Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘19 5.0. Anyone lucky enough to have this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 03:44 AM
GS448boro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ‘19 5.0. Anyone lucky enough to have this noise?

I’ve scoured the forums to try to find the source, cause, and possible fix for the rattle noise i hear coming from the front of the truck. Sorry about the long post, but I want to provide some backstory and a good description of what’s going on.

Around 1500 miles ago (5000miles), I took the truck in to address the noise and excessive oil consumption issue. They ended up telling me the noise was normal and referenced the “typewriter” noise TSB, which I knew was not the same as my issue because I’ve heard sound clips online and my truck had never made that noise. Long story short, they performed the oil consumption TSB, changed the oil, and sent me on my way. and now my truck makes the typewriter noise after cold start and goes away after it warms up.

Here’s the original issue though.

2019 5.0. 6500 miles. I’m hearing a rattle/knocking noise coming from the front end. Happens ANYTIME under light acceleration from 3rd gear and up (around 1800RPM). The sound is a lot worse when the engine is cold and going up slight incline. It has gotten worse over the past 1500-2000 miles.

Thought it was IWE but it occurs in 2wd and 4wd. Then saw a TSB involving something with the torque converter but my build date was not included: 06/2019. And I couldn’t find anything online that matched the sound and description of my problem. Anyone have any input or experience with this? I’m slightly mechanically inclined, but know next to nothing about vehicles.

Video clip is attached, it is from a cold start and going up the sight hill coming out of my neighborhood.

Last edited by Taylor Larson; 05-02-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Added video link
Old 05-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

What fuel do you use? It is likely spark knock. I have to use 93 or at least 89 octane. Happens anytime the engine is lugging in a higher gear. These have higher compression ratio than previous gens at 12.1. It does say minimum required fuel is 87, but recommended fuel is 91 octane in owners manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4.6Intruder:
Breanna (05-02-2020), Taylor Larson (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

X2 on filling it up with 93 right away.
Although I think you have more trouble than just that.
Could be a bad injector, or air leak causing a lean condition.
Maybe they forgot to put in the knock sensors
Old 05-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Received 3,000 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Take advantage of the cheap gas prices!
Run it empty then fill it up with highest octane you can find and try again.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:51 AM
GS448boro

Originally Posted by 4.6Intruder
What fuel do you use? It is likely spark knock. I have to use 93 or at least 89 octane. Happens anytime the engine is lugging in a higher gear. These have higher compression ratio than previous gens at 12.1. It does say minimum required fuel is 87, but recommended fuel is 91 octane in owners manual.
Fun stuff...engine knock was what I was afraid of. I’ve been driving it like this for a couple months. How much damage do y’all think I’ve done to it in that amount of time?

I’m taking the truck back to the dealership on Tuesday to have them replace my warped dash pad and to check out the noise again.

I’ve been using 87. I have about 1/3 of a tank. I think I’ll wait until they look at it before I try the 93 octane.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:39 AM

Received 278 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor Larson
Fun stuff...engine knock was what I was afraid of. I’ve been driving it like this for a couple months. How much damage do y’all think I’ve done to it in that amount of time?

I’m taking the truck back to the dealership on Tuesday to have them replace my warped dash pad and to check out the noise again.

I’ve been using 87. I have about 1/3 of a tank. I think I’ll wait until they look at it before I try the 93 octane.
I had some odd pinging/knock sounds especially in higher gears even on highway uphill, the engine just lugs on 87 octane with the 10 speed gear programming. These blocks are 12:1 compression now and DI/PI, run 93, 87 sucks in them. Even on factory tune 93 is good for about another 20hp as well on the dyno. Well worth the miniscule extra fuel cost, I fill up at Costco anyway which is stupid cheap for top tier 93.

Reminds me of GM 6.2, sure you can run 87, but in the Denali etc it sucks on 87 as well and needs 93.

Yours is pretty noticeable in that video though, that's pretty loud so could point to another issue.

Last edited by Quick10; 05-02-2020 at 11:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Taylor Larson (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 03:53 PM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I doubt you did any damage to it, but doesnt hurt to have them take a look at it. I drove mine awhile like that not knowing any better even going from Illinois to Florida and back. I never experienced spark knock before and was thinking it was trans related as it makes a lot more noise than my previous 6 speed. After driving with the service manager to confirm I have been using 93 ever since and never had an issues since. Have 45k on it now and its been great so far.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:48 PM
Drive It Hard

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Sport mode, and premium gas at all times.
It won't lug as badly, and the gas is better.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:42 AM

Received 1,043 Likes on 747 Posts

Default Normal 3rd gen 5.0 stuff

If you’ve truly scoured the forums you would know the 3rd gen 5.0 is a mechanically noisy engine, to varying degrees. There are a number of noises, from ticking, rattling, spark knock, and something that sounds like rod knock. You would also know that ford claims it’s all a normal characteristics of the engine. You have a couple options: to get used to it / ignore it, or get something else.

Mine was obnoxious but also had a lot of other issues not related to the engine, so I traded it, happy as a clam now.

Last edited by isthatahemi; 05-03-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:22 PM
GS448boro

Originally Posted by isthatahemi
If you’ve truly scoured the forums you would know the 3rd gen 5.0 is a mechanically noisy engine, to varying degrees. There are a number of noises, from ticking, rattling, spark knock, and something that sounds like rod knock. You would also know that ford claims it’s all a normal characteristics of the engine. You have a couple options: to get used to it / ignore it, or get something else.

Mine was obnoxious but also had a lot of other issues not related to the engine, so I traded it, happy as a clam now.
Did you enjoy your Sunday afternoon power-trip?

I’m glad you felt compelled to waste your time making a useless reply to an otherwise useful and informational thread. It’s very possible that this thread could help someone else pinpoint this issue for them as well.

For everyone else, thanks for the awesome replies!
The following users liked this post:
xrlizard (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: ‘19 5.0. Anyone lucky enough to have this noise?