Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

turn headlights into strobe lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default turn headlights into strobe lights?

i was watching this video:

and about 3:30 through the video he shows his strobe headlights. just wondering if anyone knows how to do that?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Put strobes in the headlight housing.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Those are not strobes. That's wig wags. They are hard wired in with the electrical going to each headlight. You can order Wig Wag units fron Gall's and probably ebay. Strobes are stand alone units with a hole drilled into the headlight housings and a strobe bulb inserted into the housing with a grommet.

If your looking to just have a parking lot show piece, I'd do strobes. When wig wags malfunction, they can jack with the electrical and possibly cause a headlight outage. Seen it on many emergency vehicles over the years. Stand alone strobes are best. If they go out, it's just the strobe bulb and not your headlights. Check your local laws though. I can use either on the road in my area as a first responder. Otherwise, if I was using them anywhere other than private property, it's considered police impersonation and a felony.

Last edited by unit505; 03-11-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
We'd do it

It's not impersonating a police officer unless they're red or blue. You don't have to pull over for a flashing white light.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Here, wig wags are illegal unless on the front of an emergency vehicle. That includes volenteer firefighters/EMTs though, but you damn well better be going to a fire/ accident scene...
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
We'd do it

Strobes are illegal if the vehicle is in motion. Emergency vehicles excluded, and school buses.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Strobes are illegal if the vehicle is in motion. Emergency vehicles excluded, and school buses.
X2 at least that's the law here in California. I can't imagine anywhere is more strict bit you can easily search your local laws. You can attach any lights you want as long as they are not on when the vehicle is running and don't impede the normal operation of you DOT approved lights. Security guards and tow trucks use these lights but its illegal to drive with them.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

strobes are legal here, but like pretty much everyone has said, illegal if the vehicle is moving/on the road.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
It's not impersonating a police officer unless they're red or blue. You don't have to pull over for a flashing white light.
Fall's under the same column. No law about impersonating a first responder, so locally it's charged as impersonating a police officer. Construction vehicles, public or private doing roadside work can use strobes or wig wags and ems, fire and police responding to calls. If your on a public street with the wig wags, strobes, red, blue lights and not on a call on official business, it's impersonating. Pretty strict here after the mayor got pulled over by a security guard with blue lights pranking traffic, not to mention our local so called "Fugitive Recovery Agents" purchasing full police package Crown Vics complete with lights and sirens and tearing 100mph through town on the way to look for a bounty. These guys really stirred a stink and put a Ford Dealership in some serious hot water. They're visiting some bounties down at Angola State Pen.

Last edited by unit505; 03-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by unit505
Fall's under the same column. No law about impersonating a first responder, so locally it's charged as impersonating a police officer. Construction vehicles, public or private doing roadside work can use strobes or wig wags and ems, fire and police responding to calls. If your on a public street with the wig wags, strobes, red, blue lights and not on a call on official business, it's impersonating. Pretty strict here after the mayor got pulled over by a security guard with blue lights pranking traffic, not to mention our local so called "Fugitive Recovery Agents" purchasing full police package Crown Vics complete with lights and sirens and tearing 100mph through town on the way to look for a bounty. These guys really stirred a stink and put a Ford Dealership in some serious hot water. They're visiting some bounties down at Angola State Pen.
http://policelink.monster.com/traini...ors?print=true

The Mayors there, and some more funny stuff.

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp...type=printable

And that I think is the bounty hunters.

Wow.

Quick Reply: turn headlights into strobe lights?