Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 vs 2017 - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Question 2016 vs 2017 - What to do?

Hello all!

I am a previous member of the forum from when I had my 2004 F-150 before trading it for my 2014 Ram 1500 - big mistake.

I recently settled a lawsuit with FCA on the truck and will be receiving a settlement check sometime in January. The is no question about what truck I want and it sure is not a RAM. With the 2017s rolling out and the 2016s becoming thin to find exactly what I want, I'm looking for a little advice and experience from others.

Here is the build that suits me best:

F-150 SuperCab 4x4
145" Wheelbase
3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine
Bronze Fire
Medium Camel Interior
302A Package
Trailer Tow Package
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Cloth 40/Console/40

I have a dealer that will work with me and give me the best deal possible (personal friend). He has already said that he will bring in any truck I want from another dealership. With that said, I found a truck in Rhode Island that meets all of the criteria above except for the ITBC which I could always just have installed on delivery along with Katzkin leather. This is the closest one I have been able to find from my area - Pittsburgh, PA.

Originally I was looking for a 2.7 EcoBoost but I started thinking about down the road. I will be in the market for a horse or livestock trailer, preferably a gooseneck in the near future as my fiance is looking for her first horse. I think the 2.7 could probably handle it but I just think I would have a better piece of mind towing with the 3.5. I would also love to do a SCrew 6 1/2' Bed but I just can't justify the price jump and not to mention that would just make it that much harder to find exactly what I want.

Due to the slim inventory selection, I am wondering if I would just be better off ordering a 2017 built how I want it since I can't do anything until January. I also wouldn't mind the 10 Speed Transmission but it is not something that I absolutely need.

Lastly, is the price. I am sure my dealer is going to be more motivated to work with me on a 2016 over a 2017. But, if someone has some advice on this and thinks I might be able to get a really good deal on a 2017, please, by all means chime in. I will say, I'd be happy with which ever model year I end up with - just as long as it is not another RAM!
Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Considering what you just went through with the Ram..... do you really want to buy a 2017 F150 with a all new 10 speed and all new 3.5 ecoboost ?
The new engine and trans are sure to have a few issues before the bugs are worked out.
Look for a 16 and save yourself the headache of a first year engine trans combo.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris70:
Growinupmx (12-15-2016), stringer (12-14-2016), Toddman38 (12-14-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Your best bet is to talk with your friend at the dealership some more. Especially if he can bring in trucks from other dealers. Spend some more time there, if he's a personal friend, he'll be able to help you out with a better deal, and better info than anyone on this forum can.
The following users liked this post:
stringer (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Crotchety Old Man

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

What did (or didnt) go wrong on the ram, I aks because the F150 prices are so bonkers high now Ive considered a hemi 8 speed ram.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

I personally would go for a left over 2016.
stringer (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought a 2016 XLT, and the Ford rebates were $6,250 (total price was $11.5k off sticker). The rebate on a 2017 was $750, and I'm guessing the dealer wouldn't have gone under invoice for me either, so a 2017 probably would have been $7k (or more) more than the 2016. Definitely wasn't worth it to me.

Last edited by ian1386; 12-14-2016 at 05:08 PM.
stringer (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

There are no 16's left that would meet my exact build criteria so I am more than likely looking at a 17. If I am going to pay this much for a truck and own it for some years I want it to exactly what I want. I have had zero issues with my gen 1 ecoboost, and honestly don't think the new gen 2 combo will have catastrophic issues. I am sure there will be some kinks to work out, but I plan on getting exactly the truck I want and possibly purchasing an extended warranty. I believe an article this week mentioned the hold was not even related to the transmission as was being reported, that could all be PR since they had Mike Levine issue the statement.

Had a 16 existed that met my needs I would probably have jumped on it due to the rebates, but i have been pretty excited for the new combo since it was announced. Heck it may be worth it to wait for the 18 refresh with some of the rumors churning about possible updates/changes coming.
stringer (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I know there is bound to be issues, but if you want an Eco and do towing, Id have a hard time passing up 470lbs of torque and the 10sp tranny.
stringer (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GrasslandHVAC
What did (or didnt) go wrong on the ram, I aks because the F150 prices are so bonkers high now Ive considered a hemi 8 speed ram.
Oh god, where do I begin lol.

