored setting, and it was higher, but it wasn't. Last time I used the truck, left the temp alone at the 70 I typically use, and it started blowing cold by itself. Seems like it took forever to me too (ha ha), but must have been about 10 or so seconds too. Let's hope it doesn't get worse over time, meaning there's a problem somewhere.

My truck also blows almost no air when remote started, but I think the problem is I always shut it down before leaving the truck, and you must leave the system on and with A/C on before shutting the engine off, OR have it in auto mode, and I don't do neither. I always turn off the A/C compressor a minute before getting to my destination (to avoid mold and nasty smells), then turn HVAC off altogether. Hardly ever use remote start anyway, looking for shade instead. But next time I have to park it in the sun, might try leaving it in auto mode before shutting system off, and see what happens.

Last edited by elptxjc; 05-27-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

This hasnt gotten worse since owning the truck. Although it definitely hasnt gotten better. I guess this is just something to expect with Ford trucks. Every other car I have driven or own almost instantly starts blasting out air when you turn the AC to full.

Its annoying but I have just gotten used to it at this point.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I'll throw my theory out there on on A/C delay.

When the A/C initializes the compressor it takes a few seconds to get the evaporator to really start cooling down. Maybe Ford decided to put the delay in there because of this. That way you don't have the hot air being drawn across the evap basically fighting against it cooling down. So in the end you actually get cooler air a little sooner than you would otherwise.

That's my theory.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Our newer trucks have variable speed fan motors. (not a low-med-high 3 speed) so it generally does take 5-8 seconds before the fan comes up to full speed.
Similarly how the fan drops in speed when using carplay for text or when auto ss is engaged at a stop light in traffic...normal.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not very impressed by the AC in my 15 but that delay isn't a bug, it's a feature! All of my previous cars would turn the fans on as soon as you turned the key, giving you a blast of 150 degree air in the face before the compressor had a chance to do anything. Giving it a second to cool down before hitting you in the eyeballs with it is such a good idea that I wonder why my other vehicles didn't do it.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 PM
98f150tonyo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So the a/c on my 1998 f series lariat is great, my 2016 xlt was great also. But traded my 2016 for a 2018 xlt and since the second week of owning this truck have had a/c issues. A/c starts to work fine then you still hear the blower working but ,no air comes out of the vents. Hot air comes out of the vents but not with pressure and, sometimes it smells bad. I have taken it to the dealer 2 times but can’t duplicate the concern. I am an ex ford tech has anyone experienced this? Also now the passengers front door when a/c is on and passenger gets out the door pops open when you close it. Thank yiu for any help