Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Slight whine under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight whine under the hood

Took my truck for some minor offroading like a week ago. It was kind of sandy, which may be the problem.

There is a slight whine coming from under the hood and it seems to be almost RPM matched. The belt looks to be in good condition, and all my fluids look good. I'm thinking there might be some sand in the fan clutch or something like that. Anyone ever encounter this before?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know mine whines when its really cold out. Mines the power steering that whines and goes away once the truck levels off, and warms up a bit. But ive never dealt with your situation
Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Okay, well today while driving home from work I was closely watching my RPMs and comparing the number to the noise. It seemed too closely matched to me to be the fan clutch or something along those lines. So I took it to the mechanic.

Come to find out, the idler pulley was just barely hanging on for dear life, and needed to be replaced. It was an emergency fix at a shop closest to work, but it wasn't a ford dealership. Do you guys think my extended warranty is void by me going there? The mechanic said it was so severe he couldn't allow me to leave with the truck, for my safety, and the safety of everything under the hood.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Bleeds FORD Blue

glad you saved yourself from any major problems. Good to know you got it fixed
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Whine?? Could it be a hidden supercharger somewhere???........LOL

Sorry I had too!!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Hahah

Don't worry, I joked to my brothers one friend that it was a supercharger He believed me. Sounded just like it.

So, do you guys think it will void my warranty because I had to take it to my local mechanic who doesnt happen to be a dealership?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Nah it won't void your warranty. I did the same thing to my GP when I had. I took it to a friend's shop and had something checked out but it didn't void anything.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 PM
American Pride!!

Originally Posted by Hysteric
Okay, well today while driving home from work I was closely watching my RPMs and comparing the number to the noise. It seemed too closely matched to me to be the fan clutch or something along those lines. So I took it to the mechanic.

Come to find out, the idler pulley was just barely hanging on for dear life, and needed to be replaced. It was an emergency fix at a shop closest to work, but it wasn't a ford dealership. Do you guys think my extended warranty is void by me going there? The mechanic said it was so severe he couldn't allow me to leave with the truck, for my safety, and the safety of everything under the hood.

That mechanic nows he can sell.LOL!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM

as long as it was a licensed mech you will be fine man. I just fixed the same thing on my truck like 2days ago. Same thing i went off roading and then i started to get a whine. i swaped out a few of the bearings on the idelers and baam she is as good as new again.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Hmm. I wonder how widespread the idler pulley whine is. Any other people get this after offroading besides me and reader?

Quick Reply: Slight whine under the hood