Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starting

Hey so I have a 1989 Ford F-150 and I am having trouble with the ignition. When I turn the key the radio turns on and everything works but it is not turning over. And in order for it to turn over I have to mess with the switching it back and forth from park to reverse in order to make a connection. and there is a sweet spot I hit after jostling it a couple times (and what seems like creates a connection) everything starts up and I put it back in park quickly and turn the key back to neutral and drive on. Does any one know what is wrong? I currently have the steering column pulled and replaced the ignition coil and switch so I feel like it is a connection issue. Any help is appreciated...
Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I feel really dumb... after literally working on my truck all day it turns out that the ignition switch was lose so when i turned the key and the actuator arm pushed on the "other rod" it just wasn't getting a full connection because well it was loose and got pushed down. just thought i'd say that just incase someone else has the same issue. although now that I tightened the switch down on he column, and after having the steering wheel pulled off and everything taken apart down to the actuator arm and put back together my truck only fires up in neutral,although it fires up better then ever before and i am still able to shift into reverse, drive, park etc..with no issue I was just wondering if I did something wrong and if it will bite me in the $*# down the road?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Tilt column? That rod is a common problem especially with tilt.

Quick Reply: trouble starting