Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Steering Slop

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Dailydriving300ci-of-fury

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Steering Slop

Hey guys. Trying to figure out why my steering wanders around. There's been a couple threads started on the same issue, just trying to see what the main cause could be in my case.

The rag joint feels pretty tight, but the steering shaft has a little play in it. Not sure if that little of play could result in THAT much steering slop. And then there's a deeper sounding clunk that could be coming from the steering box itself? When I turn the steering wheel back and forth it clunks before the wheels start to move.

Here's a few videos for yall. Thanks guys.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

A little bit on the sector shaft is a lot at the wheel. Same for the box.
Screwed up radius arm bushings or brackets will make a clunk when you turn the wheel.
Looks like your steering is new, if the ball joints and steering and radius arm bushings are all tight then you're looking at alignment (adjust toe-in at the very least) to stop it from wandering.
Then the sector shaft and the steering box will have to be considered to lessen the play
Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
A little bit on the sector shaft is a lot at the wheel. Same for the box. Screwed up radius arm bushings or brackets will make a clunk when you turn the wheel. Looks like your steering is new, if the ball joints and steering and radius arm bushings are all tight then you're looking at alignment (adjust toe-in at the very least) to stop it from wandering. Then the sector shaft and the steering box will have to be considered to lessen the play
Funny you mention all that. I forgot to make it known that the radius arm brackets, radius arm bushings, tie rods, and ball joints are all fairly new. Truck was just aligned less than a week ago. The alignment was done by a friend at a meineke express. Everything actually lined up close to perfect. The only thing off was the toe.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

OK, watched the videos. That sector shaft is beat. Replace it - don't put a bolt through, it has to be able to collapse in an accident so you don't get a steering column through your chest.
Steering box is in trouble too from the sound of that clunk. Just look for a low mile JY one and adjust it up before you install it.
With the rest of what you've done it should steer like brand new when you're done
Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same problem here, did the new intermediate shaft fix the slop or did you have to do a new steering box as well?

Last edited by Buckoff; 10-27-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 PM

I actually haven't even replaced anything. Been working on my mustang project lately. Just dealing with the slop for now.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you dont mind spending the cash ive heard good things about the Borgeson shafts. Im debating on grabbing one.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Crownman
If you dont mind spending the cash ive heard good things about the Borgeson shafts. Im debating on grabbing one.
I'm grabbing one as soon as I get the money.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Probably getting a new brake booster today instead. Mines been hissing when I hit the brakes and the brakes are tough to push. I'd rather be able to stop. Haha

Quick Reply: Steering Slop