Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

rear end click

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end click

I need help diagnosing a rear end click when i quickly accelerate, mostly happens after a stop. it is not consistant and the number of clicks is any where from 1-5

I checked the diff, took the cover off replaced it with a pro launch used mobil 1 full synthetic 75w-90 and checked the old fluid there werent any metal shavings and the gears looked great so i dont think its a diff issue atleast within the housing.

i do have trans crossmember issues but i addressed them for now and everything is torqued down to manual specs, so i dont believe that to be the issue,. when i drive the sound comes from the rear end sounds further down than the trans.

recently replaced all shocks with billstein i rechecked the bolts everything looks good didnt have the issue after they were replaced. but the leaf spring clips are a little loose escpecially on back left but they have always been like that and the clicks are pretty loud i dont think the clips can make a sound that loud

i looked at the drive shaft everything feels solid theres no play in the u-joints and there isnt any of that red powder that can occur with wearing u joints so i think the driveshaft is good

last time i had the truck jacked up i didnt have any play in the wheels so i think the wheel bearings are ok but i can recheck that to make sure,

checked the spare tire set up everything is tight and not making any noise

not quite sure where to go from here would it be a decent idea to check brakes, could it be an issue with parking brakes?

any ideas or things to look at would be much appreciated, i tried searching the topic for a while and checking what was said but i havent found the issue yet

thank you for the help
Old 05-05-2023, 01:07 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

you might find a deserted cul-de-sac or parking lot and do a few tight circles, while you have a "listener" see if you can pin point the noise. If he hears something trade places and see if you hear the same thing.

does do it (or something else) in reverse

automatic or manual trans? clutch in or out, all gears and reverse? 4 wheel drive??

need to know more details about the vehicle
Old 05-05-2023, 01:25 PM

I can give that a try, i might also take it to the auto hobby shop on base and throw it up on the lift and maybe try that to see if i can find where its coming from, but having a friend drive it in a cul de sac or parking lot might be a little easier/quicker so ill try to do that first.

sorry i should have included more info in the first post.

96 f150
2wd
302 w/ 4R70W automatic trans
8.8 rear end
overdrive on

never hear the clicking in reverse, only in drive, and 95% of the time when starting from a stop, if i take off softly i dont usually hear it but when i give it a little gas at a stop ill hear the clicking

other than the clicking everything else runs and sounds great, i dont feel any lag mpg has stayed the same so i dont think theres a drag on the running gear. theres no pops in stearing or weird things happening when i take corners. it run smoothly, and even when it does click i dont feel anything like a skip or jump which makes me think its not a stripped/stripping gear

also there are no trouble codes
Old 05-05-2023, 11:21 PM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Does that driveshaft have a center support bearing? And how does it attach to the trans, with a slip yoke, or a bolt flange?
Old 05-06-2023, 09:12 AM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

My truck had a mystery clicking similar to what you describe when I first got it. The driveshaft was tight without abnormal movement or other telltale signs of universal joint wear. However, when I removed the driveshaft it was quite apparent that one of the universal joints was completely shot. Both got replaced with quality parts and the mysterious click disappeared.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:08 AM

Received 502 Likes on 435 Posts

Your idea of getting it up on a lift is the best idea. Everyone else is just guessing.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:18 AM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

The lift was the best idea from the beginning.

Just facts in my response, no guessing at all. Of course, a mysterious, sporadic clicking noise could have many sources of origin, only one of which i commented on.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:11 AM

cool ill try to find the time to throw it on a lift and check it out

and thats interesting that your drive shaft felt/looked good until removed, maybe ill go ahead and pull it just to double check.

and to answer it has no center support bearing and uses a slip yoke in the front

sorry for the delay i had drill this past weekend and have a kid on the way so time is a little limited right now, but thank you all for the help/patience so far

Quick Reply: rear end click