I'll start off with the pros:
-Hemi is one strong motor
-8spd Tranny is great!
-I do/did like the exterior styling

Now the cons:
-5 replacement radios since April and I still have numerous issues
-New hood because mine corroded after 2 years
-New fuel pump
-Multiple Check Engine Lights
-Issue with the emissions system and Ram can't figure out the issue despite a CEL. They "fixed it" by erasing the code and charging me $70....just for the light to come back on after a week. I can't pass my state inspection because of it.
-Issues with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System
-Issues with the ambient Temperature Gauge
-I lost my fuel gauge multiple times
-I lost my electronic power steering at one point and had no control of my truck on multiple occasions. One of these instances caused my fiance to be thrown into oncoming traffic and inches from a guard rail. RAM said it was my tires...

I'm sure I'm missing a few others here or there. My advice, you get what you pay for. I've learned this the hard way. I was just like you, the price of the Rams were pretty nice compared to the F-150 but in the end, saving a few dollars just gave me headaches and trips to the service shop at least once every other week since April when I had my first issue.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stringer
Hello all!

I am a previous member of the forum from when I had my 2004 F-150 before trading it for my 2014 Ram 1500 - big mistake.

I recently settled a lawsuit with FCA on the truck and will be receiving a settlement check sometime in January. The is no question about what truck I want and it sure is not a RAM. With the 2017s rolling out and the 2016s becoming thin to find exactly what I want, I'm looking for a little advice and experience from others.

Here is the build that suits me best:

F-150 SuperCab 4x4
145" Wheelbase
3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine
Bronze Fire
Medium Camel Interior
302A Package
Trailer Tow Package
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Cloth 40/Console/40

I have a dealer that will work with me and give me the best deal possible (personal friend). He has already said that he will bring in any truck I want from another dealership. With that said, I found a truck in Rhode Island that meets all of the criteria above except for the ITBC which I could always just have installed on delivery along with Katzkin leather. This is the closest one I have been able to find from my area - Pittsburgh, PA.

Originally I was looking for a 2.7 EcoBoost but I started thinking about down the road. I will be in the market for a horse or livestock trailer, preferably a gooseneck in the near future as my fiance is looking for her first horse. I think the 2.7 could probably handle it but I just think I would have a better piece of mind towing with the 3.5. I would also love to do a SCrew 6 1/2' Bed but I just can't justify the price jump and not to mention that would just make it that much harder to find exactly what I want.

Due to the slim inventory selection, I am wondering if I would just be better off ordering a 2017 built how I want it since I can't do anything until January. I also wouldn't mind the 10 Speed Transmission but it is not something that I absolutely need.

Lastly, is the price. I am sure my dealer is going to be more motivated to work with me on a 2016 over a 2017. But, if someone has some advice on this and thinks I might be able to get a really good deal on a 2017, please, by all means chime in. I will say, I'd be happy with which ever model year I end up with - just as long as it is not another RAM!

Id say whatever makes you the happiest walking out of the dealer. Dont settle, when dropping this amount of coin, be picky. I think if your patient the 17 will be better. But thats if you cant wait that long. You might sacrifice a bit of your incentives being so specific. Although I would press them hard about getting every extra dollar you can get. When I bought my F150 I went in telling them I wanted to go back to chevy because my expedition fell short of expectations. And everytime They got stubborn with me Id tell them Id rather just have another chevy. (I had no intentions on another chevy.) Color will make finding an the exact 16 hard to find. When I worked at Acura people who bought first year models typically got hooked up due to common issues that tend to never go away. I remember the MDX had a factory warranty/recall until 140k on their new transmissions. My 3.5 ecoboost has been great but as far as fuel eco its nothing better than the 5.0.
stringer (12-14-2016)