2017 F 150 5.0 Owners Come On In! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F 150 5.0 Owners Come On In!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MaceWindu57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 25
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default 2017 F 150 5.0 Owners Come On In!

Hi forum members, I'm the proud owner of a 2017 F150 Lariat SuperCrew in Oxford White, FX4, with the 5.0 liter V-8, and I'm VERY pleased to have this engine and trim level. I'm NOT bashing Ecoboost engines at all, but I prefer a naturally aspirated engine; and I'm also glad NOT to have that stop/start feature; I've driven them and don't like them, so until it becomes unavoidable I plan to steer clear of forced induction and auto stop/start, I suspect the constant stop/start could limit starter life. I'm sure manufacturers have made allowances for this in design (perhaps), but I'd like to see some statistics.

I also love the sound of that 5.0 V-8!

Last edited by MaceWindu57; 12-05-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Correction
MaceWindu57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
rider_marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sumner County, TN
Posts: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Yup, digging the sound from the Coyote 5.0!
rider_marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I’ve got the same truck as you basically only different color. I had a loaner with a 3.5eb for over a month so after daily driving both I much prefer my 5.0.
slowpony46 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slowpony46 For This Useful Post:
MaceWindu57 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
50thpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 23
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceWindu57 View Post
Hi forum members, I'm the proud owner of a 2017 F150 Lariat SuperCrew in Oxford White, FX4, with the 5.0 liter V-8, and I'm VERY pleased to have this engine and trim level. I'm NOT bashing Ecoboost engines at all, but I prefer a naturally aspirated engine; and I'm also glad NOT to have that stop/start feature; I've driven them and don't like them, so until it becomes unavoidable I plan to steer clear of forced induction and auto stop/start, I suspect the constant stop/start could limit starter life. I'm sure manufacturers have made allowances for this in design (perhaps), but I'd like to see some statistics.

I also love the sound of that 5.0 V-8!
Your comment about 5.0 vs Eco is very debatable. I live in a high elevation and pull a trailer. My 3.5 eco will out tow the 5.0 any day of the week. I reserve the 5.0 for my Mustang. In that car I love the 5.0. In my truck, don't want it. Everybody has the right to their opinion though. That why Ford builds so many different power plants.

As far as the auto stop/start feature goes, if you really understand the thinking behind it and what it can do for mileage you wouldn't knock it. I went to a fleet seminar when Ford was looking at this feature heavily and learned a lot about it and what it can do for fuel mileage. Limiting starter life is one of the very untrue issues of this feature. I have it on my truck, use it as designed, and love it. The last thing I am worried about is starter life, flywheel wear, and starter gear wear. Yes, they have made allowances for wear.
50thpony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 50thpony For This Useful Post:
tuckr2 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
The Anti-Chrome
iTrader: (2)
 
Summers22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,928
Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default

Welcome to the club! I am digging my 5.0, but really will be tomorrow after I get my Borla XR-1 installed!
Summers22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Member
 
Rupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 65
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Congrats on the new truck! I love the raw power of an unmolested naturally aspirated engine, no question.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rupert For This Useful Post:
MaceWindu57 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
nampa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Idaho
Posts: 422
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summers22 View Post
Welcome to the club! I am digging my 5.0, but really will be tomorrow after I get my Borla XR-1 installed!
I've got the Borla Touring exhaust on my 2017 5.0 and it sounds just right. Not too loud but you know your driving a V8. Your going to really be impressed when you get your Borla muffler on your 5.0. Enjoy!!
nampa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nampa45 For This Useful Post:
Summers22 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 AM   #8
is the Man!
 
goathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summers22
Welcome to the club! I am digging my 5.0, but really will be tomorrow after I get my Borla XR-1 installed!
That XR-1 is a fantastic muffler. I had one paired with a Ultra Quiet resonator on my Titan and it sounded great and had ZERO drone. I'm sure my long tube headers helped too
Enjoy the sound!
goathead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goathead For This Useful Post:
Summers22 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
If not today, when ??????
 
1 Alibi 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Hackettstown, N.J.
Posts: 605
Thanks: 0
Thanked 61 Times in 56 Posts
Default

...................It was the right choice for me:
I don't tow.
Have no interest in turbos.
Have no use for the stop/start feature.....( yes I know you can turn it off )
Had I ordered an 18, it would have come with a 10 speed, overkill for the way I drive.
.
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MaceWindu57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 25
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50thpony View Post
Your comment about 5.0 vs Eco is very debatable. I live in a high elevation and pull a trailer. My 3.5 eco will out tow the 5.0 any day of the week. I reserve the 5.0 for my Mustang. In that car I love the 5.0. In my truck, don't want it. Everybody has the right to their opinion though. That why Ford builds so many different power plants.

As far as the auto stop/start feature goes, if you really understand the thinking behind it and what it can do for mileage you wouldn't knock it. I went to a fleet seminar when Ford was looking at this feature heavily and learned a lot about it and what it can do for fuel mileage. Limiting starter life is one of the very untrue issues of this feature. I have it on my truck, use it as designed, and love it. The last thing I am worried about is starter life, flywheel wear, and starter gear wear. Yes, they have made allowances for wear.
I'm happy you're happy with your Ecoboost; however, don't make this post a debate on the virtues of the 3.5 vs. 5.0. Ford has offered different power plants for different uses and owners; you enjoy your Ecoboost, and auto stop/start, which I still suspect will end up with you paying for a new starter sooner than later, just don't try to make it my choice or infer it's superior, this is about choices; as I said in my original post I'm NOT bashing anyone's choices OR "knocking" the Ecoboost engines, I happen to enjoy the choice I made, and I respect your choice as well; kindly do the same, don't hijack this thread and turn it into a debate because that's not the intention of my post.

I'm not in the high elevations, and I currently don't tow anything, but if I do, I'm sure the 5.0 will be more than adequate and up to the task. Also, I asked 5.0 owners to come in, and you're kind of not in that category. Thank you.

Last edited by MaceWindu57; 12-08-2017 at 09:17 AM.
MaceWindu57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaceWindu57 For This Useful Post:
ybot (12-07-2017)
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: