Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Lariat to 1A Fold/Telescope/BLIS/Heated mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 03:55 PM
BDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Lariat to 1A Fold/Telescope/BLIS/Heated mirrors

I've been reading the big main thread about converting an XLT and changing the harness and so on, but I can't find a way to fix my telescoping but I figure one of you has probably done this by now and can light my path.

My 2016 Lariat came with the 502A/ w tech pkg, so it has a 22 pin connector and did everything but telescoping from the factory. With the 1A mirrors I bought, Model TR00412 and 13, they should be a direct replacement, adding the functionality of power telescoping. They were truly plug and play, and everything works great just swapping over the connectors; EXCEPT the telescoping. I installed a new window switch, FL3Z-14529-BA, because it has everything my old switch has with the addition of the telescoping feature. Right out of the box it controlled the windows, did the auto up/down, and even the folding is perfect, so it seems everything is wired right, but the mirrors won't even think about telescoping. My first 1A Drivers mirror was delivered with a big crack in it from shipping, so 1A sent a new one, gratis, and it's got the same non-telescoping issue, so I think the mirror itself is ok. The only thing left is the window switch, so I returned/replaced it with another FL3Z-14529-BA, just in case. No luck.

It didn't come with power telescoping, so I thought maybe programming the driver's module would do something, but I'm not seeing the telescoping setting in FORscan (which I might have missed), so I'm not hopeful there.

It has the relays installed in the under hood fuse box (4 and 8), although I'm not getting any power on them. If there were power there I'd jump the pins and check for movement which would at least prove the wiring was right and point back at something between the switch and the relay.

This was supposed to be a 45 minute job, and it's almost done, but I've spent hours on it and can't get the last little bit. Any help?

Thanks

Last edited by BDA; 08-30-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:04 PM

Received 394 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by BDA
I've been reading the big main thread about converting an XLT and changing the harness and so on, but I can't find a way to fix my telescoping but I figure one of you has probably done this by now and can light my path.

My 2016 Lariat came with the 502A/ w tech pkg, so it has a 22 pin connector and did everything but telescoping from the factory. With the 1A mirrors I bought, Model TR00412 and 13, they should be a direct replacement, adding the functionality of power telescoping. They were truly plug and play, and everything works great just swapping over the connectors; EXCEPT the telescoping. I installed a new window switch, FL3Z-14529-BA, because it has everything my old switch has with the addition of the telescoping feature. Right out of the box it controlled the windows, did the auto up/down, and even the folding is perfect, so it seems everything is wired right, but the mirrors won't even think about telescoping. My first 1A Drivers mirror was delivered with a big crack in it from shipping, so 1A sent a new one, gratis, and it's got the same non-telescoping issue, so I think the mirror itself is ok. The only thing left is the window switch, so I returned/replaced it with another FL3Z-14529-BA, just in case. No luck.

It didn't come with power telescoping, so I thought maybe programming the driver's module would do something, but I'm not seeing the telescoping setting in FORscan (which I might have missed), so I'm not hopeful there.

It has the relays installed in the under hood fuse box (4 and 8), although I'm not getting any power on them. If there were power there I'd jump the pins and check for movement which would at least prove the wiring was right and point back at something between the switch and the relay.

This was supposed to be a 45 minute job, and it's almost done, but I've spent hours on it and can't get the last little bit. Any help?

Thanks
I thought wiring had to be added under the dash for the telescoping. It’s not a Forscan thing from what I remember. Not sure which thread you were reading.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:32 PM
BDA

Could be something like that. I saw some parts about additional wiring for the telescoping but that called for me to move a pin that is mapped to folding, which I know is working so I chalked the extra wiring up to those going from an 8 pin to 22 pin connector. I was hoping Ford already had that set up for me...
Old 08-30-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by BDA
Could be something like that. I saw some parts about additional wiring for the telescoping but that called for me to move a pin that is mapped to folding, which I know is working so I chalked the extra wiring up to those going from an 8 pin to 22 pin connector. I was hoping Ford already had that set up for me...
I'm pretty sure their is a thread on wiring up the telescoping mirrors, seems to me the wiring isn't there in the dash from the driver side to the passenger side.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:52 AM

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I too have a 2016 Lariat but the 501A package. Mine had the small mirrors that folded, had BLIS, heated, monochromatic, yadi, yadi, yadi, everything but cameras. I ordered the factory mirrors from Auto Nation White Bear Lake and the correct switch from another dealer. I swapped the mirrors, put the new switch in, swapped two wires on each side at the connecter going to the mirrors and everything worked great. Not sure why your's won't work. I don't remember if I made any changes with FORScan for that or not, but I know I did to get the tilting in reverse to work. Might be something between the switch and the aftermarket mirrors not being compatible. I press the button below the 4 way directions on the bottom left side (the button showing the mirrors folding in and out) on the switch, then press right or left arrow to extend/retract mirrors. Good Luck figuring it out!!

Here's the switch pictured:

Last edited by Griffalo; 08-31-2020 at 04:59 AM. Reason: added switch pic
The following users liked this post:
BDA (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 07:13 AM
BDA

Thank you Griffalo, I should have the same wiring as you exactly. The camera is a separate six pin plug on it's own so it has no part in the mirror movement. I'll dig back into SCrew Power Fold Mirror guide someone posted on the XLT retrofit thread and get to those wires again. I'll post again with my results in a few days (need to get a pin removal tool).
Old 08-31-2020, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by BDA
Thank you Griffalo, I should have the same wiring as you exactly. The camera is a separate six pin plug on it's own so it has no part in the mirror movement. I'll dig back into SCrew Power Fold Mirror guide someone posted on the XLT retrofit thread and get to those wires again. I'll post again with my results in a few days (need to get a pin removal tool).
the wires that get swapped are for opening and closing the mirrors and have nothing to do with the telescoping of the mirrors.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:45 PM

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy49913
the wires that get swapped are for opening and closing the mirrors and have nothing to do with the telescoping of the mirrors.
You're right Gordy. I forgot to mention that until the wires were swapped on mine, the mirrors worked opposite of what they were supposed to. When I started the truck, the mirrors would fold and when I shut it off, they would unfold. Swapped the wires and everything worked fine.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lariat to 1A Fold/Telescope/BLIS/Heated mirrors