Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

lurchin' jumpin' and sputterin' (NEED HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Andrew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Question lurchin' jumpin' and sputterin' (NEED HELP)

ok. heres the story. at a red light and go to take off and i press the gas pedal and it barely goes anywhere for about 3 seconds, then it sputters and starts to go.

This is while running on the front tank. next light it does the same thing so i switch to the rear tank and it runs just fine. it has been doing this "losing power" thing for 3 days now and i am wondering if it is a problem. the gauge doesnt work on the front, but i know it has at least a half a tank. everything works fine on the rear.

does anyone know why this happens or what may cause it? It shouldnt be the fuel pump because it was replace 3 months ago.

'94
4.9L
2wd
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by red1994ford
ok. heres the story. at a red light and go to take off and i press the gas pedal and it barely goes anywhere for about 3 seconds, then it sputters and starts to go.

This is while running on the front tank. next light it does the same thing so i switch to the rear tank and it runs just fine. it has been doing this "losing power" thing for 3 days now and i am wondering if it is a problem. the gauge doesnt work on the front, but i know it has at least a half a tank. everything works fine on the rear.

does anyone know why this happens or what may cause it? It shouldnt be the fuel pump because it was replace 3 months ago.

'94
4.9L
2wd
Could be a bunch of different stuff. Error code scans, Fuel & Vac pressures. might help.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Andrew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ymeski56
Could be a bunch of different stuff. Error code scans, Fuel & Vac pressures. might help.
I was going to see about checking on it this weekend. do you know of scanners and how much they cost?

for now im just running off of the rear tank because it works fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It totally sounds like there's a problem with the front pump even though it's new.

You don't need a scanner, just follow the directions at the sticky at the top of this section.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by red1994ford
I was going to see about checking on it this weekend. do you know of scanners and how much they cost?

for now im just running off of the rear tank because it works fine.
http://www.handsontools.com/Equus-In...ol_p_5574.html

Quick Reply: lurchin' jumpin' and sputterin' (NEED HELP)