Topic Sponsor
3.7L Discuss the new 3.7L V6.

more miles....quick question

Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Chrisj

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Default more miles....quick question

With the 6 speed tranny on the 3.7 does anyone else experience a rather harsh downshift to first gear if you have to stop even just a tad quicker than normal?

I was following a car that had a clear right turn on red situation. They were already at a full stop and I was quite a way from them, but they wouldnt go. so I had to stop as well obviously and as the tranny shifted into first it was a wake up.....never felt it do that before. Nothing horrible just a definite shift like when you should have left in second (manual) but went all the way to first and didnt realize how fast you were going when you let that clutch out.

Besides that one weird shift the drivetain in the truck has been amazing so Im not thinking anything is wrong. I really love driving this truck, and its my first automatic truck....I thought it was going to be boring. Not so

Last edited by Chrisj; 12-04-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 1,019 Likes on 727 Posts

Yup. I have. Sometimes a clunk as well. Dealer lubed the driveshaft and reset the learning on the trans, and it went away for a week or 2.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Stevo the fish killer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clunks, bumps and thumps

At ~9K miles, my truck has done this sort of thing a few times; hard shifts under hard acceleration, hard downshifts, hard shifts 1-2 under moderate acceleration etc.
Hasn't really bugged me as they have not been or become recurrent. This truck has a very compex algorithm determiniing shift points and my take is sometimes driving conditions throw it a curve. That said, overall I love the 6spd tranny, had been a manual shift guy for years, never again.
Love my "base model" F-150.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to highjack your thread, but Crestview is right down the road from me. Also I am currently deployed with the Crestviews sister unit out of Quincy. Anyways I have seen quite a few of the Crestview soldiers over this way.
Cheers
Ricky Finch
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Chrisj

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbafinch07
Not to highjack your thread, but Crestview is right down the road from me. Also I am currently deployed with the Crestviews sister unit out of Quincy. Anyways I have seen quite a few of the Crestview soldiers over this way.
Cheers
Ricky Finch
Cool and thanks for your service........I retired (23 years AF) here in Crestview in 2000
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine too. Although it happens much less now that the truck has some miles on it (about 10k). The first time it happened, I thought I got rear ended! I don't think it is anything to worry about. It sounds like they all do it, to some degree. My theory is this is one of those things that may improve as the trans "learns" your driving style. I also believe this condition is somewhat amplified due to the rear leaf springs twisting, which is normal. The reverse engagement also feels kind of funky, and somewhat similar to the downshift thing. This has NOT improved over time, and I don't think it will. Just kind of got used to it.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out TSB's Ford had numerous problems back in 2011 with this trans. Thought they fixed it.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Have noticed sensitive upshift and downshifts with engine cold, on fast idle even after 44,000 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: more miles....quick question